Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played STFC for the first time yesterday against another (new) player. We played the recommended 10 VP game, with the standard board layout. It took us 3+ hours, not including explanation time. The box says 60-90 minutes. I had read the rules twice and played a solo trial game the previous evening, but we still had a lot of rules questions during the game. Also, with the mix of ship sizes, it seems each player will typically have four ships in a 10 VP game. More ships means more to manage, which takes more time.

So my question is, do others have experience playing a smaller game with a new player, and how was the game length? I was thinking 7 VP, and removing one "row" from the standard board layout (instead of 5-6-5-6-5, it would be 4-5-4-5-4). A fleet size of seven should result in three ships instead of four. I would still go with three actions, and allow a player to mulligan if they only get two ships (e.g. Excelsior and Enterprise-A). I realize the larger-VP Missions could make a 7-VP game more swingy, but for a learning game I think this is okay.

Just curious if other players have experience with lower-VP games, and how did it affect game length. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 to 8 points would shave about 10-20 min off. Your second game will go quicker, the next a bit quicker, then you will hit your stride. Remember to cycle out missions that you cannot score on, quick scoring missions will also quicken play.

Good luck and...live long and prosper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio
Peru
Lima
Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, first time i played did it for 6 VPs and a 16 tiles map, to explore the game, and a limit on ships to Kirk era , biggest ship the Excelsior for the feds and K'tinga size 3 for the klings , also only one command subdeck, second game we went to 8 VPs and about 20 tiles ,same restriction for ships plus 2 command subdecks, then third and subsequent games standard 10 VPs and all ships with 4 subdecks.
In the first 2 games we assigned the crew directly from the decks, no random.
Hope it helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played another game today with a different new player. We played to 7 VP, and used a 4-5-4-5-4 board layout. It took us 1:45. It seemed like a good size for a learning game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.