Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin O'Brien
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the hotel is adjacent to the train station when it's placed, does the cowboy who controls the hotel get to annex it twice for $4 and also get the $4 bonus as per normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Emmowbee wrote:
If the hotel is adjacent to the train station when it's placed, does the cowboy who controls the hotel get to annex it twice for $4 and also get the $4 bonus as per normal?

If it next to the station, it is annexed twice for $2 each time. You then get a $4 bonus for having the station placed on the board. So this play nets you $8 for the Hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin O'Brien
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer of the game said this is incorrect in a similar thread. Effectively the Hotel gets annexed every time a railroad/train station is built regardless of proximity to the railroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shemar wrote:
The designer of the game said this is incorrect in a similar thread. Effectively the Hotel gets annexed every time a railroad/train station is built regardless of proximity to the railroad.

I don't fully understand his rationale. Annexing and control are two separate functions. Annexing should happen twice and the control Bonus once as the rules are written. Nothing in the rules says the Control Replaces the annexation.

But while this seems to conflict with his intent, he does say nothing is wrong with playing it that way either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rationale is that the rules were badly written/translated. Hotel's Control ability should not be "You get $2 when a railroad is built and $4 when the Train Station is built" it should really be "the Hotel gets annexed every time a railroad/train station is built even if it is not adjacent".

If you find the other thread you will see I had the exact same conversation with him, and that my interpetation of the rules as written was the same as yours initially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loic Lamy
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a problem durign development of the game : I had wrote rules in French, they translated it in English, we worked on the English version, and as my English is not good enough, I did not see the little change of the power of the hotel.

Anyway, now, when one ask me how to play the hotel, I reply the same than Brian (control : +2$ and if adjacent : annex = +2$ for a railroad - +4/+4 for train station).

I've done this choice because :
- that is the rule that is written
- it does not change the interest of the game
- it is easier to explain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for the further input Loic.

It is good to see that you think the rule as written works because of this: Now that FFG has the game, they often overrule the designer anyways. We had a similar issue with Red November and a disagreement with Bruno Faidutti on ah FAQ answer were they both ruled opposite of each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.