Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a stupid question since these games are not even in the same genre, but i need to know!
My gaming group likes Starcraft and since it is a fairly complex game with a deckbuilding mechanic (as is Mage Knight) I would like to know whether you guys who like Starcraft also like Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I happen to like both, but I don't know if there is a link between the two. MK is an adventure game. Starcraft is a wargame. If you get MK, be prepared for a lot of rules reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
If you get MK, be prepared for a lot of rules reading.

Well, they do have that in common.

I once heard Starcraft described as, "the game in which the winner is the person who remembers the most rules."

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Staub
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is a longer and deeper game then Starcraft (To me at least). It has a lot more going on and each turn feels like a puzzle to me. Every turn you have a hand of cards that allong with your board position determines what you can do. The Puzzle part is using this information to plan your best move. There is almost no Random durring your turn (The exceptions are Playing a card that allows you to draw new cards and exploring a new map tile) so it feels less like a wargame and more like a puzzle.

I like both games but 99% of the time I would rather play Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crparis wrote:

I once heard Starcraft described as, "the game in which the winner is the person who remembers the most rules."

meeple

Isn't this true for all boardgames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sammual wrote:
Mage Knight is a longer and deeper game then Starcraft (To me at least). It has a lot more going on and each turn feels like a puzzle to me. Every turn you have a hand of cards that allong with your board position determines what you can do. The Puzzle part is using this information to plan your best move. There is almost no Random durring your turn (The exceptions are Playing a card that allows you to draw new cards and exploring a new map tile) so it feels less like a wargame and more like a puzzle.

I like both games but 99% of the time I would rather play Mage Knight.

How long is Mage Knight for 4 players? Longer than 5 hours?

"There is almost no Random durring your turn " this is what I want in my boardgames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sammual wrote:
... There is almost no Random durring your turn (The exceptions are Playing a card that allows you to draw new cards and exploring a new map tile) so it feels less like a wargame and more like a puzzle...

While I agree with the general statement of the game being rather free of randomness, there are also the face-down enemies you encounter on several sites and drawing an artifact as reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft is an inherently confrontational game. You're managing resources to war on other players, and they on you. Deterrence and bluffing play roles in Starcraft, but you won't find much of either of those in Mage Knight.

It feels like you're "in it to win it" in Starcraft until the very end of the game. You're always vying for victory there. I can't say the same is true for Mage Knight (it's not for most games).

Both have a substantial ruleset and brain-burning planning. In Starcraft this is where, and in what order, to place your order tokens. In Mage Knight it's how to play your hand of cards. Oftentimes Mage Knight is the easier/less stressful of the two.

Mage Knight has substantial end-game scoring and end-game majority scoring, whereas Starcraft has special victory conditions and a fairly revealed scoring track.

They're both long games that keep you pretty involved, and play well with a fairly low number of players. Adding more players substantially increases both play time and table space required in Starcraft, but this is less true of Mage Knight.

I think the kind of person suitable to play Starcraft is definitely suitable to play Mage Knight. If the game of Mage Knight itself sounds interesting to you, I'd say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam.skinner wrote:
Starcraft is an inherently confrontational game. You're managing resources to war on other players, and they on you. Deterrence and bluffing play roles in Starcraft, but you won't find much of either of those in Mage Knight.

It feels like you're "in it to win it" in Starcraft until the very end of the game. You're always vying for victory there. I can't say the same is true for Mage Knight (it's not for most games).

Both have a substantial ruleset and brain-burning planning. In Starcraft this is where, and in what order, to place your order tokens. In Mage Knight it's how to play your hand of cards. Oftentimes Mage Knight is the easier/less stressful of the two.

Mage Knight has substantial end-game scoring and end-game majority scoring, whereas Starcraft has special victory conditions and a fairly revealed scoring track.

They're both long games that keep you pretty involved, and play well with a fairly low number of players. Adding more players substantially increases both play time and table space required in Starcraft, but this is less true of Mage Knight.

I think the kind of person suitable to play Starcraft is definitely suitable to play Mage Knight. If the game of Mage Knight itself sounds interesting to you, I'd say go for it.

Thanks for the info! That's what I wanted to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam.skinner wrote:

Two more questions: While reading some of the negative thoughts about Mage knight , I came across the problem downtime and was wondering is it bigger in MAge Knight or in Starcraft. What about playtime for 4 players, full conquest scenario? We finish our 4 player games of Starcraft in 5-6 hours and we find that OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.