Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

Several of you have emailed me, asking about my custom redesign and rules, so I've decided to give you a brief summary of the rules I use, and a brief how-to on doing your own.

The Figures

I use the '67 Big Men from Miggle (http://www.miggle.com), both for the nostalgic look of Electric Football and their size; they're a little easier to paint and decal than some of the other figures.

I cut the bases from my figures, and remount them onto Games Workshop 25mm round bases. This is a bit tricky, and time consuming. You need a good pair of hobby cutters/nippers, and some hobby files.

Carefully cut the base from the figure, then trim as close as possible to the feet without taking any off of the player. Then finish by filing around the feet. It's a good idea to leave a little of the base below the foot, if possible, but you need to file the bottom of the foot relatively flat for mounting.

To mount the players use the Games Workshop super glue or a good plastic weld. DO NOT use a cheap plastic glue, like Testors, or you won't get a good bond. If using a plastic weld, splurge for Tenax 7R or Micro-Mark's Same Stuff. I recommend a good plastic weld over the super glue, but both have worked well for me.

I paint the outside edges of the bases for player positions, and not only does it help denote movement but really helps speed things along when setting up plays. Linemen have red edges, the backfield (RB and QB) and linebackers have yellow edges, and receivers and DBs have green edges.

The Rules

I pretty much use the All-Pro rules as-is, with a few changes for the miniatures, and I modified or replaced the passing and kicking games with custom dice. Originally I was going to add rules for player strengths, and rolling for blocks and tackles, but I've simply fallen in love with the simplicity (and strategy) of the original game.

When blocking, you'll need markers to show when a player is controlling a block. The player blocked is simply removed from the board, and the BLOCK! marker is placed beneath the player controlling the block. I use the 1-1/4" wooden squares from Michaels craft store.

The Custom PPK Die

The PPK Die (see Gallery) gives better passing results, as well as takes over the complete kicking game. You can use the image from the gallery to print your own stickers for blank dice, and you can even use regular dice with the PPK Die graphic as a reference.

Passing and Interceptions

For a short pass, roll both PPK dice, and if a football symbol (upper left, or odd result) comes up on either die the pass is complete. This gives you a 75% chance of completion, as opposed to only 50% in the original game.

For a long pass, roll one PPK die, and if a football symbol comes up the pass is complete. This gives a 50% chance, as opposed to 25% in the original, and when combined with the short pass results the percentages are a lot closer to actual results.

Interceptions can only occur when a pass is incomplete. The defender chooses a defensive player eligible for the interception, on any space along the line of the pass (not just an even space!), and if he rolls that space number the player intercepts the ball. Roll one PPK die for a short pass, and two for long, and consult the die number in the lower left.

Kicking Game

The PPK Dice replace the entire kicking game, which helps speed up play AND keeps you from having to paint special teams...

To perform a kickoff, roll one PPK Die and consult the yardage result (upper right, in the black circle). This is the yardline where the kick is received. Now, roll two PPK Dice, add the yardage results together and this is the number of yards the kick is returned.

If you receive the kickoff at the "0" yardline you can either choose to roll for a return, or down the ball for a touchback.

To perform a punt, roll two PPK Dice, add the yardage results (upper right) together, then add an additional 30 yards. This is the number of yards the punt travels from the scrimmage line. Now roll one PPK die, and this is the number of yards the punt is returned.

To perform a field goal (or extra point) you must be on the 35 yardline or closer to the endzone. Field goals can't be attempted outside of the 35 yardline. Roll a PPK Die, and the ref symbol in the lower right will tell you if the attempt is good or no good.

The Field, Goal Posts, Chain Gang and Football

I make my own field, and have it printed at Office Max, but you can use the original field without any issues. There is a company out there making nice custom Fantasy Fields (http://www.ff-fields.com), and I'm sure they'd make you a field for "regular" football, but I'm guessing it's fairly expensive.

The goal posts and sideline markers are from Miggle, and I mounted them on various bases from Games Workshop.

The football is a button from Michaels, with the button hook cut off.

Other Stuff

I also ordered the ref figures from Miggle, just for fun, and I'll likely order the coaches and other goodies.

That's it! If you decide to do your own, good luck -- it's a huge project, as I've said, but it looks great when you're done.

-Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stellartony .
msg tools
Great work on this restore. I am currently new to this and would like to know how or where you got the fabric board print out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the interest of speeding up the game, did you ever try reducing the number of squares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
The Field, Goal Posts, Chain Gang and Football

I make my own field, and have it printed at Office Max, but you can use the original field without any issues. There is a company out there making nice custom Fantasy Fields (http://www.ff-fields.com), and I'm sure they'd make you a field for "regular" football, but I'm guessing it's fairly expensive.

The goal posts and sideline markers are from Miggle, and I mounted them on various bases from Games Workshop.

The football is a button from Michaels, with the button hook cut off.

FWIW I found a good sized felt football field and goalposts in these toys fairly cheaply.
http://www.kaskeykids.com/store/football-action-figures/foot...

Much more expensive, but very nice are the "All Star MVP Figures"
http://orlando.backpage.com/AntiquesForSale/15-nfl-all-star-...

Unfortunately you have to buy three packs of each team to get two teams!

And then there's the button from Michaels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:

Kicking Game

To perform a kickoff, roll one PPK Die and consult the yardage result (upper right, in the black circle). This is the yardline where the kick is received. Now, roll two PPK Dice, add the yardage results together and this is the number of yards the kick is returned.

If you receive the kickoff at the "0" yardline you can either choose to roll for a return, or down the ball for a touchback.

Does this mean that your first single dice roll of "6" means you can run for a return or does it mean that if you're first roll is "6" AND your next two dice rolls are ALSO "6" then you can run for a return or touchback?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.