Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received the U.S. version from Cool Stuff (thanks!) and I received everything as normal except the coins. They are copper, not golden like the pictures posted, and instead of the symbol art on one side and the "1" on the other, I have the same symbol art on both sides. What up with that? surprise Nice version of the game non-the-less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sputnikam wrote:
I just received the U.S. version from Cool Stuff (thanks!) and I received everything as normal except the coins. They are copper, not golden like the pictures posted, and instead of the symbol art on one side and the "1" on the other, I have the same symbol art on both sides. What up with that? surprise Nice version of the game non-the-less.

I remember hearing an interview with RGG owner saying they needed to change those coins for the American market because some "issues" with some US laws. Sorry if I am being too broad in my answer but I am not a lawyer and don't live in the US to understand that. Maybe someone else reminds this issue better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was too much lead for US laws.

I'm interested to hear more though if the color has changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
As I wrote in my review:
Quote:
The standard version contains 54 doubloons (46x1, 8x5) made from cardstock, the Anniversary edition contains 60 metal doubloons (60x1), shining golden. The coins are small, but feel very solid. They weigh about 2,66 g each. Both sides of the coins are identical, they show no numbers.
As these coins contain too much lead they are not allowed in the USA. So the version for the USA will contain other coins, which should be very similar with a slightly different colour according to Jay Tummelson.

So it is normal that there are no numbers on the coins and the different colour is the normal version for the USA.
You could upload a good picture of these coins as the current pictures all show the european version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, I just picked up the game yesterday (US version), and the coins are indeed copper-looking rather than golden-looking.

They look a lot like pennies, frankly.

It's the one major disappointment in what is otherwise a very solid set of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the U.S. "gold coins" are, in fact, copper-colored. I finally received my copy yesterday (woot!), and I'm very, very happy with it except for:

- Copper-colored coins with no number
- No extra colonist/noble/coin pieces (in case any get lost; the original game featured extras)

If the original coins show up for sale at any point, I would be more than happy to snap them up--if they're not too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidStrategist wrote:
Unfortunately the U.S. "gold coins" are, in fact, copper-colored.

The rules just call them doubloons. But it is true, gold coins would look more valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Fact is, I'm so disappointed by the US copper-colored doubloons that I'm thinking there MUST be some European current-currency coins that are goldish-colored and the right size, with some reasonably appropriate engraving on them (or at least nothing so jarringly modern as to disqualify them).

If anyone finds an appropriate substitute and where to get 'em, pls let the board know. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also got copper-colored coins. I just took some pictures and uploaded the best one; if it gets past the GeekMod, it'll show up in the gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
The colour change is the only difference. There are not supposed to be any numbers on the coins. The coins in the box back photo are from Dominion:Seaside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was totally excited to finally get the anniversary edition. The box alone is gorgeous and reminds me of the bookcase editions of some older games.

But... coins that look like pennies? Don't get me wrong, the coins are really good quality. But since they look like pennies, they evoke the feeling of being cheap, instead of being valuable. And from afar they even look like pennies due to the size and shape soblue
I am very disappointed in them. I think I would rather have preferred a silver look than copper.

If anyone knows where to get better coins, then I would be interested, too. I even take plastic coins that look golden over these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've seen them at craft stores. I'll look next time I'm there which is frequent since my wife is a regular repeat offender attender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand about not wanting copper coins out of the box, but why can't you just paint them or (if you are really fancy) electroplate them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SystemShock wrote:
If anyone finds an appropriate substitute and where to get 'em, pls let the board know. thumbsup

Would something like these work?

http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Treasure-Coins-Doubloon-Replica...

http://www.amazon.com/Lot-100-Shiny-Pirate-Doubloons/dp/B001...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
EitherOrlok wrote:

Those definitely look the part (yay! ), but the description says they're the size of US quarters.

Might be a tight fit to pack 60 of 'em in the box with all the other components. The new double-thickness counters and much larger pieces (colonists, ships) do take up a lot of room. Plus now you have the expansion pieces too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those pirate coins look like wheaties...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Danath wrote:
Those pirate coins look like wheaties...

I believe that real doubloons were hand-struck, meaning that they were almost never perfectly round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why have all the nice gold lettering on the box and then open it up and get copper coins. The more I think about it, the more it really erks me. Pretty big disappointment if you ask me... I might buy from this guy:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
David Goldfarb wrote:
I also got copper-colored coins. I just took some pictures and uploaded the best one; if it gets past the GeekMod, it'll show up in the gallery.

Yup, here it is... and thanks for taking the photo. This is what mine look like too... pennies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agua Caliente
msg tools
mbmbmb
Certainly not as cool as the Euro version, but still not bad

I'm looking forward to mine arriving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're absolutely terrible.

I can't believe Rio would do something like that. Jay is usually better tuned in to things like this.

For me, having copper coins ruined the entire set. I returned it.

I'm going to get a Euro version instead. I don't care if they're made of plutonium. I WILL have gold coins in my set, and not that ugly copper crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb

$8 can of Design Master 24kt Pure Gold

I am sorry that the shot is a little blurry, but the coins are now gold and the stuff is not chipping off either. The paint adhered very well to the coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SystemShock wrote:
Fact is, I'm so disappointed by the US copper-colored doubloons that I'm thinking there MUST be some European current-currency coins that are goldish-colored and the right size, with some reasonably appropriate engraving on them (or at least nothing so jarringly modern as to disqualify them).

How big are the coins?

Would 10 Swedish kronor work?

They are more than a dollar each but well, it's a currency ..

10 euro cents is worth slightly less (20 and 50 look the same):

Cool:

What about real gold coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StercusCaput wrote:

$8 can of Design Master 24kt Pure Gold

I am sorry that the shot is a little blurry, but the coins are now gold and the stuff is not chipping off either. The paint adhered very well to the coins.

I'm tempted to do this but have a degree of different colors. Some silver, some 12k gold, leave some copper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GI Joe wrote:
They're absolutely terrible.

I can't believe Rio would do something like that. Jay is usually better tuned in to things like this.

For me, having copper coins ruined the entire set. I returned it.

I'm going to get a Euro version instead. I don't care if they're made of plutonium. I WILL have gold coins in my set, and not that ugly copper crap.
With euro you mean German? I assume the other european versions are also rio grande versions (though maybe with other coins since it was a US issue but did they really ship with two different versions?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.