Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Victory Condition Questions [Spoilers Possible] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Warren
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just started playing a couple games of Legacy, and I have not opened any packets yet. My question is, do the victory conditions ever change from needing 4 VPs? I ask because even after everyone has won a game (and no longer get the bonus VP), I don't see everyone trying to get 3 more VP making for a deep game.

If the victory conditions do change, can someone post which packet or packets has the changes (in spoilers to keep others happy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orvin wrote:
I just started playing a couple games of Legacy, and I have not opened any packets yet. My question is, do the victory conditions ever change from needing 4 VPs? I ask because even after everyone has won a game (and no longer get the bonus VP), I don't see everyone trying to get 3 more VP making for a deep game.

If the victory conditions do change, can someone post which packet or packets has the changes (in spoilers to keep others happy).

I have opened all of the openly-visible packets except for the World Capital one, and it is safe to say that none of them change the 4 VP winning condition. However, packets can and do offer additional means with which to earn VPs. Some of them are publically accessible, while others may be specific to certain players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't opened all packets/pockets, but I'll note the following strictly from the rulebook:

The victory conditions are not listed where stickers could overwrite them. 4 Stars as an always-and-forever victory condition seems to be a very safe assumption.

The rules do explicitly discuss the prospect of destroying HQs. Coupled with losing the "never signed the board" stars, this raises the possibility of Red Stars being gained only by turn-ins, missions, and other in-game events. That certainly would make for a longer game.

Of course, what you said was a "deep" game, and I don't think that necessarily maps well to "long". Legacy shouldn't ever become the slogfest that is traditional Risk. It likely will remain a game that punishes inattention and rewards decisive action with rapid victory. There's also the question, due to the nature of Legacy, of whether strategy and consequences are better evaluated on a per-game basis or in the scope of the whole campaign. Whether or not that constitutes "depth", though, is your own decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis "Moped" Sell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
I for one welcome our new computer overlords.
badge
Excuse me while I go put out some fires, literally. -ENC Matt Paniczko
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has long discovered that the player who sits patiently, waits, and builds, is the player who gets ignored while the person who act sweeps up the stars and wins. Over and over and over again this game proves to really have changed from the preconceptions of Risk. I start to ask myself if it would've just been better to call this game "Legacy" so that people wouldn't always assume it's "just another Risk."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Warren
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was asking because the early games end up being so short, only 3 or 4 rounds with the first and second round being mostly expanding into uncontested territory.

After thinking a bit, this is mostly due to people having the extra VP at the start for not having a win. Once those are all gone, the game should hopefully take a little bit longer. Also, there is nothing stopping my group from changing the victory conditions ourselves after the board is finalized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter 'Pedro' Goins
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dselljr wrote:
I start to ask myself if it would've just been better to call this game "Legacy" so that people wouldn't always assume it's "just another Risk."

Risk 2210 lasts for a total of 5 turns every game. From what I recall, Risk Godstorm is the same. Granted I've not played some of the other recent Risk games, but from what I've seen most of them don't suffer from the never-ending troop buildup that the original had. Strictly compared to the original, few really seem to qualify as "just another Risk."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.