4 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: How good/dangerous/bad the locations are [SPOILER] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
This statistic is simple based on three categories and shall help groups for one question: "Where shall i go?"

Always when you do not really know where to go you could be able to try to get into one of the "safe" locations. In the current version i did not take into an account if you can get an companion or how dangerous it really is or which ability should be checked, as this would feel like "min/maxing" for the role players here and therefore would be more than what this statistic should be:

Someone else may weight this/that encounter different but as this statistic is aimed for new players as my own group it is good at what it is i would say. It can give you a feeling before you have seen all encounters once which are really a lot of encounters.

1) GOOD
Encounters which always result in a benefit or do not have a bad effect if you fail. Also companions are always rated as good, even if they cost you something and can bring you in danger therefore.

2) DANGEROUS
Encounters which can bring you a benefit if you success some roll.

3) BAD
Encounters which will not bring you something good or spawn a monster which can be dangerous and therefore not be planned well or start another encounter on maybe a different location, as it is hard to calculate what happens then. Of course you could use a travel anywhere encounter to travel to a "GOOD" location and hope for a good encounter there. But i have counted them as bad.

The code is GOOD/DANGEROUS/BAD. The number just shows how many of the 7 possible encounters there fall into the specific category.

[Translation from the german version, done myself with dict.leo.org and therefore its not that good, but i think you can figure it out]

NORTH CITY 13/3/5
-Rarities 3/0/4
-Newspaper 6/0/1
-Trainstation 4/3/0

INNER CITY 6/8/7
-Sanatorium 1/4/2
-Bank 3/2/2
-Independence Square 2/2/3

EAST CITY 10/5/6
-Hibbs 3/2/2
-Police 3/1/3
-Velmas 4/2/1

BUSINESS CENTER 6/7/8
-Docks 1/4/2
-Unspeakable 3/1/3
-Undiscovered Isle 2/2/3

THE DOCKS 11/4/6
-Cave 1/2/4
-Warehouse 6/0/1
-Cemetery 4/2/1

MISKATONIC 14/4/4
-Administration 5/2/1
-Library 3/1/3
-House of Science 6/1/0

FRENCH 9/6/6
-Silverloge 3/3/1
-Inner Sanctuary 4/0/3
-Witchhouse 2/3/2

RESEDENTIAL 8/6/7
-St. Mary 2/4/1
-Woods 2/2/3
-Spellshop 4/0/3

SOUTH CITY 8/4/9
-History 2/2/3
-Ma's 3/1/3
-South Church 3/1/3

The places which are really extraordinary easy/good are:
-House of Science 6/1/0
-Newspaper 6/0/1
-Warehouse 6/0/1
-Trainstation 4/3/0
-Velmas 4/2/1
-Cemetery 4/2/1
-Administration 4/2/1

Of course there are still the companions and some special events which are extra-strong but you only have a chance of 1/7 to get a specific encounter which is really low compared to the number of rounds you might stay in one location. Especially when you just lost items/money/etc. it is definetly better to search for the extraordinary good locations.

I hope this will be a help for a lot of new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.

IMO, You want the Clue tokens, followed by Elder Signs and money. That means hitting the unstable locations early in the game, before the gates appear. Then it's off to the Curiositte Shoppe to dig up Elder Signs. Go to the Newspaper and try to get a Retainer.

But I'd like to hear other comments about your post. What happens when the expansions come into play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this NoxMortem, I'm sure that some noobs with enjoy the accelerated learning curve that your provide. Thanks too for the Spoiler warning - some folks do prefer to learn this stuff by playing the game. I do, however want to respond to this
NoxMortem wrote:
This statistic is simple based on three categories and shall help groups for one question: "Where shall i go?"

Always when you do not really know where to go you could be able to try to get into one of the "safe" locations.
You need to say what circumstances lead you to be in a situation where you don't know where you should go. Here's my list of tasks that you should be working on when you play AH

Find Clues, go through Gates and Seal them...
Close low priority Gates to help manage the Gate Limit...
Get people Blessed
Keep the Streets Clean

You'll notice none of these involve just aimlessly hanging around in Stable Locations. Don't do this, it's a waste of time, which along with Clues is your most important resource. My advice is to only visit Stable Locations if you have a specific purpose in doing so (Clues from Admin, Blessing from the Church, Healing from Hospital/Asylum). Visiting Unstable Locations should be handled in a similar manner: only if you need something from the Location (usually a Clue or access to an open Gate). If all else fails and you can't figure out where to go, then go hang out in the most unstable location you can find and hope that a Gate opens on you! Seriously, it's a great fun technique; though it has to be said that nine times out of ten the Sheldon Gang will kick shit out of you and dump you in the Street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
You are totally right what you say! The idea is really: "Where do i go if i cant reach a clue or enter a gate or kill a monster". Because this happened at least once EVERY round for at least one investigator of our 5 players/5 investigators round.

Also as you are not able to trade clues it makes no sense for a investigator to pick up clues who will not enter the other worlds (because some investigators really should NEVER do this, because of their special abilities).

And you may not forget that especially in the first rounds you maybe first need some money to buy anything. Also the elder signs are good but sometimes it is not even that hard to get the five clues and sometimes you just have to wait until the monsters moved a little bit.

I cant say anything on expansions, sorry.

Edit: Thank you crispy! Your post is really helpful, as i really forgot about giving this information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.