Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the posts here but am still unsure on a few things:

1. How exactly to corners work? Does the Note in, say, the normal corner area indicate the speed at which you must enter the corner, only? Or do you have to exit at the same speed? It would make sense to accelerate out of a corner, so that you only need to follow the Note for the entry square and any other squares with a Note on them, then shift up as you move into the first "non-corner" square following, but I can't find anything explicit in the rules. Might be over-thinking it.

2. As I read the rules, if you're say in 3rd when you get a flat, you need to spend this turn shifting down to 1st, end your turn and take a 1st gear card, then start the next turn by playing your spare tyre card - so a double whammy of slow down/change tyre? Makes sense to me, but am not sure.

3. Do you shuffle the gear cards back in between Specials? With 2p there were plenty to see out all 3 without shuffling back in, but looking back that is likely to affect the probability of what cards are drawn when.

4. Starting order for S2 & S3 depends on earlier results - but does that mean fastest goes first or slowest? Seems to me going first is advantageous in that dirty corners won't affect you, but equally you won't know when to push hard since you're the pace man, in effect. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Numbers in corners are maximum allowed speed. You can go slower if you want to.

2. I believe when you get the flat tire, you just play the change of tire card, spent the minute and start from 1st gear.

3. Yes, I alway shuffle the cards between specials/stages.

4. I always played the fastest on the latest special/stage go last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rene but I don't think I was clear on Q1.

What I mean is, if you look here:

I know I can be in gear 1 to move into the corner, ignoring skidding.

What then? When I move off the corner, onto the next square, must I still be in 1st, or can I accelerate up to 2nd since I'm leaving the corner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
Beloch wrote:
Thanks Rene but I don't think I was clear on Q1.

What I mean is, if you look here:

I know I can be in gear 1 to move into the corner, ignoring skidding.

What then? When I move off the corner, onto the next square, must I still be in 1st, or can I accelerate up to 2nd since I'm leaving the corner?

speed restrictions are only in effect for spaces with numbers. in your example, the space following the corner has no speed restriction and you may move into it at whatever speed you like. thus if you take the inside corner at speed 1, then you can move into the next space at either speed 1 or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player with the fastest time should go first.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. As I read the rules, if you're say in 3rd when you get a flat, you need to spend this turn shifting down to 1st, end your turn and take a 1st gear card, then start the next turn by playing your spare tyre card - so a double whammy of slow down/change tyre? Makes sense to me, but am not sure.

Exactly what I thought - you had to slow down to 1 (or 0) gear before changing your tyre. That, to me, both makes the most sense and is the most thematically appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
dmcke013 wrote:
Quote:

Exactly what I thought - you had to slow down to 1 (or 0) gear before changing your tyre. That, to me, both makes the most sense and is the most thematically appropriate.

keep in mind that you're not required to change the tire in the turn immediately after it goes flat. it may be more convenient to wait until you're forced to shift into 1st gear or until after a loss of control.

however, it is true that if you decide to do a tire change, it must happen at the beginning of your turn and you must be in neutral or first gear. once the tire change is complete, you are then free to continue moving that turn. the tire change does not consume your entire turn.

i'd consider it a "double whammy" only if you geared down for no reason other than to change the tire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, it's useful to see one's own thoughts confirmed/denied/clarified.

I'm very comfortable now re: corners and the spare.

I'm thinking shuffling/starting position are both easy to adapt to preference, and that's backed up by some different views here on the 2nd stage start order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to change a flat tire.

If you do it, it costs like in real life one minute : look for this video.

But be careful :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL at the 2nd video! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.