Dungeon Run» Forums » Variants

Subject: Library rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has come to the conclusion that we do not like the library tile. It may just be a case of group think but nobody ever wanted to spend that special action to read through the books.

One action for a 1/3 chance to look at the boss card simply does not look like a good idea. The wound on a result of 1 is just icing on the cake.
We do not even consider knowing the boss to be that big an advantage.

So for our group the library is simply an empty crossing.
That is not too bad but not very interesting either.

So we thought about various ways to change the tile in order to make it more fun for us. We have yet to make a decision which one(s) to use but here are the options:

1) Remove the action cost. "Once per turn, as a free action, a hero on this tile can roll a die [...]"
2) Increase the odds for success.
3) Remove the possibility of taking a wound. (meh, don't like this one)
4) When the library is revealed, place a random treasure inside.
5) When performing the library's special action, there is a chance to find a treasure.
6) In addition to looking at the boss card, the first player to successfully make the roll is allowed to replace it with a boss card of his choice.

7) My favorite, although (or because?^^) it requires some effort:
Replace the old effect of a successful roll with the following:
"On a roll of 5+, take the Hidden Records artifact card."

Quote:
Hidden Records
ANY training; Primary Hand or Off-Hand slot

You may look at the dungeon boss card at any time.
Add 1 to your brawn or magic rating when making an attack against the dungeon boss.

What are your opinions on the tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Wen
United States
Lake Forest
Click to Select (if applicable)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I think it's lame too. So it's essentially a blank tile for us. Blank, but safe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a library tile!?
This game just went from maybe to must-have (I have a peculiar interest in games with libraries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely the least interesting tile, but it's very useful if you find it early and one of your attack stats is low. Since you have a 25% chance of fighting a boss that is immune to your weak stat, knowing that early on will dictate how you level up. Admittedly, this is heavily reliant on how early the tile shows up. If you've already leveled up a couple times, it most likely won't affect anything you do.

I very much don't like the idea of being able to switch the boss card. That seems too useful. Maybe if you made it only on a result of 6 and/or increased the odds of the wounds... but that would make it unattractive again, maybe.

Your artifact card sounds cool though. If we ever get blank cards in an expansion, I could definitely see making one. It's not really necessary since it's an artifact and not shuffled... but I don't like making stuff myself or just pretending something's there and remembering. So until such an occasion, I would lean toward making it a free once-per-turn action and placing a treasure there when it's revealed. After all, books are treasures. This is all hypothetical though, as I don't intend to house rule anything in the near future, personally.

But while we're dreaming up stuff for the library, it would be cool if there were a number of spell books and you could find one at random. Something along those lines would be a cool way to add more cards without messing with deck consistency, if someone were really gungho to do some homebrewing with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We played this with friends tonight and my buddy decided that Boss - 5+ should mean on a roll of 5 or higher you summon a boss in to the game. He also added two random treasure cards under the boss as the reward for killing him. I dont think I would play this way every game, but it was definitely an interesting and amusing variant.

It was kind of funny because he did this within the first few turns of the game and spent the rest of the game trying to kill the damn boss. Eventually he ran away and at that point we had just unveiled the Summoner Boss....whom my wife then ran away from. The dungeon had largely been built in a straight line outside of the side branch I created. So this ended up meaning my wife and friend were pinched between the two bosses. Highly amusing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New and Improved
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a roll of 6 ( or 5-6 ) could mean that you discovered a spell book - place a +1 magic bit onto your character card. Kind of like a free advancement.
Going forward on that idea...

roll die

1 or 2 - reading one of the books you accidentally summon a monster - place the first monster card you find face up in the library - it gets a free attack.

3 or 4 - you don't find anything of interest.

5 or 6 - you find a spell book and gain a +1 magic bit to place on your character card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Mulligans wrote:
Maybe a roll of 6 ( or 5-6 ) could mean that you discovered a spell book - place a +1 magic bit onto your character card. Kind of like a free advancement.

roll die

1 or 2 - reading one of the books you accidentally summon a monster - place the first monster card you find face up in the library - it gets a free attack.

5 or 6 - you find a spell book and gain a +1 magic bit to place on your character card.

Only problem with giving a magic bit is that for non magic characters its not that useful. Maybe a better idea would be to let you take 1 character ability card. It would be like finding a scroll/book that teaches you a class skill. This is useful for both magic and brawn based characters equally then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New and Improved
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
MSIMagus wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

roll die

Only problem with giving a magic bit is that for non magic characters its not that useful. Maybe a better idea would be to let you take 1 character ability card. It would be like finding a scroll/book that teaches you a class skill. This is useful for both magic and brawn based characters equally then.

I like that. Although I am nowhere close to feeling the need to house rule this game. Another dozen games or so... who knows ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSIMagus wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

roll die

Hey, I like this idea a lot! Giving the game little bit of a Morrowindish feeling having skill books available... great! I'll be trying this out in our next game. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Last Socratic

Rochester
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like several ideas in this thread and have kind of combined them into my own variant that I'll try the next time I play:

As a special action one may search the library. On a 1 receive one wound marker from a ferocious book. On a 2 draw an encounter card. On 3-4 nothing happens. On a 5 either add a +1 marker to magic or skill OR add the top ability card to your learned abilities. On a 6 look at the Boss Card. The effects of rolls 1, 2, 5, and 6 may only be enjoyed once per game per player.

What do you all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.