Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo fellow Defenders,
I bought the whole Defenders of the Realm’s set (base game+expansions) in Essen but everyday struggles never allowed me to take my time to read the rules: I finally could under Christmas and already played a couple of games with the base box only.
And I fell in love with this game at once: had I only had the chance to play it more often, I think Defenders could have easily become this year’s favourite of mine.

As it’s obvious though, many doubts and questions about the rules were raised during both games: I could find an answer to most of them just by browsing or searching this forum and the Faq but still can’t satisfy my need for explanations about a handful of uncertainties.
So I look for help here and I'm sure I’ll find it.

1) Fireball
I’ve understood how it works (or I think so) and reckon its use is a «free action» I can repeat more than once per turn just by paying a card of a minion-matching color.

Yet one thing I ain’t sure is how far its damage range extends: say two red and a blue minions are in the same location. The mage comes, flexes his muscles by using a red or blue card and casts a fireball: he rolls two red and a blue dice. He gets a 5 on a red die and two 1s on the remaining ones: are all the three minions killed or are just the red ones, since the mage didn’t get at least a 2 with the blue die?

More shortly: does the mage need to roll a 2 per minion color in order to get rid of the matching minions or is a 2 enough to kill all the (differently colored) minions in the same location?

2) Quests
2a) When a player fails to or completes his quest can he draw another quest card immediately and start completing it in the same turn or does he need to wait until his next turn?

2b) In a game we used up all of the quest cards: is it usual or did we concetrate too much on them? Of course, when the quest cards deck ran out we didn’t draw any card more.
I reckon the upcoming expansion will be very helpful to prevent this from happening again.

3) Special (purple) cards
3a) If I understood it correctly, the special cards I discard (because I’ve more than ten cards in my hand or because they’ve been used as an extra attack card against a general or because of other similar needs) aren’t put aside as though I used their power but are to be put in the used-hero-cards deck and will come into play again after the first reshuffle: am I correct?

3b) The same is made with the special cards I draw when collecting rumors in the inns, right?

3c) I’m using all of the special cards (but not yet any of the global effects cards): by browsing other threads I read someone suggested to remove some of them before playing. Is this the standard way to play or a house rule?
Sadly in the rulebook I couldn’t find any hint about removing cards before playing.

4) Generals and taint
Just as a confirmation: generals do not count as to determine if a location has been tainted, right?
Only minions do: so a location isn’t yet tainted (but very close to) should there be three minions and a general, am I right?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
Hallo fellow Defenders,
I bought the whole Defenders of the Realm’s set (base game+expansions) in Essen but everyday struggles never allowed me to take my time to read the rules: I finally could under Christmas and already played a couple of games with the base box only.
And I fell in love with this game at once: had I only had the chance to play it more often, I think Defenders could have easily become this year’s favourite of mine.

As it’s obvious though, many doubts and questions about the rules were raised during both games: I could find an answer to most of them just by browsing or searching this forum and the Faq but still can’t satisfy my need for explanations about a handful of uncertainties.
So I look for help here and I'm sure I’ll find it.

1) Fireball
I’ve understood how it works (or I think so) and reckon its use is a «free action» I can repeat more than once per turn just by paying a card of a minion-matching color.

Yet one thing I ain’t sure is how far its damage range extends: say two red and a blue minions are in the same location. The mage comes, flexes his muscles by using a red or blue card and casts a fireball: he rolls two red and a blue dice. He gets a 5 on a red die and two 1s on the remaining ones: are all the three minions killed or are just the red ones, since the mage didn’t get at least a 2 with the blue die?

More shortly: does the mage need to roll a 2 per minion color in order to get rid of the matching minions or is a 2 enough to kill all the (differently colored) minions in the same location?

2) Quests
2a) When a player fails to or completes his quest can he draw another quest card immediately and start completing it in the same turn or does he need to wait until his next turn?

2b) In a game we used up all of the quest cards: is it usual or did we concetrate too much on them? Of course, when the quest cards deck ran out we didn’t draw any card more.
I reckon the upcoming expansion will be very helpful to prevent this from happening again.

3a) If I understood it correctly, the special cards I discard (because I’ve more than ten cards in my hand or because they’ve been used as an extra attack card against a general or because of other similar needs) aren’t put aside as though I used their power but are to be put in the used-hero-cards deck and will come into play again after the first reshuffle: am I correct?

3b) The same is made with the special cards I draw when collecting rumors in the inns, right?

3c) I’m using all of the special cards (but not yet any of the global effects cards): by browsing other threads I read someone suggested to remove some of them before playing. Is this the standard way to play or a house rule?
Sadly in the rulebook I couldn’t find any hint about removing cards before playing.

4) Generals and taint
Just as a confirmation: generals do not count as to determine if a location has been tainted, right?
Only minions do: so a location isn’t yet tainted (but very close to) should there be three minions and a general, am I right?

Thank you in advance for any help!

1) Fireball You have to spend an Action to Engage Minions in Combat, so Fireball is not free. You roll a die of the appropriate color for each minion and a roll of 2+ per die defeats one minion of the appropriate color.

2) Quests
2a) You can start to complete the Quest immediately.

3a) Special cards, if used to fight a General, either as dice or for their special ability, are discarded from the game.

3b) Any special cards drawn when using the Rumors at the Inn action are retained by the player.

3c) The special card rules you reference are found in the Dragon Expansion.

4) Generals and taint
Correct. Only minions are considered for taint placements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Although David already gave you the answers to your questions (thanks David), I thought I would elaborate for a little more clarity on a couple:

1) Fireball - is this a free action?

No, the player must still spend 1 action to cast. The Fireball just make each die rolled in the attack hit on a 2+. So, for example, there are 2 Undead Minions and 1 Demon Minion on the space. The Wizard spends 1 Action to attack and discards a Red Hero card to use his Fireball ability (it could have been a Red or a Black card - must match at least 1 of the minion colors present) to attack. The player now rolls 2 Black dice and 1 red Dice, each hitting on a 2+. So if the dice rolled were Black 2, 3, and Red 1 - both Black would be slain and the Demon survive.

Does the Wizard using his Fireball need to roll a 2 per minion color in order to get rid of the matching minions or is a 2 enough to kill all the (differently colored) minions in the same location?

Must roll 2+ per minion as noted in the example above.

2) Quests:

2A) When a player fails to or completes his quest can he draw another quest card immediately and start completing it in the same turn or does he need to wait until his next turn?

When a Quest is failed (or completed) the player immediately draws a new Quest.

2B) In a game we used up all of the quest cards: is it usual or did we concentrate too much on them?

I have never seen this happen, so it seems odd to me. Quests can be valuable, but not all Quests should be pursued immediately as there are often other more pressing issues the players must balance - things like fighting nests of Minions that grow quickly, or seeking rumors in the Inn, or building a Gate cations, or gathering to fight a General in group combat. One of the things I love about this game is that there are so many choices for the players each turn and their choices shift the importance of future choices as the war rages on.

3A) If I understood it correctly, the special cards I discard (because I’ve more than ten cards in my hand or because they’ve been used as an extra attack card against a general or because of other similar needs) aren’t put aside as though I used their power but are to be put in the used-hero-cards deck and will come into play again after the first reshuffle: am I correct?

No - A Special card used as Dice in Combat or their Special Ability are discarded to the box and out of play. A card discarded without being used may be shuffled back in, but since these cards are very powerful it is unlikely that discarding them would be a good strategy.

Special cards drawn in a Rumors action is always added to the players hand regardless of the color they called.

If just using the base game special cards, none would be discarded, all are used. When adding the Special cards from the Dragon Expansion, then the Special cards are shuffled independently and 6 are discarded to the box. This ensures that the same number of Special cards are used in each game. If all were to be used (base game and 6 from the Dragon Expansion) the difficulty of the game would be reduced.

4) Do Generals count toward the taint and overrun event for locations?

No - Only Minions are counted toward a location tainting, or Minions overrunning a location.

Something you may want to print and review are the 2 FAQs posted on this site (1 for the base game and 1 for the Dragon Expansion). In these FAQs I went into great detail on many questions from players that may prove helpful to you.

Thanks for defending the realm - Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Richard and David for your help! Now the things are a bit clearer for me.
I've just one more doubt about the fireball:

Richard Launius wrote:
So if the dice rolled were Black 2, 3, and Red 1 - both Black would be slain and the Demon survive.

If instead the dice rolled were Black 3, 1 and Red 2, a Black and a Red minion would be slain while the second Black minion would survive, right?

And after this fireball I can cast (this time freely: no action spent, I just discard a card, which now has to be black only) another fireball to slay the remaining black minion: is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
Thank you Richard and David for your help! Now the things are a bit clearer for me.
I've just one more doubt about the fireball:

Richard Launius wrote:
So if the dice rolled were Black 2, 3, and Red 1 - both Black would be slain and the Demon survive.

If instead the dice rolled were Black 3, 1 and Red 2, a Black and a Red minion would be slain while the second Black minion would survive, right?

And after this fireball I can cast (this time freely: no action spent, I just discard a card, which now has to be black only) another fireball to slay the remaining black minion: is this correct?

Correct, one Black minion would survive. But, to attack the surviving Black minion, you must still spend an action. So, for your example, you must spend both an action and a black card to attack the surviving Black minion with a fireball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Correct, one Black minion would survive. But, to attack the surviving Black minion, you must still spend an action. So, for your example, you must spend both an action and a black card to attack the surviving Black minion with a fireball.

Ok, it's clear now: then it's one action per fireball cast.
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.