Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: The downside to buying from a FOLGS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed buying games from online retailers for some time now. One downside I have recently discovered is trying to time your order when all the games you want are there at the same time.

Kind of a hassle actually.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if other stores do it, but at boards and bits you can have them hold your order. I've done it several times, and then have them add to the order when additional items arrive in stock. I think that there's a 50 cent fee, but it's worth it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to nitpick, but is this really an OLGS-specific issue? Unless you order a bunch of stuff ahead of time, in my experience most brick-and-mortar LGSs aren't likely to have everything you want whenever you happen to drop in, either.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
Not to nitpick, but is this really an OLGS-specific issue? Unless you order a bunch of stuff ahead of time, in my experience most brick-and-mortar LGSs aren't likely to have everything you want whenever you happen to drop in, either.


I didn't specify, but when buying at an olgs I can qualify for free shipping when spending a certain amount of money.
If I go to a local store, the cost of shipping is distributed across the purchase price of each game I buy, and there is no incentive to purchasing five games rather than two.

The only drawback to buying one game when looking for five at a local gamestore is that I might have to drive there again.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Surplus will also hold orders (they did this for me when I preordered Ninjato and I asked Thor to hold the order when it came in in case I wanted to toss some other games in the order as well). I agree, though; this isn't a online store-only issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur on not really considering this is a valid complaint, or one that isn't inherently obvious in any process of bulk ordering a variety of items with independent release dates. It isn't a valid indictment of online game stores or an advantage of brick and mortar stores - they both get the items in when they are released, and if you're trying to make a large purchase from either you choose from what they have in stock or you wait.

As for online stores holding orders, game release dates are notoriously flaky, and online stores getting the items soon afterwards isn't always certain either. Be certain what you're signing up for, because a major (possibly *months*) delay can occur on the basis of just one item in a large order not arriving on time. I've had this occur many times, with several online stores (more than once because the store itself delayed when they received a released item by their own decision), including all of those stores so far mentioned in this thread. But again, this is not news, its the particulars of the business - order what is in stock and get it soon, or order what isn't released yet and wait an unknown amount of time. In the later case, you've probably got *plenty* of other games to play while you're waiting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KGBRadioMoskow wrote:
Concur on not really considering this is a valid complaint, or one that isn't inherently obvious in any process of bulk ordering a variety of items with independent release dates. It isn't a valid indictment of online game stores or an advantage of brick and mortar stores - they both get the items in when they are released, and if you're trying to make a large purchase from either you choose from what they have in stock or you wait.

As for online stores holding orders, game release dates are notoriously flaky, and online stores getting the items soon afterwards isn't always certain either. Be certain what you're signing up for, because a major (possibly *months*) delay can occur on the basis of just one item in a large order not arriving on time. I've had this occur many times, with several online stores (more than once because the store itself delayed when they received a released item by their own decision), including all of those stores so far mentioned in this thread. But again, this is not news, its the particulars of the business - order what is in stock and get it soon, or order what isn't released yet and wait an unknown amount of time. In the later case, you've probably got *plenty* of other games to play while you're waiting.

My understanding is that HOLDING in this case is not referring to pre-orders, but to buying items while they are in stock, then holding for more items as they become available.

We do this all the time.

Tom
Boards & Bits
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
My understanding is that HOLDING in this case is not referring to pre-orders, but to buying items while they are in stock, then holding for more items as they become available.


The mechanic basically works the same, with similar issues. There isn't the uncertainty of the game not yet being released, but there is the uncertainty of whether the distributor has it in stock, whether the publisher has any stock remaining (or is awaiting a secondary shipment from their printer), and when the online game store makes its own order. All of which - from my repeated experiences - can collude to result in significant delays in the order.

Some of my longest delays for a game order have come from items that have already been released, and yet just didn't end up in stock at the particular online retailer for weeks or even months after release for various reasons.

Anytime you hold an order for *any* item not in stock, be willing to accept a waiting period, and that the wait could be longer than anticipated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KGBRadioMoskow wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:
My understanding is that HOLDING in this case is not referring to pre-orders, but to buying items while they are in stock, then holding for more items as they become available.


The mechanic basically works the same, with similar issues. There isn't the uncertainty of the game not yet being released, but there is the uncertainty of whether the distributor has it in stock, whether the publisher has any stock remaining (or is awaiting a secondary shipment from their printer), and when the online game store makes its own order. All of which - from my repeated experiences - can collude to result in significant delays in the order.

Some of my longest delays for a game order have come from items that have already been released, and yet just didn't end up in stock at the particular online retailer for weeks or even months after release for various reasons.

Anytime you hold an order for *any* item not in stock, be willing to accept a waiting period, and that the wait could be longer than anticipated.

In this case the customer gets to decide when it's time to pull the trigger without modifying the order or having to worry about cancellations and refunds. Much simpler and more control.

Tom
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP's complaint is legit and it's great that B&B has a system in place to meet customer's needs. It's one of the reasons they're a notch above almost all the other online stores.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
The OP's complaint is legit and it's great that B&B has a system in place to meet customer's needs. It's one of the reasons they're a notch above almost all the other online stores.


Fixed that for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
My understanding is that HOLDING in this case is not referring to pre-orders, but to buying items while they are in stock, then holding for more items as they become available.

We do this all the time.

Tom
Boards & Bits


Yeah? How does it work? I'd be interested in doing this. I'm currently TRYING to place an order with you for six games, but two are pre-orders due in the next two weeks and two are simply sold out because of the holidays (I assume). If I could just buy things, toss them on the pile, and have you send them once they're all in, that'd be great! Right now if I try to check out, I'm charged shipping because I don't have enough in stock to qualify for free shipping. Maybe I just mark "warehouse pickup" and leave a comment?

You spell it out and the Christmas moneygifts will come your way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:
My understanding is that HOLDING in this case is not referring to pre-orders, but to buying items while they are in stock, then holding for more items as they become available.

We do this all the time.

Tom
Boards & Bits


Yeah? How does it work? I'd be interested in doing this. I'm currently TRYING to place an order with you for six games, but two are pre-orders due in the next two weeks and two are simply sold out because of the holidays (I assume). If I could just buy things, toss them on the pile, and have you send them once they're all in, that'd be great! Right now if I try to check out, I'm charged shipping because I don't have enough in stock to qualify for free shipping. Maybe I just mark "warehouse pickup" and leave a comment?

You spell it out and the Christmas moneygifts will come your way.

DEAL!

Just place an order for whatever you can and add a comment during checkout to "Hold for more items". You'll have to pay for shipping, but as soon as you reach $98 total, I'll refund the difference as a coupon. From that point you can order what you want to add and select the COMBINE shipping option, stating in the comments to "Continue to hold" or "Ship away".

Let me know if that's not clear

Tom
Boards & Bits
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I can vouch for the fact that Tom's system works well. I usually have an "in progress" order, and am able to get whatever's in stock shipped whenever I need it shipped. Combine that with the fact that his Shipping Folk are more careful than those of any other store I've ever purchased from, and he presents (in my observation) a winning combination of convenience and service.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B&B shipped me a huge Splotter game (Roads & Boats) across the country during their warehouse sale, and it was packed so well it was as if it had ridden on a cloud. And this was with free shipping.

Sam ordered my Christmas copy of Ora et Labora from B&B, and I'm looking forward to it. I was really happy when he told me where he had ordered it, because I know Tom will take care of us.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
I think you explained things fine but I just want to make 100% sure as I'm thinking of using this great feature of your site in the future. In my case, I'm interested in buying a copy of a game as soon as it becomes available but won't have enough for free shipping. I'd like to hold that order and add other things (though I don't know what) at a later date. Based off what you've said, I think this is how it works.

1) Order a game.
2) Put "Hold for more items" in the comments.
3) Pay the price + shipping.
4) At some later date, purchase additional games pushing me above the free shipping limit.
5) Put "Ship please" in the comment section.
6) You will then ship my original order plus this new order together and issue me a coupon for the price of shipping for the original order.

So, that's correct, right?

Alternatively, I could continue making orders and put "Continue holding" on each order until I reach the limit or am satisfied with the size of my order.

This is a great feature if that is in fact how it works.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shivstroll wrote:
I think you explained things fine but I just want to make 100% sure as I'm thinking of using this great feature of your site in the future. In my case, I'm interested in buying a copy of a game as soon as it becomes available but won't have enough for free shipping. I'd like to hold that order and add other things (though I don't know what) at a later date. Based off what you've said, I think this is how it works.

1) Order a game.
2) Put "Hold for more items" in the comments.
3) Pay the price + shipping.
4) At some later date, purchase additional games pushing me above the free shipping limit.
5) Put "Ship please" in the comment section.
6) You will then ship my original order plus this new order together and issue me a coupon for the price of shipping for the original order.

So, that's correct, right?

Alternatively, I could continue making orders and put "Continue holding" on each order until I reach the limit or am satisfied with the size of my order.

This is a great feature if that is in fact how it works.

Sounds right. Give it a shot, and if something's not right, we'll fix it

Tom
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.