Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found intrest in memoir and the forums here are a little overwhelming, I'm just hungry for info.

Edit:
I have played about 4 games or so and do like the game, I just don't own it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Re: What would you tell someone who is just getting into this game.

Hide your wallet.

In all seriousness, there are only two aspects to the series I would consider most important for them to know:

1. Playing the game might be frustrating for some. In any given game, you're going to have all these units on the board, but you can only move units if you have a card in hand that corresponds to the portion of the board they're on. Thus, you could end up with tanks in the left flank, but only have cards for the right and center. As such, you can't issue orders to them. That means no movement and no firing. Any disadvantage this may cause is thematic and also potentially suffered by your opponent, so I see no problem with this, but the randomness of the card drawing could turn some off.

2. The base game and some expansions provide the "Vanilla" M44 experience. That isn't to say the base game isn't good, but it's important to be able to discern from the bigger and more involved "Overlord" games. The Overlord games are created by combining a copy of the base game with a copy of Operation Overlord. Once you have a copy of the base game and Overlord, you can get into the bigger, two map games and scenarios. I find the Overlord stuff immensely fun, but I still recommend buying and playing the base game first to determine whether or not you even like the mechanics and theme. If you do, but find yourself wishing there was a bit more to the game, it might be time to step it up a notch with Overlord rules.

Regardless, I find the game to be quite addictive. So much so that within 2 months of first acquiring the base game, I completed the entire collection by buying everything else for the game but the Campaign Bag, which held little allure for me as I had already devised a storage solution in a vintage Army case from a surplus store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I agree with Brian. Get the base game and try it out. Take your time. Find a gaming buddy to bond over the game with. Lots of good gaming to be had. Don't worry about all the other stuff. You'll get to it in the fullness of time, assuming you like the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
In any given game, you're going to have all these units on the board, but you can only move units if you have a card in hand that corresponds to the portion of the board they're on. Thus, you could end up with tanks in the left flank, but only have cards for the right and center. As such, you can't issue orders to them. That means no movement and no firing. Any disadvantage this may cause is thematic and also potentially suffered by your opponent, so I see no problem with this, but the randomness of the card drawing could turn some off.

Over the years, this observation/complaint has been overstated by losing players. This is a feature, not a bug. Card and force management are keys to victory. Frankly, if I've been able to inflict sufficient losses on my opponent to drive them from one section of the map, I savor the moment. Alas, some players complain M44 should play like other games. If you want rules from other games, play those games instead. I find myself puzzled whenever this comes up. I'm too busy having fun playing the game to notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HitchKennedy wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
In any given game, you're going to have all these units on the board, but you can only move units if you have a card in hand that corresponds to the portion of the board they're on. Thus, you could end up with tanks in the left flank, but only have cards for the right and center. As such, you can't issue orders to them. That means no movement and no firing. Any disadvantage this may cause is thematic and also potentially suffered by your opponent, so I see no problem with this, but the randomness of the card drawing could turn some off.

Over the years, this observation/complaint has been overstated by losing players. This is a feature, not a bug. Card and force management are keys to victory. Frankly, if I've been able to inflict sufficient losses on my opponent to drive them from one section of the map, I savor the moment. Alas, some players complain M44 should play like other games. If you want rules from other games, play those games instead. I find myself puzzled whenever this comes up. I'm too busy having fun playing the game to notice.

Not disagreeing, just pointing out that it is a common complaint.

I'm also not saying anyone that doesn't like the game due to this mechanic is wrong. M44 isn't for everyone. You have to be able to adapt on the fly based on what your opponent(s) is(are) doing and based on card draw. Failure to recognize this fact seriously impairs one's ability to win, but not everyone can think this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Quote:

Hide your wallet.

In all seriousness, there are only two aspects to the series I would consider most important for them to know:

1. Playing the game might be frustrating for some. In any given game, you're going to have all these units on the board, but you can only move units if you have a card in hand that corresponds to the portion of the board they're on. Thus, you could end up with tanks in the left flank, but only have cards for the right and center. As such, you can't issue orders to them. That means no movement and no firing. Any disadvantage this may cause is thematic and also potentially suffered by your opponent, so I see no problem with this, but the randomness of the card drawing could turn some off.

2. The base game and some expansions provide the "Vanilla" M44 experience. That isn't to say the base game isn't good, but it's important to be able to discern from the bigger and more involved "Overlord" games. The Overlord games are created by combining a copy of the base game with a copy of Operation Overlord. Once you have a copy of the base game and Overlord, you can get into the bigger, two map games and scenarios. I find the Overlord stuff immensely fun, but I still recommend buying and playing the base game first to determine whether or not you even like the mechanics and theme. If you do, but find yourself wishing there was a bit more to the game, it might be time to step it up a notch with Overlord rules.

Regardless, I find the game to be quite addictive. So much so that within 2 months of first acquiring the base game, I completed the entire collection by buying everything else for the game but the Campaign Bag, which held little allure for me as I had already devised a storage solution in a vintage Army case from a surplus store.

Yes I have played a few times and do like the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it and have fun playing it. Once you are comfortable playing the game, consider getting the expansions for it as well as the Campaign Books. You can't go wrong with this war game and in my opinion it's a great investment that you will enjoy for years to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
I just found intrest in memoir and the forums here are a little overwhelming, I'm just hungry for info.

Edit:
I have played about 4 games or so and do like the game, I just don't own it

Take a look at Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days, Black Cross / Blue Sky or Combat Commander: Europe before you buy anything!
Does cost a bit more, but I think you will get much more joy out of one of these games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the base game for sure. But I've had it for almost a year now and with the 16 included expansions have never felt the need to expand the game. I might pick up the pacific theater soon. But it's noteworthy that I've played this game probably over 25 times and I would still happily play it another 15-20 before expanding it.

That being said, I think you can really only play each scenario a few times before you want to expand the game. It's not limitless. But I agree with the above poster that you should buy it, savor it for about 6 months and then decide if you really need to expand the Memoir 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
I'm also not saying anyone that doesn't like the game due to this mechanic is wrong. M44 isn't for everyone. You have to be able to adapt on the fly based on what your opponent(s) is(are) doing and based on card draw. Failure to recognize this fact seriously impairs one's ability to win, but not everyone can think this way.

This is a good point and I use this exact point as an example of why I'm not big on worker placement games. There are a few reasons, but one of the big ones is that I find it frustrating when I want to use a particular action and someone else gets there first. As an argument against this, I've had it pointed out to me that dealing with this is part of the strategy of the game.

My response to that is that I understand that figuring out ways around that or how to deal with it is part of the game, but it's not a part of the game I enjoy.

The same is true of Memoir. I happen to enjoy working around the particular limitations that the C&C system puts forth, but I understand that for the people who don't, that the problem isn't with the game (or with them), it's just not their thing. This works as long as they don't go on too much about the game being broken in some way because of it (just like I don't go into the Stone Age forums and go on about how broken that game is, because someone always gets the hut, or whatever, before I do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before making purchases beyond the box set, I recommend you look through and download (d/l) the scenarios available from the DoW website. On their site are hundreds (280 at time of posting) of free scenarios to print and play, along with mini campaigns in .PDF format (they are now OoP, so DoW has posted them for customers).

At the DOW site, find your way to the Memoir '44 section;
- Scenarios are under "Military Archives"
- In the "Campaigns" section there are three mini-campaigns to d/l

Enjoy! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RollD6 wrote:
At the DOW site, find your way to the Memoir '44 section;
- Scenarios are under "Military Archives"
- In the "Campaigns" section there are three mini-campaigns to d/l

You will also need to have this link:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/cards_compen...

After Air Pack was released with reference cards most scenario creators made reference to the cards rather than repeating the special rules in the scenario notes. For Example:
Quote:
Blitz Rules are in effect (Actions 15-Blitz Rules).
Place a badge on the elite French armor unit (Troops 2 - Specialized units).
For the Axis forces, Pontoon Bridges rules are in effect (Terrain 33 - Pontoon Bridges).

using the above link that translates too:

http://static.memoir44.com/lang/english/images/mm_compendium...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:

I wasn't implying you were making this complaint. Just tossing in my two cents on the observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HitchKennedy wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

I wasn't implying you were making this complaint. Just tossing in my two cents on the observation.

Fair enough, for I never inferred such. I just felt like stating the obvious I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Quote:

Hide your wallet.

Kudos to this assessment! I would concur with every word stated including advice for Overlord (which "flavor" of M44 I personally love the most) and the "Hide the wallet" comment which is just a caution that without some research and deliberation one could spend entirely too much on M44. I'm a "poster child" for this infraction and currently getting therapy for this problem! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Games that want to get out."
mbmbmbmbmb
http://store.steampowered.com/app/108210/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.