United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this has been addressed many times, but I'm curious what everyone's opinions are on how we all got this way?

Specifically, how did almost all of us develop the ability to keep lusting for new games, no matter how many we have. Even more specifically, how many times have you bought a game you KNOW you'll never play? Why do we do that?

I've acquired 7 or 8 wargames in the last month, I just ordered 2 more online last night, and I will probably buy 2 more tonight at my FLGS. I really want that copy of Normandy '44 that has been taunting me, even though the odds of me ever getting around to playing it are almost zero. I'll be honest- it's mainly because the map is so gorgeous...

I'll buy a new game, drool on the map, lovingly clip and organize all the counters, read through the rules, drool on the map again, and then put it on the shelf. And then I'll do it again two more times the following week. Fortunately, my wife is very understanding (she has more purses that she could use in two lifetimes, after all).

Any thoughts???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
This is our hobby... it keeps us out of the bars at night.

Quote:
...my wife is very understanding (she has more purses that she could use in two lifetimes, after all).

My beloved only has two feet. Why does she need three dozen pairs of shoes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bourke
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Because your brain is a chemical computer that releases pleasing chemicals in response to patterns of stimulus, and you have characteristics in your makeup due to your personal history and genetic predispositions such that the sensory stimulus provided by wargames is effective.

Over time you've conditioned yourself to seek this stimulus so you can get that chemical release.

You could have trained yourself such that some other stimulus could have given you the same release (motorcycles, exercise, drug use), but probably are not so pliable that just any stimulus (knitting, soap operas, country music) could give you the release you want.

It's possible that given an opportunity to experience many other types of stimulus that you could find some other activity that would give you the chemical release more efficiently, in which case you would drop wargames in favor of that activity.

But for now you've trapped yourself into a pattern of buying wargames in order to get a pleasant sensation. That sensation doesn't last long, but you have enough discretionary income that you can keep the satisfaction going through further purchases.

Nothing left to do but enjoy yourself. :)

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is quite an addicting hobby. I wonder why, too, many of us in the hobby seem "obsessed".

I compare our hobby to those in other hobbies...say...remote control airplanes, or golfers, or hikers, or comic book collectors.

I think part of the fact is that board gamers can add to their collections for relatively less (if we have any self control whatsoever) than say, a golfer, or scuba diver, whose trips/memberships/equipment is very expensive.

But I don't know why we all find the new bits so satiating.

I have more games in my collection that I haven't played than I have. I know we're not all like that, but I really like having a beautiful game on my shelf the same way someone might have a book or piece of art.

To read the rules, see how its been constructed, I dunno..can't explain it. It just feels so good. And its good for the mind, and could be worse on the wallet. And like the above poster said, I think a significant other would rather us collect and play wargames/games than spend our money getting drinks in the tavern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Collecting is a game in and of itself !!!!!

And isn't the only rule he who dies with the most wins ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Because we have to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I "Like" introducing something of which I felt the original 'Designers' may have overlooked, or neglected to include, to make everything more easier on everyone with such. That could have been with additional 'markers', or an entire REVAMP of their components with this. Then, with other times, I'll provide something ANEW in which to give some "ye olde skool sort" an infusion with that, in order to garner it some more attentions as thus. It is a constantly evolving process, and not many have, or possess, the wherewithal to manufacture their own creations in this manner, while I strive to do this as cheaply as possible.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
I "Like" introducing something of which I felt the original 'Designers' may have overlooked, or neglected to include, to make everything more easier on everyone with such. That could have been with additional 'markers', or an entire REVAMP of their components with this. Then, with other times, I'll provide something ANEW in which to give some "ye olde skool sort" an infusion with that, in order to garner it some more attentions as thus. It is a constantly evolving process, and not many have, or possess, the wherewithal to manufacture their own creations in this manner, while I strive to do this as cheaply as possible.
cool

I can understand every word Robert! Knock it off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I am not sure why we do it but l know coming on here doesn't help. My collection has doubled over the last year since joining BGG and that's not a coincidence.

That's a +1 on the N44 btw. Nearly picked up an unpunched copy at a bring and buy but the guy in front of me got to it first. Saw it on the marketplace and dithered, then it was gone. That's another reason l have quite a few games. At that price, l gotta buy it. It's going out of print, gotta buy it. Marco likes it, gotta buy it. Shit day at work, gotta buy it. Sold a game, gotta buy it.

It's a sickness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
because we enjoy rolling dice, clipping counters, and swearing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
I dunno, I think I'm getting saturated. I was in my FLGS today and they had Talavera on sale for $20. I walked around the store with it for a while but stopped and said to myself 'Do I really need this, or am I buying it just because it's on sale? Am I actually ever going to play it or is it just going to take up space in my cabinet' I set it down and walked out of the store empty-handed. I've got way too many unplayed games as it is.
My wife should do that, a lot!
She's not manly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
big_ragu wrote:
Why do we do what we do???

If we don't do it, who will?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fricke
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy games I know I won't get to play in order to do my part in helping to stimulate the economy. These are trying times, and I like to do my part to help retailers keep their doors open and pay their employees. Yup, that's it.
Wow, I almost said that with a straight face... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
big_ragu wrote:
... how many times have you bought a game you KNOW you'll never play?

Never. I've more or less halted my buying, after having caught
up with what I missed over the last couple decades. It may
take me a few years to catch up, but every damned one of 'em
will get play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we are supporting the industry. Some of these games are an artform with regard to game design and aesthetics, too. And I like to think of it as lining up a hobby for retirement. Sure, we may not play all the games we buy now, but we'll play some, and then we'll have time to play others later on. Some might even become collectors items down the line. So it's a collector's mentality+lifelong hobby+potential investment opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
big_ragu wrote:

I'll buy a new game, drool on the map, lovingly clip and organize all the counters, read through the rules, drool on the map again, and then put it on the shelf. And then I'll do it again two more times the following week. Fortunately, my wife is very understanding (she has more purses that she could use in two lifetimes, after all).

I have the same problem, and I doubt either of us are alone. I love opening a new game, punching out the components, sleeving the cards, clipping the counters, and organizing everything into little baggies and storage boxes. I think I love all that more than I love playing most games. I also have a tendency to go a tear and get a bunch of games all on the same subject/period/theme. Right now it's air combat, 6 months ago it was space combat (though at least the air combat games are getting played). I think it's a collector's mentality more than anything else. I grew up collecting comic books and baseball cards, and later Magic cards.

My wife is also very understanding, and herself contributes to my madness on gift-giving holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't need or want any new games (and I don't need or want any new miniatures). Got my first wargame about this time 40 years ago, and played a lot when I was in the Navy after high school and some when I was in college. Spent about a decade playing pbem (long term civilization building games) or computer games. Then spent the last decade playing miniatures. That was virtually all tactics all the time, except for one operational campaign. Got back into cardboard wargaming a couple of years ago due to finding groups of players to play with.

What I crave is being able to play long running strategic multi-player games that involve economic production. Like games like Empires in Arms, or maybe WiF if I wasn't so put off by the rules. Would really like to play a long running North Sea and Baltic Sea WW1 naval campaign. Am totally hooked on multi-player interaction and strategic thinking. Fortunately, there's a few wargames that allow for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Collecting things of beauty is one of those things that humans do as part of their evolution. It satisfies the primal instinct of a "need", thus inciting you to hoard, but that "need" is evaluated by higher functions meaning it may be actually a "want". You brain tricks your body into feeling good about fulfilling something that is not completely necessary.

I have quite a few games that I might not play but a handful of times, maybe none at all, but the act of acquiring the game, organizing the components, sleeving the cards etc... is a very satisfying behavior to the point I do not feel that I need to actually play the game to draw enjoyment from it. The aesthetic aspect combined with the physical activity of taking care of the game is many times all that is needed to get that feeling of accomplishment we crave. Add to all the possibility of your games allowing you to fullfil the actual "need" for socialization and you have a good explanation why acquiring board games is an endeavor where the collection aspect is so satisfying.

In my particular case it is compounded because my wife actually likes that part of the hobby almost as much as actually playing the games. Researching about games, participating in auctions, looking for bargains, combining games for shipping, getting games for a particular occasion is something she really likes. So on top of all the things that satisfy me directly by getting games, doing so makes her happy which in turn makes me happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify- I didn't mean that I didn't INTEND to ever play the game in question, I just meant that I know in advance that the odds are infinitesimal.

To update- I did pick up Normandy '44 tonight. That map is breathtakingly beautiful! Great components, great rulebook- I love GMT! I do hope to play it, I just know I'll have a tough time finding an enthusiastic opponent.

Also picked up Boots on the Ground, clipped all the counters, and ran through a solo play at the store. I bought it hoping that it was something my stepson would enjoy playing with me, but I don't think he'll have the attention span.

Thank you for the interesting responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beats fishing or going to the pub...

Also Jeff why do you think it will be tough finding an N44 opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

It's tough for me to find a face-to-face opponent for ANY traditional wargame. I'm active with a good local gaming group, but they're primarily miniatures gamers with the occasional 4-6 player boardgame thrown in.

If I do get in a wargame, it's usually with someone who is doing it as a favor. I have to provide, learn, and teach for someone who isn't very excited about it. I'm not a great teacher, and I prefer to play with someone who as at least read the rules.

None of these things have stopped (or even slowed) me from buying a wargame, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
big_ragu wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

It's tough for me to find a face-to-face opponent for ANY traditional wargame. I'm active with a good local gaming group, but they're primarily miniatures gamers with the occasional 4-6 player boardgame thrown in.

If I do get in a wargame, it's usually with someone who is doing it as a favor. I have to provide, learn, and teach for someone who isn't very excited about it. I'm not a great teacher, and I prefer to play with someone who as at least read the rules.

None of these things have stopped (or even slowed) me from buying a wargame, though

I live in a relatively isolated rural area...a very nice place but the Gobi Desert when it comes to hex and counter wargaming...when we first moved here 15 years ago I basically put my games into storage and didn't play at all...after about 7 or 8 years of this I came into contact with a bunch of Clearasil-powered Warhammer mini-playing teenagers who although very enthusiastic weren't exactly my cup of tea but luckily this in turn led to a fortuitous meeting which brought me in touch with the only other gamer I know of around here...he turned me onto the wonderful BGG community (a greater bunch of pedantic know-it-alls and smart alecs you'll never meet...just my kind of people) which I didn't even know existed...this in turn led me to the great Vassal resource which when combined with Skype opened up the world (literally) to gaming for me...now I have an excellent FtF opponent and a couple of fantastic virtual opponents as well as many gaming friends...

So in short don't give up looking locally but take my advice and get involved in Vassal or the other similar play-on-line resources which are around...there is a Vassal module for 'Normandy 44'..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
big_ragu wrote:

Any thoughts???

it is the Way of the Warrior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="big_ragu"]

To update- I did pick up Normandy '44 tonight. That map is breathtakingly beautiful! Great components, great rulebook- I love GMT! I do hope to play it, I just know I'll have a tough time finding an enthusiastic opponent.

[q]

Use Vassal - I started a game of N44 this week with a buddy.

My vows for 2012: Use Vassal more and stay close - life was much to hectic and catastrophic last year - so Vassal (hopefully) will be a possibility to play more than ftf last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
big_ragu wrote:

I have the same problem, and I doubt either of us are alone. I love opening a new game, punching out the components, sleeving the cards, clipping the counters, and organizing everything into little baggies and storage boxes. I think I love all that more than I love playing most games.

Don't forget smelling the ruleswhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.