Subject: Name the game (difficulty level: Insane!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the game that the gangsters are playing at the beginning of Led Zeppelins 1976 'The Song Remains The Same'?

Ive even txt different txt message services that can answer any question and even they dont know!

Any help would be great as the game looks great!

The gangsters are playing some type of war game and it has betting/gambling involved i think as they were giving/receiving cash.

Thanks people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Escape (pimped out to the 70's extreme)?

"Elsewhere, some gangsters are playing a strange board game (it looks like it’s based on The Great Escape) for cash."

http://www.midnightonly.com/2011/08/09/the-song-remains-the-...

or maybe it's just Escape from Colditz or Escape from Colditz Castle .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...

If you look closely at the upper right area of the image you can just make out part of a word... something nocide... as in Genocide. The small stack of cards in the right foreground appear to have a swastika on them. I would say that is in fact not a REAL game but a prop made specifically for the video in question. I would venture to say it is trying to make some kind of statement about the Holocaust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i assumed that the game was real, why design that whole thing if they only show it for a few seconds? It looks like a proper game. I also made out the nocide word but the only game called genocide on bgg is trekkers: genocide, and it isnt that. Is this game real!? Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is real. I have seen games completely made up for shows before but for the life of me can't think of any of the specifics. (Wasn't there an episode of Friends that had a made up game in it?) The Song Remains The Same was completely financed by Led Zeppelin and, rock stars being the way they are, probably said something to the effect of "I want a game about genocide in my video and I want it to look real so get on it and make me a real looking game and I don't care how much it costs!" But it does look like it has some neat pieces but the theme is somewhat disturbing.

Edit: And after I typed this reply I decided to try and find some examples of fictional games and found this list on Wkipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.