Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to try this; but what can I say. I'm lazy and don't want to spend the time printing it out. Given that it's all (apparently) open information the only thing needed would be a card shuffler. Has anyone run this as a PBEM/PBF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Given that a game consists of ~450 player actions and includes free-wheeling and phase-less open negotiation among players, PBeM does not seem particularly viable.

ObNote: What companies are in the game and in what order, is not open information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn “Beorn” Rabenstein
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While JC's analysis is fundamentally sound, I'm actually planning to try out PBEM in the not too far future. I'm used to 18xx PBEM, with groups that sometimes indulge a lot in negotiations. In practice, I don't expect that much of a difference.

If there were a bit of software to support managing the game state, PBEM (or some kind of online play) would even have specific advantages. I used a couple of simple Python scripts to calculate the numbers you can find on the various cards of the game. I'm planning to integrate these scripts into something bigger that can support PBEM (calculate income, adjust share prices, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was actually staring at the share price cards until I figured out the fundamental structure ... a bit of manager software to keep track of state would go a long way to making PBEM easy. (Having played Here I Stand PBEM, Rolling Stock doesn't seem a real problem ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Patterson
United States
Ringgold
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Rolling Stock is card based, a custom game created in ACTS should work to keep track of cards and randomize it.

http://acts.warhorsesim.com/login.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have very little experience with PBEM, but I too am lazy and think this game sounds interesting. So I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn “Beorn” Rabenstein
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running two experimental pbm games right now (started during the last two days, so we are still in T1...).

Their status pages are linked off here:
http://rabenste.in/rollingstock/

If that works out well, I might run a demo PBF game.
And at same point, the scripts I'm using here might reach a state of maturity so that I can distribute them. Or even implement interactive online play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn “Beorn” Rabenstein
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First game completed successfully.
I think we can try a PBF game. I'll post a separate announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.