Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

See last post for most up to date information!

Updated 01/02/12

MOON BEANS RULES

The elderly wizard Zeljin zipped and zapped around the woods collecting ingredients for his dinner. Looking forward to his world-famous toadstool and cactus burgers, he returned at sunset to his treehouse hidden atop an ancient sturdysprout tree on the edge of Gnarlwood Forest. Removing his cloak, he discovered a hole in his bag of Magic Jelly Beans. Oh, no! they must be scattered all over the forest floor. Even worse, these were Moon Beans, which can only be seen by the light of the moon. Dangerous creatures come out at night in those woods and the old wizard can’t see in the dark. He needs you and your friends to find them and bring them back. He has promised a reward of fun treats and magic spells made with the mashed magic beans.

Components
• 6 Jelly Bean Menus
• Deck of 36 Recipe Cards
• 80 Jelly Bean Tokens
• 80 Stickers (76 Jelly Beans & 4 Monsters)
• 1 six-sided die
• 1 plastic bag
• 1 Large Game Bag

Setup
1. Randomly place the 60 tokens face down where all players can reach them.
2. Give each player a Jelly Bean Menu
3. Shuffle the Recipe Deck and reveal the top three cards where all players can see them.
4. Roll the six-sided to die to determine who goes first.

Players: 2 - 6
Ages: 12+
Game Time: 30 min.

Game Play
Players will take turns flipping tokens and searching for pairs of jelly beans in the following way.
Choose two tokens from the pool and flip them face up.
• If the two tokens match, then you get to keep them for your menu
• If they do not match, check the recipe cards. If they match one of the recipe cards, collect that card and flip a new recipe card face-up to replace the one you collected. If they don’t match each other or any of the revealed recipe cards, flip them back face down.
• If you flip a Monster, you must put one pair of jelly bean tokens you collected previously back into the pool face down and shuffle the pool. Remove the Monster token from the game.
After you have flipped two tokens and resolved them, play moves on to the next player.
The game ends when all 76 Jelly Bean tokens have been collected.

Scoring for the Win
Once the game ends, each player matches up the collected beans to his or her menu board to score amusement points. Each collected recipe card is also counted for amusement points. The player with the most points wins the game!

This is the basic premise for a kids game of matching and thinking ahead to score by mixing the jelly beans they found to fill recipes on their individual recipe card.

Things I would love some help with...
- How do you feel about Moon Bean Magic?
- Since there are FAR too many combos to attempt to include them all, I'd love some Ideas for cool / funny jelly bean combos

Any feedback / advice / help is appreciated!

This started with a poll and if you'd like to vote in that poll or view the conversation that it started, here is the link. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/741131/memory-game-opini...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Jelly Bean Matching Game
Modified on 12/30/11

8x R Red = Rage, Heat, Spice
8x Y Yellow = Fear, Acidity, Daylight
8x O Orange = Warmth, Fire, Dawn
8x G Green = Envy, Growth, Mint
8x B Blue = Moon, Sadness
8x V Violet = Fruity, Dusk
8x K Black = Chocolate, Mud
4x D Dots = Silly, Weird, Comical
4x S Stripes = Altrernating, Streaks
4x W Rainbow = Happiness, Childishness
4x L Lightning = Weather, Divinity, Electricity
2x C Chameleon = Substitute for Anything
4x Monster Tokens
==
80 Total Tokens

The solid colors are most common with Dots, Stripes, Rainbows, & Lightning uncommon and 2 Chameleon Beans which are wild and can be substituted for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ok Mr. Levi - I owe you a favor - here we go!

14 in all.

Combinations of 2 - including themselves (red&red)
= 14*14 = 196

Combinations of 3 - including themselves (red&red&red)
= 14*14*14 = 2,744

Combinations of 4 - including themselves (red&red&red&red)
= 14*14*14*14 = 38,416

I think "jelly bean" is probably trademarked so I would call them something else. Magic Bean? I think something simple like Wizard Beans is cool for the kids

-im only doing up to the colours so if you are doing only a few rare ones then feel free to pick and choose (perhaps a magic multicoloured jelly bean that beefs up the points/power of whatever its added to?)

I have set up a google doc for you: (anyone with the link can edit this!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtHBSLtdU3tXdGc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Miteff
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
loving the Wizards Beans name.

might want to just stick with the basic rainbow colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet, then add black. (gotta have black jellybeans!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moon Beans? I like the sound-alike with Moonbeams. And the moon sounds magical. Maybe they are invisible during the day but can be seen in moonlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
Moon Beans? I like the sound-alike with Moonbeams. And the moon sounds magical. Maybe they are invisible during the day but can be seen in moonlight.

I like the name Moon Beans and the idea of them only being visible at night. This might be the reason the Wizard can't go after them himself and I could add some creature tiles that could steal your beans if you flip them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the "beans" could be translucent or even those glass markers used in Pente which can be bought in big bags at Michaels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
the "beans" could be translucent or even those glass markers used in Pente which can be bought in big bags at Michaels.

This would be hard to do different colors for, but you definitely helped me flesh the game out with the moon beans idea, check the intro narrative above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Three comments:

1) Monsters will steal whole pairs of beans, not just single tokens, right? Single tokens might be less frustrating, but then you'll have to re-think the end condition, as it could end in a stalemate: 4 monsters and one bean of each color left.

2) Not every combination of two (three, four) ingredients needs to be a valid recipe. Pineapples go nicely with red chili peppers (give it a try). Pineapples with whipped cream are sweet. Whipped cream with chilies is gross.

3) Splitting the game into two disconnected phases sounds, uhm, disconnected. I get x goal cards, I know which set of bean tokens I'll get points for. I'll try to fulfill the goal that gives me most points first, from there the tension goes downstream. (Play-testing may prove me wrong)

I think I'd like a mix of easy face-up goals (3? beans, open display of 2-4? goal cards) and more difficult personal goals (5-6? beans, starting hand of 1-2?). On your turn you turn x beans face up, and if they match one of the face up recipes, you take the beans plus the recipe, and flip another recipe face up. If not, you turn the beans back face down, or you may reveal one of your personal goal cards and flip further beans face up. If you can fulfill the personal goal, you put it in your score pile and draw a new one, otherwise you discard it and everybody gets to draw an additional personal goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since each recipe will be on it's own card, you have room to be creative & funny.

Some combo's could be his mom's recipe for chocolate rainbows-the cookies she made for him after sorcerer's school. And btw, also cures...

Work on the spells to give them a bit of a story. I like your intro and think you should continue that tone & character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I wrote the word "cards", I was envisioning something more like menus or mats with many combinations listed on them, with each menu or mat being unique.

After reading your responses though, I am now thinking that maybe a recipe deck of poker sized cards with a different recipe on each card might be a good way to go too. Maybe we could do both!

At the start, the menus are in play and three recipe cards are revealed face-up from the recipe deck. These recipe cards can only be collected by revealing the combination on the card (which would all be un-matched pairs).

You would only collect tokens that were matched pairs for your menu, but if you revealed an un-matched pair that matched a face-up recipe card you would collect that recipe card (each card would be worth points) then flip a new recipe card face-up.

Also you're right about the Monsters needing to steal pairs of tokens. They would also need to cause the Beans to get shuffled so that the next player couldn't just pick up the pair that was stolen and so that no one would know where the Monster is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated the rules to account for the conversation thus far.
Thanks for all of the great input / feedback!
Please keep it coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of quick and rough mock-ups of the Menu boards and Recipe Cards as I see them now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:

I have set up a google doc for you: (anyone with the link can edit this!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtHBSLtdU3tXdGc...

I have modified the Google doc since I now am looking for recipe names for the cards. These can be spells, treats, creatures, whatever seems cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what the community comes up with!

Thanks for setting this up Sam M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been lucky enough to attract artist Aaron Tichy to our project.
http://knightofchrist.deviantart.com/

Here are a couple of samples he has whipped up in the last few days for our Moon Bean stealing creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Moon Bean stealing creature from Aaron.

Do you have any feedback about the art I can pass on to Aaron?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
Ok Mr. Levi - I owe you a favor

I don't know how in the world that is possible.
If anything I owe you a half dozen or more.

I think you are really going to be impressed with Aaron's art.
These samples are just the tip of the iceberg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the crits are great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
the crits are great

Glad you like them Matt.

Here's the last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
levimote wrote:
Cogentesque wrote:
Ok Mr. Levi - I owe you a favor

I don't know how in the world that is possible.
If anything I owe you a half dozen or more.

I think you are really going to be impressed with Aaron's art.
These samples are just the tip of the iceberg!

Very nice, I love the pokemon/digimon kind of harmless smooth cartoon style. Very nice

I like the one with the big eyes the best ^^ the green dude.

Perhaps some feedback: make a non-scary or non-powerful lookin' one for the girls? A sweet one like a dark green angel winged butterfly fish thing or something like that? As opposed to "all moody and scary creatures" fair enough they are "bad" but perhaps one could be "mischeivious" instead of "evil" ?

Also get him to do a logo up. Not front cover: logo. I think, looking at his pictures, he would be able to do a very very good job of it.

"Moon Beans" right?

Edit: Have filled in all of your missing blanks on the google spreadsheet feel free to use all or none of them as you see fit - remember levi to take a copy of that because anyone can access (and if they want: delete or change) it
p.s. Show us more art from that dude- looks nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:

Very nice, I love the pokemon/digimon kind of harmless smooth cartoon style. Very nice :)

I like the one with the big eyes the best ^^ the green dude.

Perhaps some feedback: make a non-scary or non-powerful lookin' one for the girls? A sweet one like a dark green angel winged butterfly fish thing or something like that? As opposed to "all moody and scary creatures" fair enough they are "bad" but perhaps one could be "mischeivious" instead of "evil" ?

Also get him to do a logo up. Not front cover: logo. I think, looking at his pictures, he would be able to do a very very good job of it.

"Moon Beans" right?

Edit: Have filled in all of your missing blanks on the google spreadsheet feel free to use all or none of them as you see fit - remember levi to take a copy of that because anyone can access (and if they want: delete or change) it :)
p.s. Show us more art from that dude- looks nice :)

Yeah the "Cheshire Frog is one of my favorites too. Aaron didn't make it easy to chose just four, he gave us 6 sketches and they were all great!

He's working on both the cover and the logo now (separately).

Yes Moon Beans is the title we fell in love with.

These are great bean combos Sam! Maybe I will expand the recipe deck to 54 cards, I don't know if I can pick out just 36 I like best. One more sheet of cards per game should effect the printing cost by that much.

I will keep you guys updated with art and playtest info as it comes in.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New art piece.

Moon Beans Logo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Miteff
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
might look a little (better? cooler?) if the title stayed within the outline of the moon. Warp the letters so they all fit.

Also, MAYBE having colors letters (for each bean represented) would be another idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Heya Levi,

Did our artist friend do this or someone else?

I like the glow and the moon itself.

With the effects you have on the letters it is a little tricky to see the words without squinting a bit. If hits is going to be a kids game, I would probably make the litters a little bigger and more obvious. The M is nice but for example, I would say the N and the A are quite scrawny and not as comforting as the moon and the background want it to be.

I could try and find a nice font for you and show you another style that it could be like if you want to forward me the lovely moon glow background?

Hope all is well

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron did this piece as well as the creatures. It was his first attempt at a logo and I think he pulled it off quite well.

I'll give him the feedback you are all providing and see what he thinks.

This is why getting more opinions and feedback is always a good thing.

I thought this logo looks great, but I'm not making a game just for me to enjoy.

I am always impressed with an artist's ability to take my abstract thought and make a piece of art out of it.

Sam M, you know I will always look at anything you want to put together for me.

Thanks for the feedback folks, please keep it coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.