Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Shmoe
United States
LEXINGTON
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am interested in purchasing either railways of the world or steam. i want railways (mainly because it supports up to 6 players while steam only allows up to 5), but i've read the time is dependent on the number of players. the information about the game says 2 - 6 players and 120 minutes, but i've also read that the time depends on the number of players (each player will take about 30 - 45 minutes). that makes the 6 player game potentially much longer. i really don't have the ability to play a game over 2 - 2.5 hours at a time right now. so for anyone who has played railways how long does it take. would you recommend steam instead?

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are fine time-wise once the players are familiar with the system.

Both are great games, it just depends on your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games take longer with more players.

we can do 2 player games in 60 minutes,
i would say for 4+ players about 30-45 per player is about right.
30 if people are paying attention and all know the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same dilemma and went with Steam. Railways of the World is in some ways more fun, I think, but Steam fits on a normal sized table and feels to me like it's easier to get a game going.

Also, Steam comes with advanced rules (they call it something else) which brings the game closer to Age of Steam. So you can play it two ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Steam will always last around 90 minutes for 3 to 5 players. 2 player may take less, tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kimes

Fort Wayne
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World can be a quick game. If you use the rotors from the Railways of the West Expansion in any Railways game I have seen play time down to 1 hour even with 6 people. I personally didn't like it that short. Play time will typically be between 2-2 1/2 hours for 5-6 players. You have other options that could cut down play time without ruining the game too. If you were to reduce the number of empty city markers you need that would certainly shorten the game. But as I mentioned 2 1/2 hours is typical if your taking longer than that you have to many Analysis Paralysis players playing.

The game isn't strictly time dependent based on players. In a 2-3 player game you reduce the number of cubes per city. Plus depending on how many players are playing determine the number of empty city markers needed to end the game. Those factors work to balance the game out time wise. And yes a 2 player game will always be shorter than a 6 player game but it's not exactly each extra player will add a specific extra amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Looks to me like the time estimate is presuming some "analysis paralysis" - that some players will need extra time to think over their moves, which is not at all a given, though it can be likely depending on the game.

Between the 2, it's mostly about how difficult you want the game to be - advanced straight up STEAM can be very punishing, demand a lot of planning, and one wrong move early on could guarantee you're not going to win - RAILWAYS has several mechanics (bonus cards, rail barons) that make the game not as punishing, easier to make up for mistakes, and allow for higher scores and faster development of rail empires - some deep-dish types think STEAM is the only one worth bothering with (some even feel it's only the original AGE OF STEAM that's really decent), but I'd say it depends on how 'serious' your group is - if they go for the complex stuff then get STEAM, if they need a little help sometimes, get RAILWAYS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Shmoe
United States
LEXINGTON
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't know if it matters, but one takes-up a huge amount of table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
I don't know if it matters, but one takes-up a huge amount of table space.

That's ROTW. And it is indeed huge. Compare the board's dimensions' to your table's before purchasing it.

I prefer Steam to ROTW, but your criteria don't allow me to suggest it over ROTW (or the other way around for that matter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.