Popular Tags: [View All]
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have been waiting to own BSG since its release in July so I chose it as my one Christmas game over the likes of Dust Tactics and Risk Legacy...needless to say a lot was riding on this first play.

Ships are great quality and we had no problems with the stands. I'm a little surprised there aren't more pics of custom paint jobs of the ships here on BGG! Boards, cards, etc are all good quality...but I see what everybody was saying about the insert now.

After one play of the first scenario, my first impression is that we had a lot of fun. It seemed to have the same effect we so love about heroscape....several 'lead' changes that allow both players to feel like you're in it until the very end.

However, I have to say that I was a little disappointed that so much of the play centered around card and energy management and not around the tactical movement/firing of ships.

I like deck building/playing games in general, but I really didn't expect it to be such a central mechanic in a tactical miniatures game. I see the rules for 'mission prepped cards', where the cards are not played from a deck but are attached prior to the mission...is this a viable way to use the cards to avoid the deck drawing?

Also,the energy scarcity is a little annoying. I understand you need to limit what can be done per turn, but having a per ship energy count instead of a fleet-wide energy would be more appealing to me.

Overall, I am conflicted because I love the concept of the game and so far find it fun to play...but I'm not thrilled with the primary mechanics.

More plays needed to figure it out....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The fleet-wide energy allocation gets a little weird as a game progresses and ships are destroyed as you can reach a point of energy glut (too much energy and not enough uses). I guess the thematic notion here is that the energy is more of a commander's ability to direct the fleet and his attention is a finite resource but that idea is a little weak when a fighter squadron decides to hesitate/pause in the middle of an attack because they haven't heard from base in the last few seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that overall it works, I like having to decide how to spend it. Although it doesn't seem very consitent, too little at the beginning, and energy surplus at the end, as previously mentioned.

However, for the idea of prepping cards before battle as a substitute for the deck, I have a hard time imagining that as a great way to go, because early on so much of my energy comes from discards. I'd feel even more constricted for energy. I do have a little bit of a thematic hang up when one crew member is on one ship, and then that ship is destroyed and he just appears on another ship. Or when the ships start equipping themselves with weapons part way through. I suppose you could make up for it by just recieving a couple extra energy per round, or maybe even one extra per ship/squadron on the board, that way, as the battle winds down, you might not have the big surplus.

Part of the fun of this game, is that the possibility for house rules is vast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a couple of more games now and the card/energy mechanics are starting to grow on me a little...

I also have a better understanding now that the ship special abilities and cards have lots of synergies/dependencies, so ripping the cards out is not an option without dramatically changing the balance of the game.

Still more plays needed....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.