Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never... gonna... happen...

That is, unless the players are going to move without thinking - just pushing plastic. The game actually slows down with more players. I think with nine players and six hours, you will be lucky to complete four turns, and again, that's only if people are just mindlessly pushing pieces. I know with our group, it has usually taken us a minimum of 12 hours to get 8 turns done, and that's with no more than 6 people playing. All that said, I wish you guys good luck - I'll be anxious to hear how far you guys actually get and how the game goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 9 players at 5 min per turn it takes 45 min for one round yielding 6 rounds in 4.5 hours. No bathroom breaks, no smoke breaks, no beverage or snack breaks and exact timing. Add in 30 minutes for setup and you are at 5 hours...if everyone is limited to just 5 minutes per turn.

I don't think it can be done.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With two players you would have a better chance of getting somewhere in six hours but with nine forget it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting topic in time management ....

Can you have the board set up before hand?
Would 9 players setting up faster than 3 or 4? I imagine a lot of knuckle bashing and dropped pieces rolling across the board, knocked over chips.

With 9, I expect probability of AP to be high - higher considering the induced anxiety.

I think you're on chart for a crummy game of overlooked moves, unintentional vulnerable territories, and forgotten combat left on the board.

Does the time limit include picking and cleaning up?

Remember, never leave a soldier behind. Even if he's made of plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Royek
United States
Cochranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
You could just get rid of individual turns and have everybody take their turns at the same time. They'll still have separate incomes and purchase units, combat movement, etc. Except instead of doing it individually, all players and powers do it at the same time.

But they still play as individual incomes and Japan controls Japan's income and turns and what not. Everybody moves at once.

Everybody purchases units with their own individual incomes and may not share them with other players. Players must place their units in territories with an industrial complex that they own and not another member of their alliance.

When a territory is being attacked, the defender may not move their troops from there. For example, if Italy invades Alexandria from Tobruk, the British player may not move their pieces from that territory until combat is conducted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is a very interesting thread.

If you look at the top war games on BGG, you'll find that the highest ranked are played with 2. There are even some highly ranked solo games.

I think with more players the way most war games (including Axis & Allies) will at best move much more slowly. The intricacy and detail worked into a war game often doesn't allow for speedy large group play.

Although there could be a game out there that fits this bill. Anyone know of one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.