Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the thing I love the most about Haggis is that the face cards are open information, and I wonder how the game might play if they weren't the only cards visible to the opponent.

So what if, from his initial hand of 14, each player were required to layout out X of them on the table?

What should X be for optimum fun/interest?

What's wrong or right with this idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
X=0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you explain the rationale for your contention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I enjoy Haggis as is, your idea might be workable as a variant. In players bid by playing cards in front of them. The more confident you are that you will be able to make your bid the more cards you will willing to disclose. However, the difference is that Mü is a partnership game, so the bidding also allows the winning bidder to select their best partner, and for potential partners to show cards to attract the chief.

It might be interesting if similar to Mü players took turns playing cards in front of themselves and players could pass. If after all players pass one player has disclosed more cards they would get some kind of an advantage, and a bonus if they succeed in going out first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the rationale for having other cards open? I would suggest the only reason that face cards are visible is because they are the only non-random part of the deal.

Would other games be improved if more concealed information was made public? I doubt it.

In this case I think it would reduce the fun/surprise card plays. It would reduce skill (players are more likely to just see which plays will be succesful rather than use intuition/gamesense). I think it would also slow the game down - games with lots of public information promote AP as players take time to sift through what is in front of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
Ok, the thing I love the most about Haggis is that the face cards are open information, and I wonder how the game might play if they weren't the only cards visible to the opponent.

So what if, from his initial hand of 14, each player were required to layout out X of them on the table?

What should X be for optimum fun/interest?

What's wrong or right with this idea?

Opinion only:

I love Haggis the way it is. By exposing X-cards from your hand, it's going to lose alot of the initial analysis/guesswork that comes with climbing games. Seems it would reduce the tactical options that are possible because more cards are exposed. It might lead to more forced /restricted plays.

Play as you wish. I just don't think there is anything to improve by using this variant. Opinion Only.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I love Haggis the way it is. By exposing X-cards from your hand, it's going to lose alot of the initial analysis/guesswork that comes with climbing games. Seems it would reduce the tactical options that are possible because more cards are exposed. It might lead to more forced /restricted plays.

Play as you wish. I just don't think there is anything to improve by using this variant. Opinion Only.

You certainly may be right. I hope to try it nonetheless. I can think of two arguments for trying it:

1. arguably, one could make the same argument about the face cards, which *are* open information, and yet having them open adds a lot (at least for me)

2. Another possible means of bluffing: by choosing the cards you lay out, you may be able to manipulate your opponent into adoption incorrect assumptions about what you're up to.

maybe. idk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.