Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I played the second edition on Christmas Day after having not played WoTR for several years. I needed a complete re-read of the rules as a refresher.

As we were playing the following questions came up. We were able to determine from the rules what the correct answer was, but a clearer positive statement would have made it easier to sort out.

1. Is the fellowship (with companions in it) considered a "companion" for purposes of allowing play of cards that have a prerequisite of "if a companion is present?".

2. Is the fellowship (without companions in it) considered a companion for purposes of allowing play of cards that have a prerequisite of "if a companion is present?".

3. Is the fellowship allowed to declare in a friendly besieged Stronghold?

It is possible that we missed a clear rule that positively states the answers to these questions. I haven't had a chance to go back a re-read the rulebook and since our bias is toward "keeping the game moving" rather than "getting everything right" we didn't search too long or too hard.

If we missed a reference, please post a quote from the rulebook (with section and page reference).

Thanks!

Foob

BTW - the Second Edition rulebook is very well done. The card text is good too. I'm so glad that the Designers, editors, rules readers and playtesters took the time to so thoroughly improve clarity (and therefore out-of-the-box playability).

Thanks (!) too all who took the time to get it right, rather than just re-releasing the previous version with all it's minor warts and flaws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I'll have a go at this, but it might be worth waiting for some others to chip in.

1.Companions enter play when they are separated from
the Fellowship - Page 24 of the rules
To me this means that no you cannot play cards requiring a companion present while they remain in the fellowship, as they are not in play yet.

2. No companions are present if the fellowship is empty (regardless if the above ruling is correct or not), so no.

3. Note: The Fellowship may enter or leave a besieged Stronghold freely. - page 38 of the rules.
So yes, it is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1-2) The Fellowship (with or without Companions in it) is a different "game entity" than Companions it may include, or that may be on the board.

All combat cards who have the presence of "Companions" as a pre-requisite have the wording "if a Companion IS IN THE BATTLE". A Companion is "in the battle" if he's a part of the army fighting the battle.

The Fellowship itself is never "in the battle" and in fact the cards linked to the presence of the Fellowship use the wording "in the same region as the Fellowship".

I understand this might be a little implicit, but in a complex game like WOTR, trying to make everything explicit brings to a very cumbersome (and often, impossible to understand) reading.

But the new card wordings have been revised very carefully, and by a "literal application" of the wording, you should solve most doubts, if not all.

3) Yes, this is now stated (in red ink!) on page 38, because it's an important clarification which was included in the 2nd edition rules.

Thanks for the nice words!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.