Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have info on how to get started using this ruleset? What minis do I need? Where can you buy them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing you would need to do is decide which scale or size of models you would like to use. There are a lot of choices, so you will need to consider them based on availability, the space you have, your budget, the amount of detail you want, etc.
Take a visit to your local gaming shop to discuss it with the people there. There might be someone in your area who already collects that you can hook up with to play. Visit The Miniatures Page website to see what others are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
What Noel said. The most common scale/sizes for skirmish are 28mm, 20mm or 1/72 and 15mm. There are also folks who play in 6mm, 10mm, 40mm, 1/48 and even 1/35 and 54mm.

Nuts! is a skirmish game, it really is intended to be played with a squad or so per side. It can handle a platoon per side but you are starting to push the limits of what the system can really handle at that point.

So, pick a size you like and pick up some figs. You can pick up a platoon pack each of Battlefront's 15mm figs and have pretty much all the figs you'll ever need for around $40. Or you can pick up a couple boxes of plastic 1/72 scale figs and again have pretty much all the figs you'll ever need for around $20 or so.
28mm figs are a little more expensive and I'm not sure if anyone is selling platoon packs but you can simply buy enough figs to field a couple of squads per side and be set.

The larger the figs the more expensive terrain and vehicles will be.

Recommendations:
For 15mm I would look at Forged in Battle, Battlefront, Peter Pig and Resistant Roosters for infantry figs. Command Decision are nice as well but are sold in bags of 50 per pose making it a bit difficult to buy small units worth of figs. You really aren't going to need 50 BAR gunners lol!

For 20mm or 1/72 AB Miniatures are top notch but expensive and hard to get in the US. THQ and Elheim have been making some nice figs.
Lots of plastic available out there, check at http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx

I also like the looks of the Valiant figs, which are true 1/72 and therefore a bit bigger than the other plastics sold as 1/72 and 20mm. Not a problem as long as you stick with one company, not a big deal when you are looking at such a small amount of figs.

In 28mm I like the older Bolt Action stuff, Artizan and Crusader are also popular though I don't like their inability to model the US M1 helmet properly. Victory Force are very nice, but like the Valiant figs mentioned above, are a good deal larger than the other 28mm figs out there. Not a problem if you stick with VF, but they will stand out some from the other ranges. See here for comparisons:
http://www.mainly28s.com/comparison/+1910F.figures_compariso...

Download a copy of Chain Reaction 3.0 as they are the basic system that Nuts! 2.0 is based on to see if you like them in the first place

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the incredibly helpful info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.