Subject: Clarification on glory rewards for conquering a stronghold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Rousos
United States
Massillon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Quick question - the rules say that you get two glory for winning a battle and two glory for conquering a stronghold (either by battle or intimidation).

If you conquer a stronghold through battle, do you get two or four total? I ask because the term 'battle' (which earns two glory) could refer to the special 'battle' points of interest or it could refer to any fight with the enemy (conquering a city is often referred to as a battle).

I'm guessing that conquering a city by force is 4 glory (assuming no leaders or advisors change that), but I'd like to double check that I'm playing correctly.

Thanks!
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my second game (and first win). I wondered the same thing, but decided that if I was only allowed 2 glory for conquering a stronghold by battle, then the rules would be worded differently. So I too claimed 4 glory. Conquering a stronghold by intimidation would only be worth 2 (no battle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we refer to the rules :

"Pivotal Areas are marked with a Stronghold or Battle symbol. You must Conquer all Pivotal Areas to win a campaign. Battle symbols mark the location of key battles in Alexander’s life. You must use Battle to Conquer these Areas.
Stronghold symbols mark the location of large and important enemy cities that must be Conquered. You can use Battle or Intimidation to Conquer these Areas."

=> So "Battle" refers to both type of Pivotal Area.

"You gain 2 Glory each time you win a Battle, Conquer a Stronghold (either through Battle or Intimidation), or eliminate an enemy Leader."

On my opinion, it confirms that a stronghold conquered through battle provides 4 glory.
Also, i think otherwise that the author would have written something like "2 glory points each time you conquer a pivotal area or eliminate a leader".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a full campaign folowing that interpretation, i finally changed my mind about that rule.

After few Stronghold victories, I got so many glory points that it seams to me not really challenging. I could easilly buy all advisors and Insights by the end of Issus campaign...which is far far from the historical results. Furthermore, I have exeeded several times the max amount of glory shits available.
=> Maybe then, an alternative solution would be to consider that the maximum glory is limited by the number of shits.

Few common sense argues in favor of "2 glory points each time you conquer a pivotal area" :
- Battles should generally provide more glory than strongholds, especially if you "kill" the leader
- Additionnal glory can be collected in strongholds due to ennemy orders
- Intimidation is very more usefull

I will make a new try in that direction and see....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules states the case as Battle or Intimidation. It's either one or the other. I've always played with 2 Glory points and it seems balanced enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizz41 wrote:
If we refer to the rules :

"Pivotal Areas are marked with a Stronghold or Battle symbol. You must Conquer all Pivotal Areas to win a campaign. Battle symbols mark the location of key battles in Alexander’s life. You must use Battle to Conquer these Areas.
Stronghold symbols mark the location of large and important enemy cities that must be Conquered. You can use Battle or Intimidation to Conquer these Areas."

"You gain 2 Glory each time you win a Battle, Conquer a Stronghold (either through Battle or Intimidation), or eliminate an enemy Leader."

I was wondering about this also but from reading this post and considering here's my thoughts.

Taking this line;

you could say it means;

"You gain 2 Glory each time you CONQUER a Battle AREA, Conquer a Stronghold AREA (either through Battle or Intimidation), or eliminate an enemy Leader."

There are two types of Pivotal areas; Battle and Stronghold.
You must CONQUER all Pivotal Areas.
You get 2 Glory for CONQUERING either Area.
Battle Areas; Must Battle to Conquer.
Stronghold Areas; May Battle or Intimidate to Conquer.
If kill leader ALSO get 2 Glory.

As stated getting 4 glory makes things too easy.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike belliveau
Canada
st eustache
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You gain 2 Glory each time you win a Battle, Conquer a Stronghold (either through Battle or Intimidation), or eliminate an enemy Leader.

The only important word is OR. So you get 2 glory only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.