Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Legend of Drizzt twice, but I've already come upon this question more than once: how do you determine the closest hero to a monster?

Do you count by the number of tiles, or the number of squares? I ask because sometimes two characters will be separated by 2 tiles, and yet they'll be relatively close in terms of squares.

For example, picture two tiles that are touching one another on the diagonal. Like this:

xA
Bx

(Those are four different tiles, not squares.)

Tile A and Tile B are actually two tiles away from one another, because you can't count tiles diagonally. However, if a monster were toward the upper right of tile B, and a hero toward the lower left of tile A, they might only be 1-2 squares away from each other. So, if you're just counting squares, those two might be closer than, say, a hero in one of the X tiles is to the monster in B. But if you're counting by tiles, then a hero in either of the X tiles would be closer to the monster in B.

So . . . do I count by squares, or by tiles? And for that matter, do I take into account walls when I'm counting? (Like, do I have to count around them if they're blocking the path?)

Thanks in advance for the help . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squares determine closest hero

If more than one hero is tied for closest, it is the active player's choice who gets targeted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt the active Hero decides. There is no rule that defines "closest", so it's entirely up to you to decide what that means. Our group, when we play we go for the simplest/fastest route to play, which is by tiles.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Holm
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
And if you find that 2 heroes are equally close and the card doesn't state 'the closest with fewest HP' then its a group decision which hero it chooses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holm76 wrote:
And if you find that 2 heroes are equally close and the card doesn't state 'the closest with fewest HP' then its a group decision which hero it chooses.

Actually, according to the rules, it's not a group decision, it's the active Hero's decision:

Quote:
Villain Phase
This is the phase in which you draw and play Encounter cards,
as well as when you activate the Villain (if the Villain is in play)
and any Monster and Trap cards
you have in front of you.

Page 8 of rulebook, emphasis added.

So, according to the rules, "you" (meaning the active Hero) is the one who activates the Villains/Monsters/Traps. Let's look now at how the activation works:

Quote:
Tactics: Each Monster card provides a Monster’s tactics.
The tactics are a script that shows you what the Monster
does when you activate it during your Villain Phase.

pg 11 of rulebook, emphasis added

So "you" again is the active Hero. The tactics tell *you* what to do, not "you the group", just you. So, according to the rules, the active Hero is responsible for satisfying the tactics. Now, let's look at a situation where a Monster's tactics is tied between two heroes:

In the above pic, the Goblin Cutter is the same distance between Drizzt and Catti-brie. When he is to be moved, which one does he go to? Well, let's look at the Goblin Cutter's card to know for certain:

According to his tactics, he is to move adjacent to the "closest Hero". That's it, no other guidance. According to the rules, the active Hero is to apply the Monster's tactics. All he needs to do is move it next to either Drizzt or Catti-brie. Whichever one he chooses, that will be the closest Hero so he has satisfied the rules and the tactics.

In other words, it's up to the active Hero to decide.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the question ever been answered by the designer? Since monsters move by tiles, I count tiles first, then squares. But this is just how I chose to handle it, not an official answer, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Has the question ever been answered by the designer? Since monsters move by tiles, I count tiles first, then squares. But this is just how I chose to handle it, not an official answer, of course.

I vaguely recall in the CR forums that that is how Peter Lee plays it. Don't have an actual link though...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game I just finished today, where two heroes were reachable from the villainess by the same number of squares, I used the Euclidean distance and had her attack the player who was at less of a diagonal.

Of course, I'm a math geek.

In the example shown above, where the heroes are exactly the same distance away, I would probably choose the one in front of the monster rather than one behind as that would save the monster the trouble of turning around. But that's just me; unless there is an intervening house rule, it really is up to the active player's choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferox Arcanum
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it by squares. In the case of a tie, the active player chooses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I vaguely recall in the CR forums that that is how Peter Lee plays it. Don't have an actual link though...

-shnar

I remember this as well, Peter said count by tiles first, then by squares. Though he didnt really specify if that was the intention for closest hero, or if that was just his own house rule interpretation.

Counting tiles first makes it a little faster to determine closest hero. Though you sometimes end up with weird situations when a monster is adjacent to a hero on a different tile. Tactics may force that monster to break engagement from that hero to attack a hero on its same tile that might be a few squares away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dm99 wrote:
Counting tiles first makes it a little faster to determine closest hero.

I'm starting to use that "faster to determine" way. Now, when we look who is closer, we don't even count tiles or squares, we just glance at the table and say, "He looks closer."

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.