Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Age of DoA has a Trickster, a clever, cunning individual who lives off his wits. For the Ancient era it's John McGiddey; for the Colonial era it's Sterling Jack; for the Modern era it's Matt Fade; and for the Future era it's Duke Devon Regal.

The Opportunist's stats are not bad. He has Blue Melee, Blue Throw, Blue React and Blue Strength, but he also has Green Aim, Green Point, Yellow Stealth and Yellow Wits. The last two are especially important, since Yellow Stealth makes the Duke a very hard target to hit, while Yellow Wits allows him to use all of the most complicated and most fun equipment cards.

On the other hand, his Blue React is serious incentive to keep Devon out of Melee Combat, a point driven further home by his typical Red Armor and four Health; the Opportunist definitely operates better from a distance.

The first of Devon's powers is arguably the most important: He never loses Energy Pistols or Rifles after killing an enemy with them. Think about that for a minute. Think about being able to keep the same weapon and continue to blaze away at the enemy. With his Green Aim, Green Point and Yellow Stealth Devons is a fine sniper and should you turn up an Energy Pistol or Rifle he can use, you need to get it to him ASAP.

Devon's other abilities are all one-use wonders, so part of getting the most out of the character is making sure you employ these powers at the right time.

After moving, Devon may fire a weapon as if it were his fire phase. This is valuable indeed, since he only gets exposed to one round of opfire before being able to shoot back. Ideally you'll want to use this ability either when moving to the edge of a Mesa into cover or when a high-value target such as Seveneyes or Lyrra Swan is escaping. In general I wouldn't waste it on a wounding shot; I'd only use it if there was a good chance for a kill.

Devon's next one-time power is to appear at the Main Gate space, inside the enemy's base, as a Free Action. Now this can be used to extricate Devon from a tight spot, but its primary use is to enable him to raid the enemy Vault. The main question, of course, is WHEN to use this ability. Use it at the beginning and you can almost surely get the two cards your opponent starts off with, but are those two cards worth it? Using it later, when the Vault has been filled by a few Amazes might be more profitable, but then you risk having the enemy get something good out of storage before you can steal it. I generally go for the goods right away, especially since in our games Devon has a mystifying tendency to come up when Blackbeard is on the other team.

If you've decided to wait, however, I advise you to change your plans if you see an enemy character heading for their team base. Just make sure you use Devon's power before the courier character has gotten into position to block the Opportunist from the Vault.

The last power is an emergency escape, allowing the slippery Duke to dismiss himself as a Free Action. If Devon gets pinned or seems in considerable danger, use this power without hesitation. Don't save it for later, or there might not BE a later!

In addition to Energy Pistols and Rifles, make sure you give Devon most of the equpment requiring high Wits; he can make excellent use of it. He wouldn't be my first or second choice for a mount, but he is a favorite for setting up ranged sentinels, since his Yellow Stealth and presence on a Mesa will make him tough to tag in the opfire phase. Oh, and when he has a Future weapon, don't forget his to hit bonus on Future platters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You ought to consider compiling these into a nice PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Indeed. This is good stuff as always

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

That is a great idea! It could be like the "Book of [x character]" on the heroscapers site.

The OP's write-ups have a nice mix of strategy, lore, and anecdotes. I think I am going to print these out and package them in with my game for reference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! Maybe I will see about compiling these into a PDF once I've posted on all the characters I believe deserve an analysis, but I'm still quite a ways from that point.

I've realized I forgot to tell you about my most vivid memory of the Opportunist's performance. Since the story also illustrates a couple of important mistakes, I'll relate it here.

Devon Regal had slipped up onto a Mesa to place the Lancer Sentinel. On his platter and on the closest connecting platter were half a dozen enemy characters, giving the Lancer a target rich environment. When my opponent's turn came around Napoleon and Milena Arrbato met in the neighboring platter to trade cards. The Lancer homed in on them, powered up, and exploded(sometimes the Lancer has done extremely well for us; the rest of the time it's destroyed itself with a roll of 12, on at least four occasions with the first shot it tried to take!).

With an exasperated sigh and a muttered, "If you want something done right . . ." Devon slipped down the Mesa, moved to within six spaces of Milena and Napoleon, and used his special ability to unleash the Phoenix Breath on them. The Freedom Fighter managed to beat out the flames, but the Emperor of France, a man consumed by his own ambition, was also consumed by this sudden inferno.

Piccolo and another character, I believe Ace Cannon, leapt on the Duke to deliver swift and bloody vengeance, but Devon still had a trick up his sleeve. Lifting his right hand he used the Repulsor to propel them away, their equipment falling at his feet. On my turn Devon scooped it up and fled.

Piccolo and Ace pursued, and Kiri Silvertip also joined in the chase, all three of them catching up with the Opportunist. Leveling the Navy Pistol he'd taken from Piccolo at the man, Devon Amazed on the damage and the bullet caught the Italian in the throat, putting him down for the count.

Kiri and Ace vented their fury on the Duke, but he managed to survive their attentions with a single point of Health. Then it was my turn again. Far on the other side of the map Ronin Sanjiro used the Alliance Cube as a Free Action to appear on Devon's space. The Opportunist then used his Dismissal power to escape. Finally Ronin unleashed the Spyrda pet on Kiri. In the following melee phase the Spyrda killed both Kiri and Ronin. I'd ended up killing three of the enemy characters in exchange for one of my own.

A brilliant victory? No, not really; I needed far too much luck to pull this off. I took a huge risk when I picked up Ace's and Piccolo's cards and ran for it. I was fortunate there was a ranged weapon in there, more fortunate to Amaze on the damage and kill Piccolo, and seriously blessed to survive a round of close combat with Ace and Kiri.

By the same token, I should have had Ronin leave the space immediately after siccing the Spydra on Ace. I gambled on Ronin's Green Armor deflecting the Spydra's strike, a gamble I lost along with a valuable character.

At the time I was overlooking the fundamental fact that it's worth more to have your characters alive than to have your enemies dead, and so I took too many chances with Duke Regal's life. A better course would have been to have Ronin use the Alliance Cube in the first turn after Devon used the Repulsor, have the Duke Dismiss himself next and then have Ronin sic the Spyrda on Piccolo and Ace. I would have gotten one less kill that way, but it would have been a much safer and more rational strategy.

I believe Milena had gotten a rifle from Napoleon and she should have used it, but she didn't want to have to sacrifice the weapon if her other characters could instead kill the Opportunist in close combat. That was a much more reasonable gamble than mine, but it didn't pay off this time; I ended up winning that game, with Milena shooting Mr. Catskill in the last turn and getting a twelve for damage, after which the Vigilante returned fire and killed her.

As you can see, luck covers a multitude of failings, but better not to have to rely on luck to save you in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.