Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Eminent Domain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leading Warfare or Colonize rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Noli me tangere, Caesaris sum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[I just posted this issue in another thread but failed to phrase it as a question, so it may have appeared to be a statement rather than a question that I would like answered. Here it is again:]

Is this a correct interpretation of the rules:

On your turn, when you lead the Warfare or Colonize Role, you can choose to use the Leader bonus or not when resolving the role effect.

Thus, for example, if I lead Warfare and boost with a second Warfare symbol, can I choose to collect two fighters rather than attack/flip a planet?

The rules were not clear on this point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose either of the two options. If you choose to get fighters or colonize you may not attack or settle. Likewise, if you attack or settle you may not get fighters or colonize.

For these two roles there is no point in boosting the leader role as you don't gain anything new with more symbols.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For these two roles there is no point in boosting the leader role as you don't gain anything new with more symbols.


And going a step further, generally if you have a Warfare/Colonize card in your hand you were usually better off flipping as an action and choosing something else as your role.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chibigouazou wrote:
[I just posted this issue in another thread but failed to phrase it as a question, so it may have appeared to be a statement rather than a question that I would like answered. Here it is again:]

Is this a correct interpretation of the rules:

On your turn, when you lead the Warfare or Colonize Role, you can choose to use the Leader bonus or not when resolving the role effect.

Thus, for example, if I lead Warfare and boost with a second Warfare symbol, can I choose to collect two fighters rather than attack/flip a planet?

The rules were not clear on this point.


I think you're wondering if you have to decide when you choose the role or if you can wait until you resolve it. (edit: Oh, actually, I think Seth figured it out. Anyway, if that had been your question, then...) The answer is that it really, really doesn't matter. About 2 seconds elapses from when you choose the role until you resolve it. In between, there is no action and no new information. So you can decide "I am going to flip a planet with this role", and either boost it or (more likely don't), just as easily as you can decide "I am going to get fighters with this role" and boost it or don't. If you want, you can put the cards on the table and then decide, though if your choice is going to be to flip a planet, then the boosting card is wasted (which might not be a big deal, but if you just wanted to get it out of your hand, you could just as easily discard it during your cleanup phase).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
Quote:
For these two roles there is no point in boosting the leader role as you don't gain anything new with more symbols.


And going a step further, generally if you have a Warfare/Colonize card in your hand you were usually better off flipping as an action and choosing something else as your role.

While perhaps correct, this might just be confusing the answer.

I believe the OP's question is whether or not the Leader bonus is optional, or if you MUST choose it when you lead Warfare or Colonize.

The answer to that is yes, the Leader Bonus is an option, the leader may choose to collect Fighters or add colonies to planets when leading the Warfare and Colonize roles.

In case further clarification is needed, this is just like the Settler role in Puerto Rico, where the leader of the role has the option of taking a Quarry instead of a Plantation, but they may choose a plantation instead if they wish.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Noli me tangere, Caesaris sum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

I believe the OP's question is whether or not the Leader bonus is optional, or if you MUST choose it when you lead Warfare or Colonize.

The answer to that is yes, the Leader Bonus is an option, the leader may choose to collect Fighters or add colonies to planets when leading the Warfare and Colonize roles.



Yes! That was the question (nicely rephrased). Thanks for the response and to everyone who chimed in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.