Subject: Sticking with the same Faction vs. Switching it up every game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
In your Risk Legacy game world; Is everyone sticking with the same faction or are you guys switching every game.
Same Faction for all 15 games.
Pick/Get random faction before each game.
      82 answers
Poll created by Hound Archon

I was just wondering what everyone's take is on how your playing the factions in the game. When I first opened the game up, my friends and I we're excited about playing just one faction, kind of like a RPG. It seemed really cool to be part of the story with your team of guys fighting the good fight. I feel like your not really part of the story anymore if you keep switching factions. You still get to watch the world story unfold but... I don't know, its just not the same.

I've been reading a lot and It seems a lot of people online are saying that the factions aren't really balanced? That the balance comes from picking a new faction every game. Is this true? Why wouldn't the factions just be balanced against each other? Why would one be worse than the others and the balance is to try and not play that team. That doesn't really make sense.

What are everyone's thoughts on this. Can sticking with the same Faction work? Or for the competitive side of things, everyone should pick/get a random faction every game?

Thanks for your thoughts and information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without spoiling anything too bad...

Due to packets opening and different game effects occurring, factions will asymmetrically be given new powers and weaknesses. Also, scars and other effects added to the board will definitely favor some factions over others from time to time.

In fact there will be additions to the game where faction selection becomes an almost essential part of the experience, and by sticking to a single faction, you will be outright ignoring part of the game's intended expansion content.

Trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, I was hoping to grow with anyone of the factions but I rather not trip up the game. I'll have to inform the group that it sounds pretty important to play it the correct way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that under the correct rules (at least as they come game 1, I wouldn't know about those kind of changes though), it is perfectly possible for everyone to play the same faction for all 15 games. Factions are not passed out randomly: they are drafted, in turn order, with a random player being given first choice and first turn. There's no reason that a player can't draft the same faction ad nauseum, as long as it is available.

So, what I'm saying is, don't try to make sure everyone uses different factions each game. Just let them draft. Chances are, most of your players will keep picking "their" faction, if that's the way your group wants to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But OHHHHH the temptation when one faction suddenly becomes cooler/not-so-cool compared to the others.

Don't eat the cupcake, you're on a diet!
But it looks sooo goooood...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack of spades wrote:
So, what I'm saying is, don't try to make sure everyone uses different factions each game. Just let them draft. Chances are, most of your players will keep picking "their" faction, if that's the way your group wants to play it.
Agree entirely. The draft rules are there for a reason. And the draft rules are going to be replaced by a sticker for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander West
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
In our world, we each have sort of pet factions. I think each of us has gotten to draft our favorite faction half the time, and gotten other factions about half the time.

I think there is a set of starting powers for which all factions are more or less balanced, but in reading most session reports, I don't think most groups have selected the balanced set of powers. (Though, of course, everyone in my group favors somewhat different powers. I think there is only one faction we all think is stronger than the others.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But that's the groupthink aspect: If a player (or players) think a faction, continent, or territory is overpowered, when it comes time for people to customize the board / add cities / select new abilities, they will tend to self-correct any perceived imbalances.

The winner/holders-on of a game already have the power to make areas more valuable by adding cities or coins to territories, or to take a clearly impregnable fortress and render it moot with a Cancel Scar or destroying its Territory card.

As an example...
3 Missiles & 9 Cities Spoilers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
When Europe ended up with Great Britain becoming the Great Glowing Island Crater (Fallout Zone) and Russia the proud owner of a toxic waste dump (Biohazard scar), it only felt right to give Europe the +1 Continent Bonus sticker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got this game I really wanted everyone to keep the same factions. I thought it would be better thematically and I wanted people to name cities thinking about how their faction would name them. It didn't turn out that way cause people wanted to try other factions and thought other factions were better than others. This is true. The factions are different and there are definitely reasons why you'd want to choose one over the other. You could easily balance it by ganging up on the player that has a slight advantage, it's not hard, but some people don't want to do that.

The game is meant to be played by switching factions, however. You would be changing the rules/intended play if you just automatically got the same factions every game. I still would like to try it out using the same faction as I think it would make the whole experience better and the theme would make more sense, but that may be just me.

Side note: I bought the game, it should be done the way I want it. But then again nobody would probably play with me if I did it that way. Oh well. Still a great game.

Side side note: I have never passed up an opportunity to pick my original faction. I have always gone for them given the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Barbuto
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was Enclave of the Bear three out of the five games I've played. If your group wants to start off having everyone pick the same faction every time, that's fine. Just be prepared to reevaluate this decision sometime in the future. It's pretty inevitable that you'll have to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Factions and players are independent in the rules, and there's no special reward for sticking to them. Being flexible has it's advantages; some of my starting locations work better with different factions.

Plus new, spoilery things might happen which players less likely to want to stay with the same factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.