Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: Any (Inner) Eastern Suburbs Gamers Out There rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Van de Gumster
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi All - Seasons Greetings,

Andrew here, I am a gaming tragic from way back.

Looking for some folk to do some gaming with - the last of my gaming mates moved from Melbourne a few months back. I am happy to write and DM a D&D campaign, do some table top war gaming or just do some 1 on 1 board gaming.

Looking for folk based in the inner eastern suburbs if possible.

So let me know if you are out there!

thanks

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The inner east is within range of my usual activities. I am a bit set in my ways when it comes to roleplaying, but it wouldn't take much arm twisting to get me to do some wargaming or board gaming. Feel free to browse my profile to see if it lines up with anything you want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev
Australia
St Kilda
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.melbournegamers.com
is where most people organise games. Look under Clubs and Events and Organise a Game.

Billabong Boardgamers meets every Tuesday from 7pm until late in Chadstone:
Amaroo Neighbourhood Centre
34 Amaroo Street, Chadstone
NE cnr w/ Bolwarra Street
Melways: 69:H2

Eurogames Fest meets First and Third Sunday of every month in Kew:
Time: 10am till 6pm
Venue: Melbourne Bridge Club
30 Cotham Rd KEW (Upstairs)
January 1 is the next meeting.

Another group that organises both party and strategy games is on meetup.
http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Van de Gumster
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Luke,

hey thanks for your prompt reply. I currently own the board games Arkham Horror and the old Yoquinto, Ironclads, Civil War Naval cambat game. Love the latter and enjoy the former (but it can take a long time to set up and play). I have played many other types with gaming mates.

I live in Elsternwick so I am not that far from Southbank. What do you have that you might be keen to play?

cheers

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Van de Gumster
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks Trev - I will check these links out.

Happy New Year,

cheers

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew - welcome to Melbourne. There are gamers everywhere!

Aneirin and I are in Carnegie. We mostly play Euros, but I dabble in wargames and I have been a roleplayer since the early 80s. There are a bunch of nearby gamers.

Your best source for information about boardgames in Melbourne is MelbourneGamers: http://www.melbournegamers.com/index.php

If you have transport, I really recommend Billabong - it's close by, friendly, and you will meet a lot of keen gamers. http://www.melbournegamers.com/viewforum.php?f=8

Dockers and EuroGamesFest are both great as well. Plenty of info on MelbourneGamers.

Once university restarts, there are two game groups that meet at Monash (Clayton campus). Both are open to non-students and are very, very active:

The Monash Boardgames Society is three years old and there are about 20 members. They meet on Monday nights. I don't have much information for this year, but I'll keep you posted if you are interested.

MURP (Roleplayers) is 30 years old and has 60+ active members. They meet on Thursday nights and there are usually 10 or more campaigns. They have a couple of camps every year (where we play boardgames!) and the club is incredibly social. There are constant unofficial events, at least a dozen more "at home games", BBQs, parties, what have you.

Otherwise, if you want to pursue roleplaying, come along to Arcanacon and meet hundreds of us: www.arcanacon.org . The convention is just over three weeks away, and we'd love to meet you. That might sound intimidating (hundreds of players!) but don't be fooled- everyone is friendly and there is no pressure to play games you don't like or pay lots of fees. And it's a great place to meet other players and make contact. Plenty of boardgamers there too.

Last of all: check out NearbyGamers.com It's a free service that uses googlemaps to locate games and players close to were you live (click on the middle icon under my avatar).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Van de Gumster
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Ozludo

hey thanks for all that great detail! I am still searching through the assorted options that have been posted but I expect that given we live within cooee of each other I will be in touch.

cheers & thanks

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another plug for the Meetup site (which regularly advertises the groups Cafe Games, Corkman and EGF, and occasionally others)

For a while I've been keeping a summary list of the active boardgames groups here:
http://cafegames.wordpress.com/melbourne-boardgame-clubs/

Ozludo, if there's a better link for the Monash Boardgames Club at any stage, could you send it through? Ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

The "best" link for Monash Boardgames Society is here. It's an old post of mine from 2009 which I keep updating and editing. MBS suffer from an affliction felt by many small clubs at Monash - the capriciousness of the University facilities office. They keep changing our venue with minimal notice. Uni will restart in about 4 weeks and there will be more information then.

MURP is a much larger club, and has been meeting in the Law Library basement tutorial rooms for several years. Their website is http://murp.arsimagica.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that, I'll link to that shortly.

Ozludo wrote:

MURP is a much larger club, and has been meeting in the Law Library basement tutorial rooms for several years. Their website is http://murp.arsimagica.net

Law library basement, eh? I know they didn't used to meet there.

But when I came to join years ago the application form said
"Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of FOME?"

laugh So clearly I had to leave quickly before my FOME allegiances were uncovered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops I see that I already started linking to that Monash Boardgames forum page last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Law library basement, eh? I know they didn't used to meet there.

But when I came to join years ago the application form said
"Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of FOME?"

laugh So clearly I had to leave quickly before my FOME allegiances were uncovered.

Law Library for the last 3-4 years. Wholefoods before then. Prior to ~2000 there were various meeting rooms and the Cellar Dining Room, but the Union Building was redesigned about ten years ago and most of the old rooms disappeared.

The MURP/FOME rivalry dates you! 1988±3 years? There are maybe 2 people left who remember what that was all about. These days the clubs are so intertwined that they co-ordinate their committee meetings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
msg tools
Hey man, I'm pretty keen. Maybe send me a message on here and I'll get back to you? Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.