Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if there are any variants of go out there with stones (say, one per side) that cannot be captured. You can could play the special stone in place of a normal stone, and it - and any stones it is connected to - cannot be captured.

At the least, you could easily settle at least one ko fight or turn a seki into death for the other player. You might also have a guaranteed invasion.

Anyone see any rules problems with such a variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
It would automaticlly make any group it was in alive. Place it as your firt stone and build out; nothing could ever be captured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
It would automaticlly make any group it was in alive. Place it as your firt stone and build out; nothing could ever be captured.

Of course, your opponent could do the same. But early use would really change the game. Perhaps you could only introduce the stones after 50 or 100 moves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
mschlat wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Of course, your opponent could do the same. But early use would really change the game. Perhaps you could only introduce the stones after 50 or 100 moves?

I still think it would bear the logic of the game. Basically that single stone would act like a complete double eye-- a configuration of many stones-- and it could be instantly dropped anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a go variant (well, more of a whole new game) where it is illegal to make a move that reduces any group to 0 liberties. This makes all stones uncaptureable. A friend who played it at a conference said that by far the worst player at the conference was Jujo Jiang, 9 dan professional; he simply could not see many moves that were terrible in true go, but good in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
mschlat wrote:
Anyone see any rules problems with such a variant?

What exactly does "X cannot be captured" mean?
(a) If X would be captured, simply leave it on the board. OR
(b) The opponent cannot make a move that would capture X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.