Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played our first game last night and really enjoyed it, myself and my non-gaming brother Neil had it out for each other early, me taking south America and him taking north. We both ended up playing ammo shortages on eachother's crossing points, making them easy to take and hard to hold. Unfortunately he broke through my defenses into the rest of my unprotected continent. He grabbed my HQ and left me scrambling to survive. Since Neil had two Territory cards already, it was looking pretty bad, but Kirk and I teamed up and managed to break into North America through alaska and greenland, and eventually take Neil's HQ from him. Sadly, he took it back and claimed the win.

Neil, whose life motto is that risk is always mean to him, is anxious for the next game. He Creatively named his continent "North America", and myself and Kirk founded (respectively) "Seth's Favela" and "Far-Outlands".

This leaves me with a couple of questions:

1: The rules are somewhat ambiguous on what to do with unused scar cards (kirk kept his bunker), I assume you return it to the deck, but that's a bit unfair to kirk since we both used ours...
Also when we play later this weekend, we will already have gotten two scar cards out, but our friends (who will be joining as player 4 and 5) will not have the opportunity...
I guess we just play with what we have when we have it.

2: Do you have to pay the price of defeating the entrenched resistance if it is your own city that has been founded (but not started in)? My gut says yes because the rules make no exception...

I'm excited for the next game!
Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Unused scar cards are returned to the stack of undealt scar cards, and scar cards are only dealt to the players at the start of a game if there are enough for every player to have one. This is only "unfair" to Kirk in that he elected not to play a scar. Everybody gets equal opportunity to play them. Beyond that, Bunkers and Ammo Shortages don't have any sense of ownership.

2) You must defeat the entrenched resistance of any city on any expansion move. Ownership is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to that, as least with the base game rules, Minor Cities don't really have ownership either. I'm not sure if it changes as the game progresses, but at least at the beginning, placing a Minor City doesn't necessarily benefit the player who placed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
To add to that, as least with the base game rules, Minor Cities don't really have ownership either. I'm not sure if it changes as the game progresses, but at least at the beginning, placing a Minor City doesn't necessarily benefit the player who placed it.

*Except that it is a starting location for you alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not. Major Cities are starting locations for you and you alone. Minor Cities hold no such value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my, I didn't know that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to double check the rules the first time as well. As far as I can tell, the only benefits to placing minor cities are:

...getting closer to opening the 9 Minor Cities packet.
...preventing another player from starting in a particular territory.
...increasing the value of territories near a Major City you've placed previously.

Of course, there may be more stuff in the packets that affect Minor City placement, but I don't know about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true, and that's something I found in my third game last night. North America is littered with Minor Cities, and it took me three full turns to cover the continent, even without anybody attacking me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.