• [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested to read the reviews when they start rolling in. Right now I'm holding of on doing a Wiz-War PnP to see how FFG's version plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I loved the classic Wiz War and was looking forward to this reprint but each preview card I see with microfiche text makes me a little less enthusiastic.

Wiz War was not about bringing the game to a halt while reading several paragraphs of microscopic card text (that game is called War of the Ring).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Moos
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
Wiz War was not about bringing the game to a halt while reading several paragraphs of microscopic card text (that game is called War of the Ring).

That's right. The classic Wiz War was about reading the card, then discuss the effects, then look up the exact meaning in the FAQ, then check online if there's a better explanation of how it should work under special circumstances.

Granted you mostly did that only once for a card. So after reading all the tiny text on a card in the new version, you probably remember roughly how it works and only need to read the important parts (Move 4, punch with dice, only counterspells).

For what it's worth, I'm glad if the card text will be printed less ambiguous this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So these cards mention transforming yourself or a "creature you control." Will this set have creature summons as well? Or is that text in place for an expansion?

By the way, the "Upcoming Page" now lists Wiz-War as "On the Boat" (instead of At the Printer). YEAH!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
scud wrote:
kakupacal wrote:

That's right. The classic Wiz War was about reading the card, then discuss the effects, then look up the exact meaning in the FAQ, then check online if there's a better explanation of how it should work under special circumstances.

I'm not looking to get into a nerd-off with you but when I played Wiz War it was 1983 and the FAQs and online rules resources were a little sparse at the time and yet (GASP!) we still managed to struggle through against all odds. Those were grim times, for certain.

But yeah, you're right, since this is a FFG production I am sure that the density of the card text will absolutely preclude the slightest rules ambiguities. Hell, it'll probably be their first game that doesn't require a living FAQ that is updated quarterly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
... and let me add that even with all of my snarky bitching, I'm still looking forward to seeing this officially in print again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to wonder how big the cards are. Given that there are around 160 of them I expect these are going to be the "Corey" cards (the smaller FFG cards). This might make reading all that text a bit tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The manual says the cards are sized for the FFG Green Sleeves (Standard American Board Game), so they should be the larger FFG cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.