Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in the Dominican Republic soon for a few weeks, and will take along a few games. I meet other vacationers at the resort I'm going to, and locals. What would be some good ones to take along?

Here are the criteria:
Quick easy rules
Non-language dependent
Beer friendly
Fast playing time
Appeals to wide range of ages and cultures
Compact, has to fit in luggage

What I have in mind right now:
Martian Dice
Jungle Speed
Ra:The Dice Game

Thanks for your consideration of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming by non-language dependent you mean language 'INdependent'...
Also, I'm not sure if you want games that don't have text, or that you want games where there isn't much 'talking' cause some of these games certainly involve talking and have a large 'social' aspect to them.

In any case, try

Coloretto
TransAmerica (more compact and easier than Ticket to Ride)
Cartagena
Biblios
No Thanks!
For Sale
The Resistance
Bohnanza
Hey, That's My Fish!
Carcassonne
Finca
Hgh Society
Dixit
Jamaica (seems apropos, no?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
Hey, That's My Fish! (the $12 version)

No words in either game, both easy to explain and fast to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Wimpout

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
I will be in the Dominican Republic soon for a few weeks, and will take along a few games. I meet other vacationers at the resort I'm going to, and locals. What would be some good ones to take along?

Here are the criteria:
Quick easy rules
Non-language dependent
Beer friendly
Fast playing time
Appeals to wide range of ages and cultures
Compact, has to fit in luggage

What I have in mind right now:
Martian Dice
Jungle Speed
Ra:The Dice Game

Thanks for your consideration of this.

The first thing I thought of were abstracts. A lot of very good abstracts pack up in drawstring bags and have little to no in-game language, so as long as you can explain the rules to a non-native English speaker, you can play the game quite happily.

The shortlist:

- Hive (Comes with its own bag that'll fit all the tiles and the rules)
- Six (ditto)
- Palago (ditto)
- Pentago (board comes with a lid that turns into a tray for the marbles; rules are WAY to easy to bother carrying around)
- Zertz (the game doesn't come with a bag, but find or make a 4"x6" drawstring bag and you can easily fit all the balls/rings)
- Linja (dunno if it has it's own bag, but like Zertz you can easily make one to hold the pawns and sticks)
- Blokus To Go (pick it up at Target; it's a self-contained version of Travel Blokus that folds in on itself and holds the pieces where you put 'em)
- Carcassonne (if you want something less perfect-information; there are pictures on the Geek of a custom baggable Carc that uses the bag as the scoreboard. Or, you can use an ordinary drawstring bag and score it on paper)

Definitely pack a set of Icehouse Pyramids if you have them; they are probably the most portable and versatile game system known to man. A Treehouse set packs up in a pocket-size tube; a full set in four colors takes a little more room but you're still talking about something you can easily slip in your luggage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade
Sluff Off!
Fairy Tale
Cockroach Poker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too Many Cooks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out these:

Wizard
The City
Cockroach Salad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These two work great for this situation (I speak from personal experience):

Simply Ingenious
Cabo

The Einfach game is a push-your-luck affair that uses the symbols from Ingenious but has very little of the gameplay of that strategy game. It's still a wonderful way to play while sitting around with people and it's available in the U.S. in the Ingenious Challenges set (in Europe you can buy it by itself). It takes 10 minutes to play, is fun and packs up tiny.

Cabo is just a deck of cards (and could be played with a standard deck of cards, but then you'd miss out on strangers asking you what you're playing when they see the colorful pictures), so it's small, too. The gameplay is delicious and you can play for hours with the right group. It's part memory, part screw-your-neighbor, part luck and the few English words on the cards should be easy to explain to everyone (there are only three to remember). Both of these games would make wonderful additions to your luggage, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
I will be in the Dominican Republic soon for a few weeks, and will take along a few games. I meet other vacationers at the resort I'm going to, and locals.

Next time, I do urge you to contact the local geeks.

Hope you had a nice staying at the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.