Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More specifically, take a break from buying so damn many games.

As some of you may remember from an auction I held earlier in the year, I recently got engaged. We would like to get married in the summer or 2013, so we need to buckle down and start saving.

I have always been horrible at saving. I never needed any extra help to spend my money - and working at a place that allows me to browse BGG pretty much all day has shown me my will power is almost nil.

SO, I am planning on putting myself on a very strict BGG/FLGS diet.

1 I will only be "allowed" on BGG when I am at home, when I do not have schoolwork to do.
2 I am absolutely unsubscribing to the GeekBay and all other auction announcement threads/geeklists.
3 I am only buying the War of the Ring sleeves and the Star Wars LCG for myself. (Other than birthday gifts/birthday money/auction money, these will be the only games I will be allowed to acquire in 2012.)

4 I am going to give away all of my Geek Gold. It is not a whole lot - probably less than 200 after the 2011 Support bonus kicks in, but I hope that this symbolic gesture will help me to stick with my plan.
I've messaged Aldie about holding a contest - I'll post when I hear back. (Or let me know if I should message someone else, or if you know that holding a contest for GG is fine.)

5 I am going to my favorite FLGS one more time - this is where you come in. Looking at my Wishlist and Owned list, what should I get during my "last hurrah" visit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't #5 kinda defeat the whole purpose? Why one last hurrah?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

It's still 2011. Let the guy have his "bachelor party"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
It's still 2010.

That's debatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you that dieting when trying to lose weight (and keep it off) doesn't work. Depravation only causes one to binge every once and a while (I've lost 30kgs and kept it off so I'm not talking out my a**e). I never gave up sweets and chocolate but kept the amount in check instead. I would assume the same would go for any addiction.

I would suggest rather than a last hurrah spend to decide how much you were planning to spend on that trip and assign it as you years board game budget. I suspect you will get a lot more satisfaction keeping any eye out for the optimal spend than one last splurge.

Good idea for option number 2! Remove additional temptation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Very helpful! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not use your Geekgold to try for things in the Games for Geekgold lists? That way you may still get new games...but they won't cost you anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shootfr0mthehip wrote:
GSReis wrote:
It's still 2010.

That's debatable.

Damn! Fixed. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what Louise mentioned. Give yourself a finite budget monthly and/or yearly. That way you can get that new awesome game everyone has been talking about in 2012 by holding off on some card purchases.

There is no way to beat the temptation if you restrain yourself in buying new board games yet still pay a visit to your FLGS for some more cards.

It's either that or you wear those blinders that horses wear whenever you go in the store, so that you can only see ahead - towards your intended purchase. May as well put in some ear plugs so that you can't hear the excitement in the room during on-going games. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh you guys are so silly! Of COURSE, he can do it! I think it's a grand and worthy plan. And I looked at your collection which is really quite awesome (we seem to share the same taste) and your wish list is, too.

I think you should buy either The Castles of Burgundy or Trajan but not because I've played them, but because they're on MY wish list, too!

So have your last hurrah and marry the love of your life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
Oh you guys are so silly! Of COURSE, he can do it! I think it's a grand and worthy plan. And I looked at your collection which is really quite awesome (we seem to share the same taste) and your wish list is, too.

I think you should buy either The Castles of Burgundy or Trajan but not because I've played them, but because they're on MY wish list, too!

Kathy, you ROCK.

Thank you, for reading my post and, instead of thinking, "Here's what I think is wrong about what he said, and the smarter thing he should do instead," you thought, "This is what he has said, and this is what he asked for. I think I can help him out."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:

Kathy, you ROCK.

Thank you, for reading my post and, instead of thinking, "Here's what I think is wrong about what he said, and the smarter thing he should do instead," you thought, "This is what he has said, and this is what he asked for. I think I can help him out."

I just think it sounds like crazy talk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:

Kathy, you ROCK.

Why, thank you! Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
you're not going to buy Stone Age: Style is the Goal when it comes out?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

ugh. Its like you can see into my soul.

And for those of you who care, my last 2011 visit to my FLGS will include Storm of Souls.

What else should I be carrying out with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jobin13 wrote:
bippi wrote:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

ugh. Its like you can see into my soul.

Com'on now, it's not like any of us have to look that far.

I would give you my solution, but it appears you actually play most of your games. So:

a) playing other people's games.
b) getting your unplayed either played or traded

won't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude it's called a budget

just set up a joint account that goes for the wedding fund and you both have money directed deposited into each month

The only thing this plan is going to lead to is resentment in the relationship, because you're sacrificing your hobby for a wedding.

I understand wanting to save, but there are better ways to approach this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.