Risk: Metal Gear Solid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarifying Bosses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Forrest Welling
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rule book it says that the Boss "battle modifiers" only apply to territories they occupy (pg 8 first sentence of last paragraph in Hire a Boss section), however the cards themselves seem to imply that the dice modifiers (i.e. +1 to all attacking dice from Liquid Ocelot) apply to all dice you roll whether the boss is in the territory or not. On our first game I quickly made a house rule clarification that it only applied to territories they are in, because it seemed that applying it to all made certain bosses vastly superior to others (Ocelot/Snake compared to Eva/Campbell especially). I would like to know how they intended for them to work though for future game sessions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation is that your house rule is the correct and intended way to play it.

For practical purposes you must consider that your boss is one of the pieces IN the territory. So its modifiers only affect when it is involved in a battle.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure what made you think the bonus could be applied to non-boss units.

In all variants of RISK the special bonus that a boss gives to dice rolling has only ever applied to either a territory that boss is attacking or defending since in each case the boss would be in the territory specified.

I do not yet have MGS edition, but I have played it, and that is the way the rules were explained to our game group by the lead designer of the MGS RISK variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Welling
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I viewed it as they could only be used in the territory they occupied, however one of the other people I played with thought that sense only the d8 replacement effect said that it only occurred in that territory that all other combat modifiers applied to all dice rolls. That's when I made the house rule clarification. If you look at the pictures of the Boss cards that were submitted you can see what I'm talking about, and while I agree that it doesn't make much sense, I can see where the player was coming from.

Also I have never played any other risk variant, only plain old risk (in fact the board I have is from the early 90s). Thank you for your fast replies though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTarconis wrote:
I viewed it as they could only be used in the territory they occupied

I am pretty sure the rules state that boss modifiers only apply in the territory they occupied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed gaga
United States
California
flag msg tools
yes, i would definitely have to agree with your house rule. i can only assume that the rules expressed about the bosses in the rule book is the parent rule to each of the bosses abilities, which would be treated as sub-rules to the parent guide. personally, im just basing this off my experiences playing risk 2210 and risk godstorm; all the commanders/gods function only in the territories they occupy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.