Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
I bundled this with an online order that includes a couple of preorders, so it won't be here for a couple of weeks -- but when it arrives, I want to get the stickers right.

Are there any common pitfalls to avoid? Tips from stickering veterans? Or am I overthinking this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like everything else in life, practice makes perfect. I use tweezers, holding a corner of the sticker till I square it up with the block, then press down one corner to fix it and smooth from there. After a dozen or so it will be automatic....although that does not make it go all that much faster. For double sided blocks, you must get in the habit of turning the block over the same way each time to ensure that the "top" of the block stays oriented the same direction for each side. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Good tips -- thank you! I would probably have just used my fat fingers, but now I think tweezers sound like a much better approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing that I've noticed is that with the Columbia stickers for their block games, they will slide a bit after applied. So if one is off center, I don't try to peel it up and replace it. I just apply pressure with my thumb and slide it a bit to center it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat! That's really good to know -- thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do it drunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
Good tips -- thank you! I would probably have just used my fat fingers, but now I think tweezers sound like a much better approach.

I peel the sticker by bending the sticker-sheet and keep it between my fingers (my fingers touch the sides of the sticker). You have to apply the correct amount of pressure so the sticker doesn't bend or in the worst case, slip from your fingers!

I place it lightly on the block so i can move it and when in place i push it down using a tissue.

I applied hundreds of stickers that way without ruining a single one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
I peel the sticker by bending the sticker-sheet and keep it between my fingers (my fingers touch the sides of the sticker). You have to apply the correct amount of pressure so the sticker doesn't bend or in the worst case, slip from your fingers!

I place it lightly on the block so i can move it and when in place i push it down using a tissue.

I'm not sure I'm dextrous enough for this method, but I can visualize it in my head. Thanks for sharing!

What's the tissue for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use fingers. The key for me is to ensure the sticker is centralised before applying pressure to stick it to the block. I do this by checking the gap between the edge of the sticker and the edge of the block. For some games this is quite big (say 1mm to 2mm), for Sekigahara I recall it was smaller (I stickered it a few months ago).

I only fully press the sticker home when I'm happy it's centralised. As previous posters have noted after a few blocks it becomes second nature.

I keep a scalpel handy as if I do mess up a block (i.e. it goes on crooked or too much to one side) I can slide a scalpel under a corner to work the sticker loose without damaging it before re-applying.

I've been stickering game blocks since the late eighties (Columbia's Rommel in the Desert was my first IIRC) and have yet to have one come off - put them on straight, press them down hard to secure then forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another tip is if there is any noticeable blemish on the block---
Put the sticker on the blemish side or make it so the blemish will go on the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
I applied these stickers, while riding in a car, on a bumpy road! Mine turned out good and what's more...the color of the blocks is forgiving when it comes to sekigahara and the stickers on them! I went slow and did one at a time but I have a steady hand.

that's not advice...but just sayin' ; D

good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a funny thing to want tips for, but I appreciate them! I feel much more confident that I won't fuck my copy up horribly when it arrives -- thank you all for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
What's the tissue for?

Drying your tears when you screw up the stickers on your $60.00 game ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.