Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so my gaming buddies are dragging me kicking and screaming back into the realm of MTG. I’m an MTG old timer, last set I bought into was Urza’s, and while I’m really not excited about getting back in the game, if I don’t I’ll be the only one not playing, and that’s no fun.

So, I picked up a box of Innistrad, which looks pretty cool, and I really dig the Werewolves. I got a good collection of the red and green werewolves, my favorite colors by the way, and 2 copies of Garruk, yay! I also have 4 copies of the other key cards like Moonmist and Full Moons Rise.

My question is, how good are the Werewolf decks vs like a Black vampire deck or a white and blue control deck? I know that’s a vague question but I’m just trying to gauge a werewolf deck in general, are they any good? Is it something that I’m just going to get beat down every time and get frustrated and hate the game again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well one trick to Magic is that they "pre build" some decks to appeal to casual players. THese decks usually WON'T hold their own against competitve decks, but will be just fine against other casual decks. One thing I'd suggest is use them with Garruk. He's a really fantastic card and can make beautiful things happen for you. Another trick is don't cram every werewolf you own in "just because." THAT'S where people will get stomped... a lack of consistancy. Look at the minor interactions like Mayor Of Avabrook and Delver of Secrets. Mayor actually pumps the Delver, because she's a human on both sides. You wouldn't expect that if you JUST looked at werewolves alone.

CHeck out Daybreak Ranger and Reckless Waif... very aggressive and a great abilities... but then there are plenty of horrible werewolves that would clog up your deck and make for frowny times. If you think Mayor/Ranger/Waif at the "best" werewolves... look at the other options and see what could make THEM better. Keep mana costs on the low end and you should have a scary fast "werewolf" deck that they might not see coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
... a scary fast "werewolf" deck that they might not see coming!

I LOVE the sound of that! Thanks Pete!

I do have 1 Mayor and I think 2 rangers, and enough waifs. I can already tell this is going to kill me about this game, its gonna be hard to build the deck I want without trading/buying singles!

Thanks for the tips!

Fast and scary...I like that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second everything Pete suggests - Garruk and The Mayor are the powerhouse cards. If you trade for cards, definitely try to get more mayors.

I ran a red/green werewolf deck like you describe with my casual group - it was fun to play, but didn't get many wins. It was weaker in multiplayer, where there were more opportunities for my opponents to flip my werewolves back over.

You might want to ask your buddies if it's ok to run with some proxies, as a compromise to getting back into the perils of Magic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a Red/Green Werewolf deck for a little while, once at FNM and some casual play. It was fun and I just used cards that I had. I'll post the list a little later so you can see what I did. I haven't been playing Magic long, so just take the list with a grain of salt.

Maus

Edit:

Here's the list, sorry it took me a while. I had some luck with it going 3-3 in FNM. I could have gone 4-2 but I was getting tired and misplayed a card and did not get enough damage to finish off my opponent.

The numbers you see are chosen because that's all of the card I have for the rares/mythics...

1x Garruk Relentless
2x Mayor of Avabruck
3x Gatstaf Shepherd
2x Daybreak Ranger (love this card, I need to pick up the other 2)
2x Villagers of Estwald
1x Grizzled Outcasts
2x Village Ironsmith
2x Kruin Outlaw
3x Instigator Gang
2x Full Moon Rise
4x Moonmist
4x Noxious Revival
2x Bramblecrush
1x Hunter's Insight
1x Elder of Laurels
1x Kessig Cagebreakers
1x Brimestone Volley
1x Quicksilver Amulet
1x Sword of Body and Mind

2x Rootbound Craig
2x Kessig Wolf Run
8x Mountain
12x Forest

Sideboard cards included:
ancient grudge
Full Moon Rise
Brimestone Volley
Incinerate
Naturalize
Ambush Viper

Hope that helps a little. It was fun to play and I still have it together but I'm now playing a Tempered Steel type deck and trying to put a Burning Vengeance deck together.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
I second everything Pete suggests - Garruk and The Mayor are the powerhouse cards. If you trade for cards, definitely try to get more mayors.

I ran a red/green werewolf deck like you describe with my casual group - it was fun to play, but didn't get many wins. It was weaker in multiplayer, where there were more opportunities for my opponents to flip my werewolves back over.

Are you saying the werewolf deck in general didn't get many wins, or specifically a red/green werewolf deck? I think I could manage getting more mayors, would that change the deck?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the werewolf theme is going to be competitive at all. We do play casually, but we are competitive and generally our decks get to tournament status eventually. If Werewolves aren't going to be able to keep up, I'm not sure if I want to focus and invest in them.

I have several thousand cards mainly from Urza's set and prior, most of which have never been played with, so I might take them all in to my FLGS and see what I can get for them, but right now, I wouldn't know what to even trade them for except werewolves. Maybe I should wait until the next Innistrad set to come out before I do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well keep in mind that we're a month away from a new set which is going to give us more wolves. We don't know what, but there might just be enough to make WW a force in competitive Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gdotbat wrote:

Are you saying the werewolf deck in general didn't get many wins, or specifically a red/green werewolf deck? I think I could manage getting more mayors, would that change the deck?

It was a specifically red/green deck with 4x of mayor, daybreak ranger, waifs, moonmist, full moon rise, 2x Garruk, and a smattering of other werewolves and removal cards.

It could have been the decks I played against, but it always seemed like a struggle to keep my guys on the board and flipped.

I've since thinned out the moonmists/full moons down to 1x moonmist (mostly used for the fog effect) and 2x full moon rise, and it has done a little better.

Hopefully, there will be better R/G Werewolf support in the next set, but as it currently stands, they aren't very competitive (but again, that really depends on the group you play with...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
spoon wrote:
...and The Mayor are the powerhouse cards...
Well, I am a powerhouse, thank you for your kind words!

As for werewolf decks, I don't play one, so I can't help you.
BUT as an old-timey Magic geezer myself, I welcome you back!

My interest in Innistrad has gone like this:
*set announced*
Interested
*art released*
Very interested
*cards spoiled*
Less interested
*set released*
Not interested
*every damn website talking about the damn set*
Increasingly interested
Officially bought some

So I am still learning.
Although I will say it would be a good idea to pick up some M12 packs to bolster your deckbuilding options with some good staple cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend against Full Moon's Rise in a werewolf deck, I really don't think it does enough. I would heartily recommend Prey Upon's though.

Trying to get an early start with Reckless Waif / Mayor is indeed a good idea, as those two can really run away with games, but having played 4 of Mayor in my standard deck for a while now I can say it is not too common to have it flip. Moonmist could be worthwhile if you can make the payoff high enough, but keep in mind there are good odds your opponent will be able to play two cards and flip them back.

When making an aggressive deck for serious constructed play one question that is very important to answer for yourself is "What will I do if they wipe the board?" A very large number of decks these days play 4 of Day of Judgment, and a lot of creature decks just fold to that. One (not necessarily great) answer is to keep some Full Moon's Rise in your sideboard to bring in against it. Another option that I've often found useful in this format is Kessig Cagebreakers, which use your giant pile of corpses as fuel.

A couple other random cards to consider: Lead the Stampede and Kessig Wolf Run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second a lot of what delirimouse said. Bear in mind that I'm a relative beginner who just started playing a lot in June and play in a very casual environment with just my girlfriend, but I haven't found Full Moon's Rise pulling its weight, either. My opponent doesn't have Day of Judgment, so I don't know how that affects a werewolf deck, and maybe in that case I would put some Full Moons back. I do think Reckless Waif is a great card, so maybe hold one or two in your hand to rebuild fast if the board gets wiped. The Mayor should be good for that, too, since he's cheap. I load up on Moonmists, because they can get your guys dangerous all those times your opponents have flipped them back to humans.

Maybe I should put in my Kessig Cagebreakers.

I second the Prey Upon, since you'll probably need something to deal with flyers, though with Red, you can also put in direct damage. Generally, don't forget that any cards you can play on your opponent's turn can help you manage how many spells you cast in any one turn. Kessig Wolf Run is good as a mana sink in a werewolf deck, better than the mana-sink wolves that come in the set. I took out my wolves.

All that said, I find that getting my guys to flip into werewolves can tend to slow my side of the game down, since I'm sometimes playing a turn with no spells or with only Moonmist. If you don't flip your humans into werewolves, they turn out to have been a little expensive, after all, and vulnerable, too. The werewolves are not my most successful deck, basically, though they are fun, which is important to me. I would wait to see what Dark Ascension brings. There is supposed to be a legendary werewolf in it, and who knows what else.

Well that was a lot to say, considering I'm a newcomer, but I hope there's something there that's worth considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
There is supposed to be a legendary werewolf in it,

I am pretty sure they only said Mythic werewolf. Legendary would be a pain for a double faced card because there could be two copies on different sides which wouldn't make sense. That is why even though it seems like there should only be one Mayor in Ayubruck he isn't legendary.

Edited to Add: Please feel free to come back here and quote this and mock me when the spoilers come out in a couple weeks and there is a legendary werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
Curtis Anderson wrote:

I am pretty sure they only said Mythic werewolf. Legendary would be a pain for a double faced card because there could be two copies on different sides which wouldn't make sense. That is why even though it seems like there should only be one Mayor in Ayubruck he isn't legendary.

Edited to Add: Please feel free to come back here and quote this and mock me when the spoilers come out in a couple weeks and there is a legendary werewolf.

My memory isn't that good. It could very well have just been a mythic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
delirimouse wrote:
Curtis Anderson wrote:

My memory isn't that good. It could very well have just been a mythic.

Mine either. I pointed it out because I found the reasoning for it amusing, not just to be contradictory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
Kessig Wolf Run.

This card is crazy. It turns any of your creatures into a lethal threat. It's the long plan for when your werewolf blitz assault fails to take out the enemy early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Lots of great suggestions here, thanks guys! I may have to buy another Innistrad box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gdotbat wrote:
Wow! Lots of great suggestions here, thanks guys! I may have to buy another Innistrad box!

I tried to make all my suggestions cheap cards that could be acquired pretty easily, so if you have a local store that sells singles you can probably fill out your deck just by doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
gdotbat wrote:

I tried to make all my suggestions cheap cards that could be acquired pretty easily, so if you have a local store that sells singles you can probably fill out your deck just by doing that.

Yeah, I wouldn't get another box. Just scour ebay for playsets, and usually you're going to find good deals, and many at free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.