Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Faber
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, if they are sitting on one from a previous turn.

Also, can the leader include himself in a mission? I assume so but want to verify. Looking forward to game 1 tonight with 7 or 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes to both questions. It's even possible (though perhaps unwise) to give more than one plot card to a person in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
yes a player can have more than one plot card, the leader can even give two/three plot cards to the same person on a single turn. I would strongly recommend playing at least a few games without the plot cards first!

In most cases the leader should include themselves. You do trust yourself don't you?

And I would also tell people the first game is a learning game, and explain the rules as you go, spending 20 minutes explaining the game can set you up for a bad first experience - in general the first play goes pretty quickly anyways and the lights don't go for everyone until after its done. It also doesn't hurt if you ham up the accusations in the first game - that is what the game is about and spending too much time on the rules, or even the logic can lead you to missing the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Faber
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of using the plot cards because almost all of us are pretty big gamers and I wanted to make sure the game gave a good first impression. I think this group can handle it. If I remember I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the quick replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jettpanda wrote:
I was thinking of using the plot cards because almost all of us are pretty big gamers and I wanted to make sure the game gave a good first impression. I think this group can handle it. If I remember I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the quick replies.

I've heard this before, and I still recommend that you play at least one learning game without them first. You can explain them (briefly) but I've found that "gamers" tend to over analyze/lawyer the rules for their first game and generally miss the point (missing the forest for the trees). Unlike a strategy game, resistance is about the interaction not the rules.

I have taught the game probably 100 times to all levels of player skills - The Resistance has many layers of depth, but those layers are not the same as those found in strategy games, so its not a good assumption that gamers are going to see those layers right away. And if people don't at least enjoy the game without the plot cards, they are unlikley to really enjoy the game with them.

End of the day its your game so do with it as you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to note is that unless your group suffers from serious analysis paralysis, your first couple games will go quickly. I think my first game went under fifteen minutes, and even now they still only average twenty minutes or so. So it's not like you'll be making a huge time commitment by going with the first game or two without plot cards.

Personally, I prefer the game without them, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. My group has been playing it that you can't give multiple cards to the same person in the same turn. After about ten seconds of thought, I'm not going to correct anyone because it really is better that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also play without plot cards any time there is a new player. The rules are not complex even with plot cards, but it is good to keep it as simple as possible so that the newbie can focus on the meat of the game and quickly understand how players may bluff or carry out their deductions. You want them paying attention to the words and actions going on, not scratching their head trying to work out how a certain card is going to work.

Even just one game played like this will get their attention where it needs to be, and then you can add the plot cards in. Playing two or three games is also fine too - by then the new player(s) may have even decided that the spies have a big advantage, at which point you can bring up the plot cards and mention that they tend to even things up and give the Resistance a better chance.

Another issue with the plot cards is that a first-time player as a spy may panic if someone looks at their card and completely blow it, having no idea how to react in that scenario. It could really sour the game for them because they get the impression that nothing they could have done would have prevented them from being outed. That is of course not true once they realize (from non-plot games) that players are frequently not truthful and you can easily cast doubt on someone's accusation (even if that person knows for a fact)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jettpanda wrote:

I want to second Travis. I do not play with plot cards alot at my club. Most of my club can be considered big gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Faber
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for ignoring your advice. Frankly, I didn't see the additional posts after mine until now.

We played 3 times with plot cards. I'm not a big session writer, so here's the big picture.

8 players. Took quite a while because there was tons of discussion. "Well you said Gary was good so, either I believe you or you are a lying spy or you are both spies"

Games 1 and 3 came down to the 5th mission.

Game 1

In game 1 a couple of the spies were too quiet and we them out from there. One of them voted good on mission 1 to try to throw people off but later people thought it might be better to fall on your sword and get a win for the spies in Mission 1. The 3rd spy was great, and the game came down to me reading him over another guy we weren't sure about. My wife even thought the other guy was the spy. Since I was the leader I made a call on it. I eventually read his face and got him. Win Resistance.

Game 2

In game 2 I tried to nab the first leader as a spy right away. I argued that after seeing game 1 that he didn't try to get enough info immediately before picking a team. His team was voted down by Resisters for that reason and to get more plot cards in the game. Game 2 ended up being 3-0 Resistance.

Game 3

Was similar to game 1 where it came down to thinking we had a couple spies read and figuring out who the last good guy was. We weren't sure if one guy was good or not, but we felt we had to go with him because others weren't stepping up to claim goodness with enough arguments.
Game 3 won by the Resistance again in the 5th mission.

One guy thought afterwards that perhaps the plot cards were too strong, but I think the spies didn't play their best in any of the 3 games. I think if all 3 spies vigorously pretend to be good as long as possible they can turn the tides. 2 of our 3 games were close even without that. I was Resistance all 3 games so I can't say what it's like to have to lie all game yet. It looked like fun but I can imagine it is stressful too.

All in all, we have 8 new fans of The Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it worked out for you!

jettpanda wrote:
His team was voted down by Resisters for that reason and to get more plot cards in the game.

This makes me think you might have played plot cards a bit off, and made them more powerful than intended. Plot cards are only supposed ot be drawn at the beginning of the game and after each mission (max 5 times in a game) - voting down a proposed mission team wouldn't cause more plot cards to enter the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Faber
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes--that's perfect. Glad we don't have to fix the game, just our interpretation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Plot cards definitely add a layer of voting, because you can vote for or against missions on account of who will then be giving out plot cards. In the base game, I tend to vote based on where I am in the order for this mission or next mission... for example, I'll vote down the same team as I'll vote up for the next leader, just because I wouldn't get to be in the rotation for that next mission if I didn't do so. The trick is convincing the other players to let you do that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.