Eclipse» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Fighting with the Space Pirates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antti Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 player session with Touko (Wardness of Megellan), Sampo (Enlightened), Antti A (Exiles), Saku (Rhondi Syndicate) and Janne (Terrans). I had Wardness of Megellan and sat between Touko (right) and Sampo (left).

I was the starting player for the first round and began by exploring 1st ring. There after I tried to explore so that I'll leave route open to the center while blocking the connection to the other neighbour. I drew 1st ring tile with a ancient which blocked the way to Sampo's area and therefore I kept the route free to Touko's hexes.

Unfortunately I also drew a worm hole tile next to my home tile and left door open for the Syndicate (Sakus's space pirates) who also had discovered a worm hole in the other side of the galaxy. This threat forced me to try and talk a alliance with Touko who also had similar threat as I and we formed Star Alliance. Saku had a choice to attack Janne (and probably sweep him into nonexistence) but he came through the worm hole and began a nasty early game war with our alliance.

This meant that I had to concentrate in getting defensive techs as better guns, missiles, improved hulls, computers and lots of star bases in strategic positions. Lost of fighting meant that I draw reputation tiles hecticly and got got 4,4,3 (plus ambassador with Touko). Saku attacked recklessly with his fleet since fighting ensured him nice race bonuses but eventually my star bases were too strong for his fleet.

We were starting the round 8 when I got a message from my pregnant wife that she needed my help and I had to leave. Fortunately the alliance with Touko enabled him to play my turns for the rest of the game. Maybe we'll hear the rest of the story from another participant but in the end Sampo snatched the victory with 39 points, Janne and Antti A (allied) took the second place with 38 points, me and Touko (allied) got 36 points and Saku's Syndicate was last with 16 points.

Fun, fun, fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worm holes? Space Pirates?? My god i want more info! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Desana
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wowwowwow
That's unfair...

We need more details... goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a great game, thanks guys!

In retrospect (things are always so easy to assess in retrospect, aren't they? ) I shouldn't have agreed to the alliance, since even after losing the GC to Touko on the final round (which cost me 5 points) I would have had 42 VP on my own and taken the game alone easily.. still, it was interesting to try this mechanic, even though it ended weighing me down in the end. I like how it works.

The game was very close, actually, since if we had won any one of our four fights on the last round instead of losing them all, Janne and I would have won. Now the bickering of our two alliances (and the pirates) just ended up handing the victory to Sampo, who (was forced to) turtle(d) the entire game.

This is still a bit of a problem with the Enlightened, that they seem to favor a quite boring play style. We played a second (four-player) game after this where I played them and this seemed to be the case there too (although that was emphasised by the fact that I practically lost the game on round #2 after making an unwise hex placement on round #1 and then getting brutally pounced on by bloodthirsty Syndicate pirates - thanks a lot Touko! ). I'm sure a proper "fix" will be found, though. The Exiles I like very much as well as the Syndicate of course (although they are truly nasty! But then again, they should be). The Wardens I still haven't tried.. need to fix that ASAP.

One thing I have to say about Developments and Rare Techs is that while they bring a lot of variability and open up different opportunities and strategies (which I absolutely love), they also crank up the chaos factor a bit. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I had almost no way to properly calculate who was winning and whether the alliance would be a beneficial choice for me or not even though I tried. And no-one even noticed Sampo buying that Dev which ended giving him 9 VP in the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the warp hexes are great. They change the dynamic of "always hit your neighbour" and give better opportunities for interaction.. Although I'm not sure cane necessarily agrees with me here.

One thing this session (and the one that followed) proved once again is that the Galaxy is a very small place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
Also, the warp hexes are great. They change the dynamic of "always hit your neighbour" and give better opportunities for interaction.. Although I'm not sure cane necessarily agrees with me here.

It wasn't too bad actually since I got allied because of it, we won points because of it and it definitely increased the interactivity on the board. What is interesting though is that drawing warp hexes also force you to think whether you want them in your vicinity or not (keep or discard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cane wrote:
aautio wrote:

It wasn't too bad actually since I got allied because of it, we won points because of it and it definitely increased the interactivity on the board. What is interesting though is that drawing warp hexes also force you to think whether you want them in your vicinity or not (keep or discard).

That's very true. I discarded one (probably the first time ever that I've discarded a hex!) because I didn't want to invite the pirates in my back yard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way we could get any information on the kind of stuff you guys are testing? I feel like I'm listening to a conversation from another room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyHexagon wrote:
Is there any way we could get any information on the kind of stuff you guys are testing? I feel like I'm listening to a conversation from another room.

I'm sorry we're teasing you with all these new concepts, but I'm afraid we can't go into details.. That's up to the designers (and I'd wager they're unwilling to divulge too much yet as so many variables are still in the air.. including the decision whether there's going to be an expansion in the first place). But suffice to say there's plenty of stuff in the works to be exited about.

In the meanwhile there's nearly endless replay value in the base game alone. There's no need to feel like you're missing out or anything. I'm definitely happy to play vanilla Eclipse every chance I get, since I really like the clean and streamlined gameplay experience (and don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean the expansion stuff would make the game a mess by any means).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyHexagon wrote:

This is a sneaky way to announce the first big expansion for Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah i'm far from worried about replayability with whats in the box. Just fun to know what is getting kicked around. I am looking forward to the possibility of acquiring the Supernova mini-expansion though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Isn't that nice?
A glimse to the next expansion... alliances seem to add Victory points some way and pirates (we heard about ideas on that stuff) are about to come as well...

Great news! Love this game! I hope to get my wife into it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio De Michele (Erebus)
Italy
Castelfiorentino
Firenze
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game publishers are often afraid of expansions, because they sell less than new games. But I think expansions are a nice idea to a publisher, because you "fidelize" the players on your brand, like FFG and other big publishers do.
That way you could sell more easily new games.

It's unfortunate that most game publishers have no idea of what a "decent brand communication and marketing program" is

Anyway, I really hope to see an expansion for eclipse, it's such a kind of game that could easily mantain variety just by adding a pair of races, new techs and hexes, every year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sullivan
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giorgio -

This is EXACTLY what I was saying to a few of my friends just yesterday. Eclipse doesn't NEED expansions, but it lends itself to being a potentially richer experience with expanded tech trees, more tiles, and different species.

The potential for play variation is pretty large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The alliances sound really cool. I love coop games and this would add a coop feature to Eclipse! Really, really cool . I hope we'll get more infos about this soon .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
The alliance score sounds like it would be the average of the players in the alliance or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.