Subject: Small Rex Minisite Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Lee
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have just missed it the first time around, but I'm pretty sure FFG may have recently added a little animation to the Rex minisite banner. From what I can tell, it depicts the game board, a couple tokens, a few cards, and the sol starship piece. The game board does not look reminiscent of the original Dune; in fact, it reminds me of Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=178...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t like the map. I´m disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, I'm not even sure why they needed to acquire a license at all. There's no Dune left in it, not even the topology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must admit, at first I thought I was looking at a re-use of the Arkham Horror board asset, but there does seems to be differences.

Instead of a territorial map, it's taken on a more definitive location graph. Might simplify movement a good deal.

FYI, if the intent of your post is to continue to state that "it's not Dune", WE KNOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
At this point, I'm not even sure why they needed to acquire a license at all. There's no Dune left in it, not even the topology.

Because the game system itself has to be licensed from Future Pastimes (Peter Olotka, Bill Eberle, Jack Kittredge, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game board would not look reminiscent of Dune - remember it takes place on Mecatol Rex. It looks fine to me.

Also remember that FFG licensed the game system. The reason it is not set on Dune is the dopey Herbert estate would not license the setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
FYI, if the intent of your post is to continue to state that "it's not Dune", WE KNOW.

The intent of the post was to let everyone know that the minisite updated. Other than that, I was merely making an observation that the board is not broken up into wedge like regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, wasn't talking to you Matt. ;P Appreciate the update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Bryan
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Did we already know that they intended to limit it to 5 or 6 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I don't know if I like it or not yet, I hope they give us a little better look at the components soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Neurosion wrote:
Interesting. Did we already know that they intended to limit it to 5 or 6 players?

Where do you get that? The box cover says 3-6. Perhaps you are seeing a "5" in that "3"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
The minisite says 5-6 players in big letters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The picture of the box on the Description page shows "3-6." The Flash-based banner shows 5-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BDSb wrote:
The minisite says 5-6 players in big letters.

I am pretty sure the minisite is incorrect. It was supposed to support 3-6 all along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the new board has about 25 locations at most, compared to the original 42 of Dune. I wonder if that is an attempt to streamline the movement or throw people together more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a fraction of the spaces on the Dune board are really useful, so that's not really a loss. I do think a totally abstract location graph (like in Arkham Horror, for example) cuts down on some of the thematic feel of a game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Only a fraction of the spaces on the Dune board are really useful, so that's not really a loss. I do think a totally abstract location graph (like in Arkham Horror, for example) cuts down on some of the thematic feel of a game, though.

But I think in the process of moving the action from a geographical satellite view to the more planned look of a city, that it works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The text at the bottom of the page says 3-6 players. Why oh why can't FFG proofread effectively?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:

No problem. Also, is there any speculation on how the Sol bombardment is going to be tracked on this board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BVoodoo wrote:
bhz1 wrote:

No problem. Also, is there any speculation on how the Sol bombardment is going to be tracked on this board?

Based on what we've already seen of the Bombardment miniature figure(s), I'm guessing you'll roll a die or turn over a card like in Dune and then move the fleet around the board into different zones. Perhaps the zones are color/symbol-coded to indicate which of the graph nodes will be affected by the bombing run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
Based on what we've already seen of the Bombardment miniature figure(s), I'm guessing you'll roll a die or turn over a card like in Dune and then move the fleet around the board into different zones. Perhaps the zones are color/symbol-coded to indicate which of the graph nodes will be affected by the bombing run?

Yes, but the dust storm circled the circumference of the board, and the edge of every wedge the storm touched was effected. With the Rex board, I'm having trouble visualizing how the bombardment piece will indicate which areas are under bombardment, as it seems the locations are scattered around a square shaped playing area. The other curious thing is the shape of the miniature's base; maybe there are very feint lines on the board that indicate territories that the miniature’s base fits into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another update: Rex just made it back to the front page of FFG's site. Is that indicative of anything I wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BVoodoo wrote:
Another update: Rex just made it back to the front page of FFG's site. Is that indicative of anything I wonder?

It is indicative that they just posted info and cycled it back up front...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Bryan
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
The text at the bottom of the page says 3-6 players. Why oh why can't FFG proofread effectively?!

The flash portion of the page has been fixed, incidentally. 4-9 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.