Alexander West
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The subject says it all, just a public service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At what point in time is it ok to talk about this game?

You know, like a movie or book. Eventually they have been out long enough to talk about. When are players going to lighten up about the whole spoiler thing? (if ever)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much a question of "when" as "how". Basically every spoiler in the game is available in well-marked spoiler threads. Similarly, I'm blogging my youth group's campaign in gritty spoiler-rich detail. But these areas all broadcast that spoilers are present, and I don't open anything I don't want to know about yet. I have not been accidentally spoiled by anything so labeled -- including the instructions for printing the bonus cards, which I've successfully added to my game without having read one word of their contents.

On the other hand, I've read a few major spoilers by accident where people have posted "Basic Game Question" and led off the thread by asking about how the Inanimate Carbon Rod interacts with Our New Insect Overlords and the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Laser Squirrel Hovertanks
in the Fortress America pocket. That's what gets people irritated, and it's likely to continue for the forseeable future. The game has been out for what, two months now? And people are discussing 20-game campaigns at the pace of 1 game a month? So yeah, for at least a year or two, this is going to remain a touchy issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
The game has been out for what, two months now? And people are discussing 20-game campaigns at the pace of 1 game a month? So yeah, for at least a year or two, this is going to remain a touchy issue.

I dream of the day, 13-20 weeks from now, when I can cast aside the ignorance of we who have packets unopened, and start reading the inside of those spoilers.

It will make a lot of these discussions make a lot more sense, that's for sure.

Anyhow, to return to the topic at hand: With a movie or book (or video game), we'd still be inside the "do not spoil" time period. And those are examples that take mere hours or days to experience. Risk Legacy, for most groups, will take at least 15 weeks (actual, scheduled gaming time generally doesn't get scheduled in Risk-accessible time frames more than weekly), possibly 7 weeks if the group manages 2 games per session on average. So, to be merely proportional the no-spoil period for Legacy would have to be quite some time, and definitely longer than a year.

The easiest solution is that people start remembering to mark their spoilers. Then, there will be no need for extra threads to call out the locations of unmarked spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:

...how the Inanimate Carbon Rod interacts with Our New Insect Overlords and the Hovertanks in the Fortress America pocket.

Oh great, now someone has to post a thread entitled Do not Read " Do not read "Got a copy that was played once. What to do with it? " - Unmarked Spoilers."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Headbutt wrote:
lomn wrote:
...how the Inanimate Carbon Rod interacts with Our New Insect Overlords and the Hovertanks in the Fortress America pocket.
Oh great, now someone has to post a thread entitled Do not Read " Do not read "Got a copy that was played once. What to do with it? " - Unmarked Spoilers."
Hehe, I don't care about teh spoilers. I'd think it was funny if the whining wasn't so annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Headbutt wrote:
lomn wrote:

...how the Inanimate Carbon Rod interacts with Our New Insect Overlords and the REDACTED in the Fortress America pocket.

I have corrected the spoiler (and redacted it from your quote). Everything else can be safely inferred by the order and length of spaces for new rule stickers, and so I've left those visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.