BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Party Game (NYE) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Blades
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm looking for recommendations for game to play on New Years Eve. Typical crowd is mid-late teens. They are used to games like Pictionary, Blurt, Phase10, Apples to Apples.

So knowing all of this, what do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Benny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations
Jungle Speed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Telestrations.

Reverse Charades is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benny Blades wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for game to play on New Years Eve. Typical crowd is mid-late teens. They are used to games like Pictionary, Blurt, Phase10, Apples to Apples.

So knowing all of this, what do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Benny

If the group likes Apples to Apples, the common "next-step" recommendation is Dixit. It plays up to 6 players officially, and would probably support playing in pairs up to about 12 players. It is less party-oriented than A2A.

True party games that I have liked (despite the mushy, non-thinking quality of most of the genre)

- Cranium Turbo - The original Cranium is a very long game; Turbo is a lighter (if you can believe it) version of the game with much the same thrills. It's usually good to put in front of a group of 8+ and works well up to about 30 people (4 teams of 6-7).

- Catchphrase - Taboo meets Hot Potato. All participants gather around in a circle, alternating between two teams. The central component is a "puck"; it has a word showing on it, which the person holding the puck has to get his team to say, without saying the word, any part of the word, or spelling the word. When a team guesses the word, the puck passes to the next person, who presses a "next" button on the puck and does the same thing with a new word. Get caught holding the puck when time runs out and the other team gets a point; 2 points if the other team, in one try, can guess the word on the puck that stumped the team holding the puck.

- The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow - A commercialization of the basic "Werewolf" or "Mafia" game. Requires at least 8 people plus a "narrator". Each player besides the narrator gets a "role", which they must keep secret; most are "Villagers", but one or two are "Werewolves". The game is played over several "days"; each night, the Werewolves secretly kill one Villager. In the morning, the Villagers (with the Werewolves mixed in) find out who has died, and decide to lynch one of the other players whom they think is a Werewolf. The Villagers win by eliminating all Werewolves; the Werewolves win by surviving long enough to eliminate all Villagers. In addition to the two basic roles, additional roles such as the Little Girl, Witch, Fortune Teller and Hunter give the Townsfolk a few advantages, while Cupid and the Lovers can give two players a completely different objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Telestrations!!: We played this for hours and hours over the Holiday break. Epic hilariousness. Try to seat the worst drawer next to the worst guesser, and it's a guaranteed good time...

-1 Wits & Wagers: None of the teens in my groups have enjoyed this, and I'm not even sure if I do.

+1 The Resistance

Dixit is probably awesome with the right people, but it didn't go over well with our group. I personally loathe Apples to Apples (due to the scoring by popularity contest), but would play Dixit again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason William
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that can accomodate a lot of people and usually create a lot of laughter...thus good times...

Bubble Talk
Crappy Birthday
Faces
Wits & Wagers
Liar's Dice
Reverse Charades
Dixit
Word Jam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pit
So easy to learn and amazing for a crowd. This game is out of control! So much fun. Teens, adults, kids; everyone I've played with loves it. Jeeze its game 140 on the geek! Been around forever. Oh and its really cheap to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
I personally loathe Apples to Apples (due to the scoring by popularity contest), but would play Dixit again.

The "scoring by popularity contest" aspect can be minimized by making sure that the judge for each round does not know who put down each card. Laying them face-down and having the judge give them a quick overhand shuffle is usually all that's necessary. Then, he just picks the one he likes best, not the one he knows is his SO's. However, being good at the game still requires you to know your audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liko81 wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
I personally loathe Apples to Apples (due to the scoring by popularity contest), but would play Dixit again.

The "scoring by popularity contest" aspect can be minimized by making sure that the judge for each round does not know who put down each card. Laying them face-down and having the judge give them a quick overhand shuffle is usually all that's necessary. Then, he just picks the one he likes best, not the one he knows is his SO's. However, being good at the game still requires you to know your audience.

When we play, we actively lobby for votes...which negates the shuffling.

I've played it with the shuffling, but then I feel like it's luck of the draw on the cards I get. It just isn't fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you keep it light, Dice games are always fun. the key may be to break people into groups playing different games, so they see other groups playing something else and want to switch and try it. Then they want their buddy to be in the same game as them so they can beat em, etc....

King Of Tokyo is great for up to 6. MMmmmmmm Brains is good for 5. But both play so fast, you will have people jumping back and forth. the downtime between finishing one game and waiting to play the other is long enough to socialize and grab a snack, but not so long as to become boring.

I like a lot of easier card games for this also. Lord Of The Fries and Gimme the Brain are great )yeah, notice a theme here in my house?) but they are longer than the dice games, so mix them in with care.

Guillotine is another good one for decent sized group play, but still quick and easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every group that I have played with has loved playing Catch Phrase (the electronic version). And we end up playing it nearly every time we get together. We just recently received Quelf for X-mas and that has been quite a hit with my family (both young and old). If they like silly games where incriminating videos and pictures of them doing goofy things just might surface on the internet the next day I recommend Quelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
Easy... Ca$h 'n Gun$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.