Age of Steam Expansion: Holland / Madagascar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Madagascar High Costs costs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
$4+ normal costs for building. Is that per hex, or for the whole building action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for clarification: Even if, for some reason, you don't build any tracks at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Using word lens on the French, it seems like it says the penalty is paid in either case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the English rules for the second edition the wording is, "...has to pay $4 + normal cost for each hex built this round.". This seems to indicate that it is only paid if building and is per hex not just for the entire build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hopkins
United States
Huntington Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malachi wrote:
Looking at the English rules for the second edition the wording is, "...has to pay $4 + normal cost for each hex built this round.". This seems to indicate that it is only paid if building and is per hex not just for the entire build.

Sorry to revive this older thread, but I was wondering if anybody ever got a definitive answer to this question. I think the rules could be read either way. The additional $4 per hex just seems way too brutal to me, but I agree that it would seem to only apply if you decide to build. How are folks playing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually played it since the original question came up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played that the $4 is paid before building track and is mandatory.
If a player has less than $4, they pay as much as they can. After paying $4, they can then build track for normal costs.

The rules say "$4 + normal costs for each hex built". That could be interpreted a couple of ways. Option 1: Pay $4 and then track tiles are normal cost or Option 2: Each track tile is $4 plus normal cost.

Option 2 would be a huge cost. For example a three tile build with two plain hexes and one hill hex would cost Option 1: $11 or Option 2: $19. Without the bad action, this build would be $7.

I see a case for both options. Either way, it qualifies as a bad action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.