Popular Tags: [View All]
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is based on one called "Carc Island[geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3374390#3374390][/geekurl]", which I found at some point on these boards some years ago.

The premise is that you draw up to 48 tiles (plus the starting tile, which is placed at the centre of the table). You produce a grid of 7 by 7 tiles. The placement rules are identical to the normal rules.

The placement of meeples is identical to the placement according to the normal rules.

When you draw a tile that you cannot legally place, you put it in your "hand". You can hold up to three tiles in your hand. When you draw a fourth tile that you cannot legally place, the game ends immediately.
Otherwise, you keep drawing, placing tiles (and you can draw from the hand as well), place meeples and remove them to score VPs until you have completed the grid. Then, the game ends with a complete victory.

This is how you score:

During play, you score your meeples and write the scores down. When the game ends with a full grid, you get 100 points, score the remaining meeples and add it all up.

When the game ends without the grid finalized, you score one point per placed tile, but you score the remaining meeples and subtract that number from the total score (previously scored meeples plus number of tiles placed). This way, there is an incentive to keep scoring meeples especially when your hand is up to three.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the variant. I remember this 'island' varient from a year back or so. For scoring, does the edge of the island complete all features? This is how it's done in Carcassonne: The City. As you place walls around the board the roads and other features are considered finished. I assume the same applies here otherwise you will score only as 'incomplete' features.

If this is how you play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buck380 wrote:
Thanks for the variant. I remember this 'island' varient from a year back or so. For scoring, does the edge of the island complete all features? This is how it's done in Carcassonne: The City. As you place walls around the board the roads and other features are considered finished. I assume the same applies here otherwise you will score only as 'incomplete' features.

If this is how you play it?

Sorry, it took me so long to reply. Yes, indeed, anything that is on the edges is unfinished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.