Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Axis & Allies Europe 1940» Forums » Rules

Subject: Basic Unit Attack Abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
These are noob questions but I am a noob to this game and I just want to be clear on the rules, since they aren't really spelled out in the rule book.

Can tanks attack air?
Can artillery attack air?
I'm pretty sure infantry can attack air, am I correct?
Land cannot attack sea or vice versa unless an amphibious attack is made by sea, correct?
All air can attack all land and sea, correct?
Subs and transports are the only sea that can't attack air, correct?
All air can attack all air, correct?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron Fist
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, the answer is yes to all of your questions.

Lets say that you attack a territory with 6 tanks, and the territory you are attacking has 2 infantry and 3 planes, if your tanks get 5 hits then you kill both his infantry and all three of his planes.
The same goes for your artillery, and your infantry.
Subs can kill airplanes if the airplanes are on an aircraft carrier,,, example,, an enemy sea zone contains 1 transport and 1 carrier that has 2 planes on it,, you attack with 3 subs and you get a 1,1 and a 2,, the subs sneak attack sinks the carrier and the transport,, the carrier along with both planes are destroyed as well as the transport,, and none of them get to defend. so in that respect subs can attack air units,, but only if they hit on their sneak attacks,, if they miss on their sneaks and their is a place for the planes to retreat to,,such as an island in the sea zone, then the planes can defend or retreat and the subs can not hit them. Transports have no attack or defense so they can not hit anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow, thanks a lot for the help. My friends and I were almost certain tanks couldn't hit air just based on reality but maybe we are assuming they are panzers and not surface to air tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EaterofWorlds wrote:
example,, an enemy sea zone contains 1 transport and 1 carrier that has 2 planes on it,, you attack with 3 subs and you get a 1,1 and a 2,, the subs sneak attack sinks the carrier and the transport,, the carrier along with both planes are destroyed as well as the transport,, and none of them get to defend.

Note that in this example the planes are not automatically destroyed. They are allowed to move one space after the battle (in the noncombat movement phase) to find a place to land. If they cannot land, they are destroyed at that point.

mellowsmoothe wrote:
Wow, thanks a lot for the help. My friends and I were almost certain tanks couldn't hit air just based on reality but maybe we are assuming they are panzers and not surface to air tanks.

It's important to understand that this is a strategic level game. A tank piece doesn't represent one tank, but an armored division. As such, it does have some antiaircraft capability, as do (almost) all types of land and sea units.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron Fist
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for correcting my mistake Krieg, You are correct, the planes do get a chance to land if they can find a safe place to do so,, but the planes still do not get a chance to defend against the attacking subs,,, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, as there are no defending destroyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.