Risk Legacy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Game 1 and 2. Going for the win. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got Risk Legacy for X-mas. Were going to have 5 people. Myself, a risk veteran, one new player, one experienced player and 2 people who will be my arch-nemesis in the game. The first, one of my best friends, whatever one above veteran would be, he would be it. Him and I play all kinds of strategy games together. We're equally sharp at knowing how to fight an imaginary war but he has more years at it. The second is my girlfriend. She has some experience with strategy games, but her main drive will be... she loves to be competitive with me and I have no doubt she will rise to the challenge to face me. Plus she wants to see the anger in my face when she names everything after herself. I have quite the battles ahead of me.

I've been reading that the first few games are lighting fast. So I'm trying to come up with a plan to fit into this playing style.

*One note* Were most likely not going to pick different factions at the start of every game. I still have to talk with one person but it sounds like that everyone will pick one Faction and play with them to the bitter end.

I'm most likely getting Imperial Balkania. It seems like a lot of people are going for the starting power of rounding up. I would I like to talk about the other power and hear anyone's thoughts on it.

You only need 2 more red starts to win in game 1. And your only able to draw cards if you take a territory from another player. So most likely on turn one, you'll not be getting a card. But the other starting power for Imperial Balkania lets you get a card when getting 4 territories from expanding. Sense it looks like the first few turns is all about expanding, it wold seem that Imperial Balkania could get the 4 cards needed for a red star, a lot faster than anyone else. With luck in getting the red star under the coin pile or with skill getting someone Capital, you could win the first game by turn 4-5. Even better it you get ammo shortage to throw down on someone's capital.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Game 2 will be a little tricky. I think the best reward you can do right off the bat, is start a Major City. With the Major City your already molding the map to have great starting positions. Pending on were the scars are, its hard to say were this might go. But I'm currently thinking Europe or Africa to be able to strike out anywhere in the world.

I hoping to start playing within a week or 2. A lot of holiday things rapping up yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for me? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played with Imperial Balkania last night, and my copy has the starting power of gaining a resource card even without conquering. I think that it would be a much better power if playing with only three people, and it gets progressively worse as you add more players on. In a four player game, I was only able to use the power once, as I quickly got sandwiched between two other factions, and had to start fighting for territories anyway.

Even with the other starting power, Balkania is definitely more powerful with fewer players. We've only played two games on my copy so far, but we haven't even gotten to the point where anybody has gotten more than their minimum three armies from territories + population. I assume this will change now that we have many more cities on the board.

Comparing the two powers, it seems like the expansion one only helps in the early game and the rounding one only helps in mid-to-late game, while both are better suited to having fewer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Comparing the two powers, it seems like the expansion one only helps in the early game and the rounding one only helps in mid-to-late game, while both are better suited to having fewer players.

Player Elimination Spoiler
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Getting the comeback power which lets you recruit in one empty, start-eligible space each turn helps the "sandwiching" problem a great deal, especially if some territories become resource-rich but due to scars/cities are not start-eligible.

9 Minor Cities Spoiler
Biohazards have the potential to leave empty spaces on the board well into the game, either because people avoid them for the obvious reason, or that they end up removing the last troop from the territory when supply lines run thin.

3 Missiles Spoiler
The Fallout Zone, while expensive to take (2 troops minimum), is often abandoned unless the Mutants make it their home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Dexter345

Thanks for the insight. Defiantly somethings for me to think about.

@ bhz1

I'm doing my best to avoid spoilers. Is the general consensuses of what your trying to say;

expansion one only helps in the early game and the rounding one only helps in mid-to-late game could/can change based on hidden things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hound Archon wrote:
I'm doing my best to avoid spoilers. Is the general consensuses of what your trying to say;

expansion one only helps in the early game and the rounding one only helps in mid-to-late game could/can change based on hidden things?

Yes. Depending on the game assets that become available as packets are unlocked, the viability of 4+ expansions a turn will improve over time, because the initial round of turns will always be limited in size.

Of course, having a favorable starting set of 4 Resource Cards out also affects Balkania's choices as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Barbuto
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hound Archon wrote:
I still have to talk with one person but it sounds like that everyone will pick one Faction and play with them to the bitter end.

An interesting idea, but I'd wager your group won't always play like this as the game evolves.

Hound Archon wrote:
I'm most likely getting Imperial Balkania. It seems like a lot of people are going for the starting power of rounding up. I would I like to talk about the other power and hear anyone's thoughts on it.

My group also picked the rounding up starting power because we thought the other one was garbage. The "take card by expanding" power will most likely get you only 2-3 extra territory cards at the beginning of the game.

But the more I play the more I see how useful that is. Those extra cards mean you're two to three turns closer to buying a red star, and in a few of the games I've played, the game was decided by who could buy one the fastest.

Plus, the more things get revealed, the more you'll how balanced the starting faction powers really are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice comes from somebody who has yet to open any of the sealed packages, and I feel like that's the kind of advice you would want for the spirit of the game. Making your starting power decision based on information you shouldn't gain until the future seems to go against the general conceit of Risk Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sousa
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise against always playing as the same faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander West
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I echo all the people who suggest that committing to one faction for the entire 15 game campaign is a mistake. Good and bad things may happen to factions, and part of the balance of the game is being able to choose or avoid factions based on how powerful are.

As far as Imperial Balkania goes, our group decided the round-up power was pretty boring, and mostly a (very slightly) weaker version of Khan Industry's power. We chose to give Balkania the expansion power, and it has proven to be great. Even if you only get a bonus card on turn 1, you are one turn ahead of your rivals in terms of getting 4 cards to turn in for a star - a potent advantage!

I have won 2 of 4 of the games in our campaign, and I think Balkania's expansion power is the 2nd best of the powers on the different factions. (This on a 5 player map. I imagine it would be better in a 3 player map, since people spend more turns expanding and fights may come more slowly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An update on my Strategy.

Imperial Balkania and their getting a resource card for expanding 4+ territories was king in game 1 and 2.

I was able to play them in game 1. On turn 4 I was able to turn 3 cards in and have enough armies that turn to take out the other two capitals on the board.

In game 2, my g/f pick Imperial Balkania and with only two other players in the game, she too was able to get a lot of use out of her power. Turning in 2 cards(2 coins each) on turn 3 and get the win.

Game 3 hasn't happen yet, but when it does it will be 4-5 people so we'll see if the power is still good or not then. But so far the Imperial Balkania is 2-0 in my world.

Thanks to everyone here and else where who persuaded me away from using the same factions for all 15 games. I do believe I like better, switching every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.