Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a round of Bailen this evening as my inaugural game with a friend this evening. Great fun! Though I only used the Spanish Guerillas once—and their attempt to stymie a Command Card play was stymied!

I have two or three questions regarding the scenario.

1. In which hex should the Spanish Swiss mercenary leader Reding be placed? Should he be with the Spanish Swiss mercenary Infantry unit in the third or fourth hex from the left side of the map? ("Left" from the perspective of the reader.)

We played that he was with the unit in the fourth hex from the left side.

2. The scenario special rules for the French Swiss mercenaries is a little confusing, since it also contains information that applies to all of the mercenary units. Questions:

a. Once the French have lost two of their Swiss Mercenary Infantry units, the remaining two are removed from the board. The scenario says that "Their removal will not count as Victory Banners for the Spanish player."

Perhaps only those two automatically-removed units will not count as banners for the Spanish, but we played that none of the mercenaries counted as banners for either player when eliminated. How should Mercenary units be handled for Victory Banner purposes? Both Spanish and up to two French Swiss Mercenary Infantry units are eligible as Victory Banners pending their elimination during the game?

b. What happens to Schramm if he is on the board when the two remaining French Swiss Mercenary Infantry units are removed from the game due to the loss of their brother units? Is he also removed from play? Does he stay on the field? In our game, he was attached to a unit that bolted the field and we played that he left with them. I would guess that any other blue-star French Leader that happened to be attached to a Swiss unit when it bolted would remain on the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this one yesterday as well

wrote:

1. In which hex should the Spanish Swiss mercenary leader Reding be placed? Should he be with the Spanish Swiss mercenary Infantry unit in the third or fourth hex from the left side of the map? ("Left" from the perspective of the reader.)

We played that he was with the unit in the fourth hex from the left side.

I had the same question and ended up placing him in the third unit from the left

wrote:

2. The scenario special rules for the French Swiss mercenaries is a little confusing, since it also contains information that applies to all of the mercenary units. Questions:

a. Once the French have lost two of their Swiss Mercenary Infantry units, the remaining two are removed from the board. The scenario says that "Their removal will not count as Victory Banners for the Spanish player."

Perhaps only those two automatically-removed units will not count as banners for the Spanish, but we played that none of the mercenaries counted as banners for either player when eliminated. How should Mercenary units be handled for Victory Banner purposes? Both Spanish and up to two French Swiss Mercenary Infantry units are eligible as Victory Banners pending their elimination during the game?

b. What happens to Schramm if he is on the board when the two remaining French Swiss Mercenary Infantry units are removed from the game due to the loss of their brother units? Is he also removed from play? Does he stay on the field? In our game, he was attached to a unit that bolted the field and we played that he left with them. I would guess that any other blue-star French Leader that happened to be attached to a Swiss unit when it bolted would remain on the field.

I had to read this a few times...

Mercenary losses count as flags
The French can eliminate the Spanish/Swiss mercenaries and continue battling.
If the French/Swiss mercenaries experiences a 2nd loss (giving 2 banners to the Spanish) the two remaining French/Swiss mercenaries are removed from play (they do not count as banners)

I would say if the mercenary leader is detached from a mercenary unit, he can remain in play if all mercenaries are elininated or removed from play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Brady our game was even shorter than we thought since we didn't count the 2 French Swiss mercenaries as flags. "going for it all" and losing the Swiss early is a big handicap to overcome.

In both games last night as the French I made the mistake of underestimating the Spanish--especially when they are on the defensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to play again and next time I'll be the French!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
looked like a fun session. That was a great nite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it was Kevin except for A Game of Thrones--which oh by the way is on Ebay as we speak!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, Steve. Here's where I think we stand on the questions originally posted:

1. Reding's position needs a clarification. Otherwise, I think a fair house-rule is to allow the Spanish player to position him with either Spanish Swiss unit he wishes.

2.a. Eliminated Mercenary units do count for Victory Banners for the player that eliminated them. However, the two remaining French Swiss mercenary units that are removed from the game as a result of their Scenario Special Rule trigger do not count for Victory Banners for the Spanish player.

b. Schramm's role may need clarification. Otherwise, paying strict attention to the SSR, he stays on the table when the remaining two French Swiss mercenary units are removed from the game since he is not specifically addressed. All the while, he is eligible to be a leader casualty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.