Subject: To say this game is fiddly.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..is an understatement.

I came from a 3 game session yesterday and I got a headache after. All the bean counting just kills the game sometimes. Besides the obvious lack of ways to track damage, health etc.. the cards could have used better lay-outing.. (they could have divided the text box into 3 bordered parts, start of turn, during turn, and end turn -- that way you don't have to read through the whole thing ALL THE TIME.)

But yes. I like the game. It's just that my head hurts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't try to talk you out of this impression, but I'll just respectfully offer that that hasn't been my impression of the game. I find the text to be very minimal and easy to process, especially compared to similar games (I've played the Call of Cthulhu LCG, for example, and we're not in the same universe as that game). Think of it this way: you're getting potentially a four to FIVE player CCG experience; the fact that it is playable at all - and with such a simple rule set is just exceptional. It's true that you have to keep track of a handful of modifiers sometimes, but that's the extent of managing the bookkeeping of the game. Once you learn the cards, there hardly is any reading necessary at all.

I am betting that at the end of the day we would agree more than disagree; we both rate the game a nine!

Edit: Looking back, I guess I did try to talk you out of your impression!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you're right. I was teaching the game to a first timer and we were controlling 2 heroes each. We also played different heroes, villains and environments in each of the 3 games we played.

Haha right. Yeah maybe that was pretty head-ache inducing. Familiarity probably is the cure. Good insight man. Appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! See there, there's another way I can defend the game: it attracts civil, good natured players! Hey, I'm jealous that you were able to get new players to the game and get them to experiment with different heroes (it's tough to get my group to try new games - but they will be trying this one).

As far as the HP counters go, by the way, I laminated the official HP counters (file is on BGG) and I pillaged the little red blocks from my copy of Pandemic to move along the tracks. For minion and device HP counters, I just use ten sided dice. Take care -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Deese
United States
Kaneohe
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Years of roleplaying games have given me a pretty high tolerance for fiddliness. It's pretty streamlined compared to most editions of D&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit that like Ronald, I've played several generations of D&D, so perhaps my tolerance for "fiddly" is very high. Just the same, while I admit that tracking hp totals and damage bonuses/penalties can be a bit cumbersome at time, I find the rest of the game extremely streamlined. Luckily, the expansion in April should make available tracking cards to handle the hp and damage tracking portion.

We only every had one real "problem" involving Twisting the Ether on an environment card, which we later determined to be illegal, since "target" is defined (in the glossary, we just missed it) as something with hp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
Aha! See there, there's another way I can defend the game: it attracts civil, good natured players! Hey, I'm jealous that you were able to get new players to the game and get them to experiment with different heroes (it's tough to get my group to try new games - but they will be trying this one).

As far as the HP counters go, by the way, I laminated the official HP counters (file is on BGG) and I pillaged the little red blocks from my copy of Pandemic to move along the tracks. For minion and device HP counters, I just use ten sided dice. Take care -

Thanks for the kind words James! It IS refreshing to get a constructive discussion going in BGG sometimes haha.

On second thought, I still think the game is fiddly and perhaps this is due to the lack of proper ways to track all the "floating" information. Comparatively, I remember liking another coop, the recent LOTR TCG, and I think that was way more streamlined compared to Sentinels. It had plenty of information to track also, but the design was better lending to a head-ache free experience. I wish Sentinels had that same polish (which is probably too much to ask I know). The only reason I traded it away was because it was SO DAMN HARD and I didn't want a game that I'd continue need to buy stuff for in order to be borderline competitive. But I digress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
its not that bad,i only wish they would use bold or different format to highlight keywords. in particular the environment cards should have an easy way to check whether it can be defused the rou d it is drawn or whether you have to wait one round to destroy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.