BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Financing a game translation... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe LECOMTE
msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I would like to find an easy way to produce a translation of a french game.

I was aked a lot if there was an english version of this game during his lifetime in France. The game itself was a success for me (in sales as in reviews) and i would like to find some funds to create and distribute a version of it abroad.

I'm thinking about Kickstarters for this project but, of course, it's only allowed for US people.

Do you think a self hosted social financing solution for a project like that could work ? (hosting a page like Kickstarter on my website, getting the funds directly as a prepayment)

What would be the down parts of this idea ? Refund management ? Risk for the backers ? no advertisement and social links ?

Any idea is welcome !

Cya soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find someone who will volunteer to translate it free, or for a copy of the game. You might ask in the Quebec forum if you don't get a response here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are the publisher ofthe game, what you could do is find an American publisher and work with them to see if t is viable to produce an English-Language version of the game. If the US publisher sees a demand they may find it out of pocket, or barring that, set up a pre-order system of their own / use KickStarter. They would pay the French publisher a percentage of sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe LECOMTE
msg tools
mb
Thanks for your answers...

Yes, a partnership with another publisher would be possible. But I must admit that i lack some US contacts.

I must add that :
- I'm the publisher of the game.
- English translation itself won't be a problem
- For me, the production is easy. It's like ordering more of the same game again but with english text.
- I don't want to lose too much the hand on this game (like a partner that would want to change the rules or the items inside...)
- My goal is, before all, financing the production of the game translated, not the translation. (My title seems a bit akward now ! ^^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Marlorme
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would consider talking to Cypher Studios in Portland Oregon. They are a relatively small company that mostly produces miniature games at this point. The reason I mention them is that they have experience working with French (and other European) game properties and are fairly well connected within the West Coast game production community.

If you like, I could put you in contact with their marketing manager (a friend of mine from university). But in the meantime, here is their website link:

http://cipher-studios.com/

On a side note, I am a French-fluent American gamer with some industry knowledge and French-English translation experience. I can understand if you already have contacts that you want to use for Translation, but after seeing more than a few awkwardly worded rule-books I would definitely make the argument that it is better to have games translated by a gamer when possible. It is hard for a non-gamer to understand the importance of consistent terminology and clarity of explanation in the context of rules-writing.

In any case, feel free to Personal Message me if you are interested in either of these leads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you could always hire a freelancer, there is a robust freelance translations community to tap into

here's one of the sites

http://www.proz.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mr. Vitek your best solution is to license the game to a small US based publisher to distribute and market in the states. Just give a region license. It happens all the time in the states. Many of our larger companies built their businesses on this concept (Rio Grand, Zman, etc)

So contact a few publishers you think you can trust and who you think the game would fit their line of products.

Good luck
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.