13 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: General RISK/RISK:Legacy tactics, your ideas? [no spoiler] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Please try to keep this thread spoilerfree for others.

In our current world after opening some packs and making some damn good choices of some winners/losers the continents evolved very interesting.

Especially there 3 things i would like to try to break in the next game (or at least one of them) and surprise our gaming round with some new move .

Of course it might be impossible to discuss this without seeing the actual map/game, but as the strategy forum of this game is quite empty, i think it is worth a try - if it did not work, we all will be fine either.

What are the specific "problems":
We are about 10-15 different players playing with 1 copy of the game but always the same things happen . We played always with only 4 players, which is really important to notice as we have a lot of more space than other gaming rounds with 5 players. (Damn time-tables)

Zone 1: The forgotten Land: Europe/Asia
No one ever starts in Europe/Asia in our round. Europe has to many borders which makes it impossible to get the continental bonus ever in early game. NA has always a safe border in the south and a damn hard border to Asia. Therefore NA/Asia always go for peace in the early game.

I am really thinking about how i could try a surprise start from Europe. Maybe letting some player even get his continental-bonus just for a peaceful time. Normally i do not ever want someone to get the continental-bonus. If they do not take their boni each/other or they fight already so hard, that i do not have to fear it anymore i will always try to break their continental-boni (especially Asia). Even went trough Africa breaking the Asia and Europe boni giving me a 3 border-war, which was really hell on earth, but maybe i would not have won the game else. 7 Units is a lot as we only have a little amount coins on the resource cards yet.

Zone 2: South America-Africa
Those continents seem to be designed to be at war in our copy, therefore NA has a peaceful south and Africa has a hard time as long as NA do not break this peace. I really have totally no idea at the moment how to break this conflict beside of not starting there, but then only Europe/Asia seem to be left as possible starting locations if i have to pick late. But as stated in Zone 1 i am not sure how to hold Europe due to many borders or how to hold Asia as the Australia player will be able to focus all his units just on this one region he needs to take your continental-boni.

Zone 3: Australia
One player managed it to really make this continent great - but only for him. Damn, i even helped him, by trying to crush him in one of the past games. This might be one of the worst RISK:Revolution decisions i ever made. No one except him will want to start there, he can always pick Australia as starting position and go for Asia next. The fast and easy continent bonus with the +1 as he named is really a great start for him.

Main problem: As Australia only has 1 border it is not impossible to dual attack him. I think about attacking Australia, always leaving only 1 unit behind, and let another player finish the Australia-Player allowing him to attack my own zones to avoid this problem. This would be really a great cost elimination of this player and i am really not sure if i should waste that many units ever.

I know it is hard to discuss such things, but maybe we will find a way. I think we could try it very generalized.

1) Do you let other players get their continental boni just for a short peace situation?
2) Do you avoid many cities in the beginning as they will cost you a lot of your units?
3) Did someone try to kick a player out of the game in the first round with starting as near as possible to reduce the number of dangerous players as fast as possible? I mean of course, it sucks to become punched in the first round out of the game (the "Going to war"-Rule is not a real help if it really happens) if you came over to your friend for a 1-1,5h hour game, but damn it could be a valid tactic in my eyes. It is really a moral dilemma, as i of course play with each one so that they have fun, but it could give me a great advantage.
4)As the attacker (without any rule-modifications) has a lot of advantage in risk, do you spread your armies down to 1 unit as far as possible for as many regions as possible? Vice-versa the players after you would have even a bigger advantage after counterattacking you.
5)Do you leave 2+ units back in the hinterlands for safety and play more passively? I think this would real nonsense as you normally want a 1 full stacked territory as the probabilities become "better" - still far from good for the defender - for you if you have more units than the attacker.
6)How do you usually try to expand after getting SA/Australia/Africa. This are the continents with the smaller continental-bonis. It seemed in our games you can fall behind quite fast if you do not play very aggresively the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Addressing from the perspective of early games:
Quote:
1) Do you let other players get their continental boni just for a short peace situation?
2) Do you avoid many cities in the beginning as they will cost you a lot of your units?
3) Did someone try to kick a player out of the game in the first round with starting as near as possible to reduce the number of dangerous players as fast as possible?
4)As the attacker (without any rule-modifications) has a lot of advantage in risk, do you spread your armies down to 1 unit as far as possible for as many regions as possible?
5)Do you leave 2+ units back in the hinterlands for safety and play more passively?
6)How do you usually try to expand after getting SA/Australia/Africa. This are the continents with the smaller continental-bonis. It seemed in our games you can fall behind quite fast if you do not play very aggresively the whole game.
1) Not unless I'm getting the better of the peace deal. Legacy moves very quickly in early games, and even a single turn's uncontested continent bonus can make the difference. But I'd agree to stay out of S America if it meant I held the N America bonus, for example. For a turn. And then I'd just crush S America anyway. I'd never agree to the reverse scenario.

2)First turn or two, yes, until I'm in a position to push for some larger objective (continent control, shortening borders, population benchmark, etc)

3)No. You (player A) can KO somebody (player B), yes. What that seems to mean is that you in turn are incredibly weak, and player C can grab 2 HQs (A and B) at minimal cost. I see the KO as a means to an end, usually when grabbing one of the southern continents from an opponent who's holed up there.

4-5)It depends. If possible, I'll try to leave moderate reinforcements in a second line, but the real issue is what sort of pace the other players force me to push. The nature of Red Stars rather than total conquest means that an aggressive player can completely bypass a single strong player and still win quickly. It also depends on nearby powers; for instance, if Enclave's roll reduction power is present, I'll consider putting a singleton on the front line to defuse their advantage.

6)Aus: I'm content to build forces behind the SE Asia/Indonesia line for a turn or two while the rest of the board develops. The disadvantage of Australia is that you can get left behind quickly if bigger continents are left unchallenged.
For the others, it's too heavily dependent on the rest of the board to generalize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
3)No. You (player A) can KO somebody (player B), yes. What that seems to mean is that you in turn are incredibly weak, and player C can grab 2 HQs (A and B) at minimal cost. I see the KO as a means to an end, usually when grabbing one of the southern continents from an opponent who's holed up there.

Not only that, but if you put your HQ two territories away from an existing HQ, they will go before you and potentially wipe you out on the first turn. If you put your HQ two territories away from a Major City, the the person who owns that Major City will probably just start somewhere else.

To that end, you may be able to keep the Australia player from starting in Australia, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my strategy considerations after six games:

1. Do not let anyone get the continent bonus for N. America, Europe or Asia, ever. Always take one territory from someone who will get such a bonus. Point out to the others how helpful you are, stopping that person.

2. Try to win the game with one explosive turn that gives you two red stars in one turn. As a corollary to this, do not let anyone else have two red stars from HQs if you can help it.

3. Get a card every turn. If you have to, propose to someone that you take one of his territories and that he take it back on his turn. "That way we both get a card!" Of course, empty out that territory except for one unit. What a friend you are!

4. If a territory card has three or more coins on it, keep that in mind, and control that territory when possible. Four or more coins is high-alert status; such a territory is super-valuable. Do not let it go unconquered lightly.

5. Make the necessary sacrifices to take cities if you can do so without them being taken right back. The extra population is no joke. But also be aware of how empty cities make nice walls, depending on your particular board. If an empty city is between you and someone else, consider leaving it empty. If an empty city is in the middle of nowhere, consider taking it, because it is worth an extra territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander West
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I have played four games so far, and won two of them. My strategy for this game has quickly moved very far from strategies that I liked in Classic Risk.

1) Force Conservation - My medium-term goal is to always maximize the number of troops I have. I see a lot of players try to hold Continent X, and no one in our group really is willing to let anyone else do that. The Australia player kind of gets away with it, but every other continent, there are too many hostile neighbors. Therefore, I've decided to just stop trying to hold continents (unless I was lucky enough to deploy down under), and conserve my troops. Think about it: every time you try to hold North America and leave 3 troops on each border, it is a surefire recipie for someone else to break your bonus and kill those 3 troops. The net result is that you are down 3 troops, the opposite of your goal!

2) Gain Cards - The game is now all about using your few troops to score points. Obviously you want to hit do something to advance your position every turn. Grabbing other peoples HQs is more of a "finishing move" since it paints you as threatening, and tends to invoke vendettas and such. Instead, you just want to peacefully expand (if Imperial Balkania) or just fight to gain the one territory per turn minimum. If you can get the game to go four turns, and you've got card each turn, well, there's one of the stars you'll need.

3) Play for the Territory Star - Increasingly, I like playing in areas like Asia, Europe, and North America (that no one wants), and NOT trying to get the continent bonus. I just want to grab up as many territories as people will let me have withing invoking anyone's wrath. Sometimes people forget about the Territory Star, and you can manipulate which territories you attack/control so that you can get/cause other people to get coins more often. I've won a surprise upset game where I got the territory star, and then swooped in for a quick win because people didn't realize I was so close. I've also gotten to collect 4 troops on a turn for having 12+ territories/cities, which was nice.

4) Take Other People's Cities - I think moving into a city is a raw deal. You lose two troops to get one territory, and only leave one defender. In the abstract, I'd rather just take two territories, and leave two defenders. I'd only really ever want to do this if I never thought I would have to defend the territory in question. (Like, I was Australia or Africa, and the city was in New Guinea or South Africa.) On the flip side, taking other people's cities is great - they don't have any defense bonuses, but you get 2 (or 3 for a Major City) territories for the price of 1 conflict!

5) Make Yourself an Unattractive Target - I think there is no hard and fast rule about how to allocate your troops. The key is to make no one want to attack you. Part of this is done strategically, by not looking like a threat (i.e. avoiding continental conquest), part is done diplomatically, and part of it is done logistically by looking at the board. If your neighbors only have 2 defenders on random territories, maybe you put down 3 so that when given the choice, an attacking player just goes for the cheaper spot.

I certainly look forward to playing more to see how my strategies in this game evolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
dbuel wrote:
If you have to, propose to someone that you take one of his territories and that he take it back on his turn. "That way we both get a card!" Of course, empty out that territory except for one unit. What a friend you are!

I totally love that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxMortem wrote:
dbuel wrote:
If you have to, propose to someone that you take one of his territories and that he take it back on his turn. "That way we both get a card!" Of course, empty out that territory except for one unit. What a friend you are!

I totally love that one

I call that "wargames" or "military exercises"...although in Legacy you can't dawdle too long or else someone will plow through that wargame enroute to your HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Barbuto
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Australia- Why can't anyone but the one player settle in Australia? Are all four territories and its one Asian border territory marked? If not, settle in the unmarked territory. If it is 100% marked, build up troops in a neighboring territory. The Australian player will only be getting five troops per turn. If you have a larger continent bonus or team up with another player, you can easily take away Australia from him or her.

Ruthlessness- I don't know what to tell you about this one. I've lost the game two times because I was too nice. One game I could have easily taken out a player in Africa but felt bad about doing so because it was only the second turn, so I didn't.

Another game I was stuck in Asia and convinced the North American player to focus his attention on South America. I was legitimately trying to help him because South America was getting too powerful, but after he maneuvered his troops I noticed I now had a chance to invade him through Alaska. I didn't because I thought that was too much of a jerk move.

However the last game I played the player who started in North America made a beeline for me in Australia during the first move. He didn't stop attacking me until he wiped me out and wound up winning the game. Go figure.

Territory Star- Someone mentioned this, but I'm not sure what he means. Are you referring to the star someone gets the first time the coin card deck is depleted? If so, then this is one of the hardest ways to get a victory point with my group. Whenever we notice the coin card deck only has two or three cards left, someone always turns in cards for troops to build this deck back up so the player with the most territories doesn't get the star.

If by "territory star" you're referring to a new way of getting a victory point from the packets or mission cards, then please don't tell me anything about it. I haven't opened enough packets yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Australia, you can - but you do really not want to start there. The only viable possible position would be in Asia, where you will not get any contintental bonus for a long time. Someone already managed in a 4 player game to start in Asia and win?

Territory star, he is referring to the empty gold coin pile but i think one of us is definetly playing the game wrong in same way. In my opinion the traded in gold coins are not put back on the other gold coins UNTIL the territory-ressource cards are ALL drawn. This would be the time we reshuffle the discard pile, not one second earlier. Still i have never seen in 7 games anyone getting this star. 2+ coins of a territory over 1 coin are that much better as you can calculate it into your strategy. Also i am pretty sure you HAVE to take a territory card if you may and may not to chose to pick a coin card instead which makes it quite hard to get it anyhow. With 5 players coin cards would be picked more often obviously (you will have less territories than with 4 players)

In my opinion this is nearly impossible in most games until there are really a lot of shredded cards, which will not happen that fast as you only shred cards if they become worthy it as you need to win the game for that. I think this will happen more often when you played your 20+ games and there arent any packs and/or stickers left. Also it will happen faster in a 5 player group than in a 4 player group.

In a 4 player group you can sticker longer as there will enter less stickers your board after each game and some packs will open faster while other will take more time. Both affects how many worthy territories there are in the game. The same happens if in a group there are a lot of eliminations, as eliminated players may not chose anything after the game.

Btw, this is one of the greatest things in Risk: Legacy. Even if you know you will not win anymore, at least our group fights as hard as they can for this minor city or the one coin sticker they may place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxMortem wrote:
Territory star, he is referring to the empty gold coin pile but i think one of us is definetly playing the game wrong in same way. In my opinion the traded in gold coins are not put back on the other gold coins UNTIL the territory-ressource cards are ALL drawn.
Rob has explicitly clarified that coin cards are returned to their stack immediately when redeemed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Trying to KO someone early on seems pretty silly, since chances are there are spaces early game for a faction to redeploy to get back into the game. And it makes both players involved in the early attack very vulnerable to a 3rd party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
it's not THAT hard. A KO can be done by stomping someone, then taking his HQ for your 4th victory point. They won't get a chance to respawn sinc ethe game is over. Thus it's a KO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Critical Geek

California
msg tools
I've got a few deal makers in my group, making all those who don't make peace deals lose. This makes europe and america THE places to be. We've discovered that knocking out each other's continent bonuses only makes australia win, so the games have turned into "peace until someone goes for the win, then all hell breaks loose".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.