Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi everybody,

Although i agree with some of eclipse playtesters who have played it heavily and recommend playing the game "as is", i'm very curious about the 5-player setup:

Players at the bottom get a really diferent start that those at the top - and even between the "toppers" there are diferrences. Maybe there is no balance problem, but anyway the 5-player setup stands out against the perfect simetry of other setups.

Is there anything i'm missing for the 5-player setup, or is different from the others?

I'll sugest creating some "warp zones" similar to the custom ones made for Twiligth Imperium, who has a similar issue for 5 player games, to get this 5-player setup:

Pink hexes would be "hyper-worm-holes", of Monthy-holes as i like to call them (for the phyton ), wich links wormhole-halfs existent on the end of the red lines. Light pink hexes will be enought in my opinion, but dark pink ones can be added for more simetry.

What do you think about it? The advice of more veteran players will be specially wellcome

I'm working on the warp aditional hexes (too much free time, i know...), they could end looking something like this:

For the credit, the idea comes from this work:

PD: corrected the proposed setup image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I really love the look of this, I must admit.

I'm interested to see players' impressions of this variant setup, as I've said before when aautio proposed a similar idea:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just make sure the two players with more expansion room are the last two to play on turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jotora wrote:
I'm interested to see players' impressions of this variant setup, as I've said before when aautio proposed a similar idea:

Is there a thread or post about this topic? I can´t find it, apart of the image you posted. If someone could provide a link, will be great.

I think 5-player standard setup would be balanced by players themselves, but anyway i think an alternative simetric setup would come in handy.

PS: ok, i found it: Re: Starting hex orientation question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I will necroraise my own post.

A ton of time later, i finished the image to improve the 5-player (and 3-4 player) layout.

Printable file can be found here: Warp Zone - printable file

It reduces asymmetry in 5-player games, and improve balance and reduce free space between players in 3 or 4-player games.

It's designed so it can be printed in an A4, either as is, or mounted over cardboard. A single print is enough for replacing the empty player starting zone in a 5-player game, resulting in a more symetryc setup.

Two or three warps zones can be printed for 4-player or 3-player games, each warp zone replacing a missing player, so there is less empty space between players, as in a 6-player game.

A bigger version of it was previously uploaded by aautio, which does not fit in A-4, but provides more connections for deeper tier 3 hexes and addituional options for different number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.